TV Shows: What are you watching?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: TV Shows: What are you watching?

Post by dbr »

No. Although IMO it's been going downhill for a season or two now.

We'll see what the next season brings, I guess.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Benjo wrote:Am I the only person on this board that watches It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?
OMG, it's so wrong that it's so funny. Am I wrong for liking that?
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

True Blood and Who Do You Think You Are. Preferrably the British version, but the US one is OK too.
I also enjoy watching History Channel and a fair amount of sports (ie hockey and soccer).

Oh, hey, I like The Big Bang Theory too, but don't tell Doc... :wink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Per wrote:True Blood and Who Do You Think You Are. Preferrably the British version, but the US one is OK too.
I also enjoy watching History Channel and a fair amount of sports (ie hockey and soccer).

I guess having a big bad Viking Vampire as one of the lead characters helps the ratings in Sweden for True Blood.

Do you guys get it as it's being aired here in North America or is there a delay?

BTW, "Eric Northman" is BADASS! 8-) :mex:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Per wrote:True Blood and Who Do You Think You Are. Preferrably the British version, but the US one is OK too.

I guess having a big bad Viking Vampire as one of the lead characters helps the ratings in Sweden for True Blood.

Do you guys get it as it's being aired here in North America or is there a delay?

BTW, "Eric Northman" is BADASS! 8-) :mex:
They're only airing the third season here right now. But of course you can see the fourth season streamed on the interwebs.
And yes, Alexander Skarsgård has had a phenomenal start on his US career. First Generation Kill, then True Blood. Guess among younger kids he may already be better known than his father, Stellan. He has. Couple of brothers that are actors as well, but I think they have only worked in Sweden so far.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hey Per, do you like BBC Kenneth Branagh Wallender? I got into last year and my EuroTrash Gurl™ 8-) bought me one of Henning Mankell's books in the detective constables library (forgot to add to the iReedz thread) that she had read. Pretty grim shyte. The series captured the xenophobic feel of the books quite good. How did you like the original Swedish series?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Arachnid wrote:Hey Per, do you like BBC Kenneth Branagh Wallender? I got into last year and my EuroTrash Gurl™ 8-) bought me one of Henning Mankell's books in the detective constables library (forgot to add to the iReedz thread) that she had read. Pretty grim shyte. The series captured the xenophobic feel of the books quite good. How did you like the original Swedish series?
I don't want to knock Branagh, he's a fine actor, and apparently the Brits are very enthusiastic about this series. Still. To me, as a Swede, it's sort of surreal. You have all these British people running around in a Swedish setting speaking English while pretending to be Swedes...? And seriously, they don't look very Swedish. Especially the women are a dead give-away. Too much makeup, odd hairdo, English looking wardrobe... Nope. Too weird for me. I like Henning Manckell's books, and I think the original Swedish series, based on the nine books, was quite good. After that you have had the Germans produce about 20 more with a mix of Swedish and German actors, based on the characters of the books, and then now there are the British ones. I actually haven't seen any of the German/Swedish co-productions, but they're supposedly a huge hit in Germany, just as the Branagh version is in Britain. I like the original series though, that seems more realistic, imho. Guess the foreign productions have been too eager to milk the Swedish exotica out of it all that it just ends up strange to us. :?

By all means, read the books though, and based on English language reviews of the Branagh version of Wallander, I guess it may be alright to watch for those of you who aren't Swedish. ;)

Am somewhat nervously looking forward to the American version of the Millennium movies.... :-|
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Per wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Hey Per, do you like BBC Kenneth Branagh Wallender? I got into last year and my EuroTrash Gurl™ 8-) bought me one of Henning Mankell's books in the detective constables library (forgot to add to the iReedz thread) that she had read. Pretty grim shyte. The series captured the xenophobic feel of the books quite good. How did you like the original Swedish series?
I don't want to knock Branagh, he's a fine actor, and apparently the Brits are very enthusiastic about this series. Still. To me, as a Swede, it's sort of surreal. You have all these British people running around in a Swedish setting speaking English while pretending to be Swedes...? And seriously, they don't look very Swedish. Especially the women are a dead give-away. Too much makeup, odd hairdo, English looking wardrobe... Nope. Too weird for me. I like Henning Manckell's books, and I think the original Swedish series, based on the nine books, was quite good. After that you have had the Germans produce about 20 more with a mix of Swedish and German actors, based on the characters of the books, and then now there are the British ones. I actually haven't seen any of the German/Swedish co-productions, but they're supposedly a huge hit in Germany, just as the Branagh version is in Britain. I like the original series though, that seems more realistic, imho. Guess the foreign productions have been too eager to milk the Swedish exotica out of it all that it just ends up strange to us. :?

By all means, read the books though, and based on English language reviews of the Branagh version of Wallander, I guess it may be alright to watch for those of you who aren't Swedish. ;)

Am somewhat nervously looking forward to the American version of the Millennium movies.... :-|
Yeah well, you can't blame me for trying...I will have to check-out the Swedish originals. Need to find subtitles though, maybe the German co-productions will be better for my language skills.
Not everything Hollywood touches is crap, most remakes but the Swedish horror film 'Let the Right One In' was apparently redone very well, haven't seen it though and I don't usually see a film when it's redone no matter who did it. I mean, what's the point if you've seen the better original? The Japanese The Ring was far better than the remake but The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was not the strongest Swedish trilogy, the 2nd & 3rd films were pretty weak so don't count the English versions out yet...but this belongs in the movie thread :P

Manckell's last Wallander English translation was just released here so I havn't picked it up (but it is my birthday soon -hint hint hunny :sly: )
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Arachnid wrote:
Per wrote:

Yeah well, you can't blame me for trying...I will have to check-out the Swedish originals. Need to find subtitles though, maybe the German co-productions will be better for my language skills.
Not everything Hollywood touches is crap, most remakes but the Swedish horror film 'Let the Right One In' was apparently redone very well, haven't seen it though and I don't usually see a film when it's redone no matter who did it. I mean, what's the point if you've seen the better original? The Japanese The Ring was far better than the remake but The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was not the strongest Swedish trilogy, the 2nd & 3rd films were pretty weak so don't count the English versions out yet...but this belongs in the movie thread :P

Manckell's last Wallander English translation was just released here so I havn't picked it up (but it is my birthday soon -hint hint hunny :sly: )
Looking at imdb.com, the average score for the original films were 6.2, for the Swedish/German co-production series 7.1 and the Branagh series 7.8, so I guess from an English speaking point of view, the originals may not do anything for you. :|

The Germans have helped produce a stunning 26 episodes though, so if you're going for volume, you may want to check those out. But only a handful of those are based on books by Manckell, the rest are just based on the characters created by him. :P
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

No more Entourage at all (although I still have to watch the last 3 episodes) and no more True Blood for the season.

I'm trying to find a positive light in the last season of one of my favourite shows (Entourage) but I feel it's been hanging a little bit here and there. When the movie comes out, it better be kick ass... :mad:

Fall line up is with Rescue Me and its very last season as well. I have been sucked into this show hugely because I am a big Dennis Leary fan. Apparently this season they are going to be really messed up. Hopefully they go out with a bang.

Walking Dead starts in October, I believe. Looking forward to that. I went onto the AMC website to check it out and see some previews. Looks good so far.

That's about all I need, I have hockey and football and baseball playoffs to carry me until November. :)
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

If anyone watches Spartacus: Blood and Sand it appears that Andy Whitfield (played Spartacus on the show) died on Sunday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Boardwalk Empire season 2 starts Sunday. Season trailer looks pretty sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-B8RjzO ... ure=relmfu
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Rumsfeld wrote:Boardwalk Empire season 2 starts Sunday. Season trailer looks pretty sick.

IMO, it's the best show on TV right now. Game of Thrones is pretty damn good also but I say it's Boardwalk Empire by a nose....
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

ODB wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Boardwalk Empire season 2 starts Sunday. Season trailer looks pretty sick.

IMO, it's the best show on TV right now. Game of Thrones is pretty damn good also but I say it's Boardwalk Empire by a nose....
Yeah. It's not Sopranos good but it's pretty fuckin' good.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Rumsfeld wrote: Yeah. It's not Sopranos good but it's pretty fuckin' good.
You know I think it has the potential to be Soprano's good. Thing about the Soprano's was every now and then they'd hit you with some dark humor. It really added to the show. I think the Pine Barrens episode was the best one made. Damn it was funny! Christopher and Paulie take the Russian to the woods to kill him after a grouchy Paulie starts a fight for no reason by breaking his remote control. After shooting him in the head the Russian gets up and runs away.... Paulie and Christopher chase him but lose him in the woods getting lost themselves in the process. Paulie then thinks he hears Tony say the Russian killed 16 Czechoslovaks and he's an interior decorator, instead of Special Forces.... It's so friggen funny. I laugh no matter how many times I've seen it!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P