TV Shows: What are you watching?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: TV Shows: What are you watching?

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

For a show with only 2 episodes left Entourage is sure going out with a fucking whimper. Just pathetic this season.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hoss
CC Rookie

Post by Hoss »

All in the game.
The Wire is the best show I've ever seen.

Big fan of GRR Martin's books, liked Game of Thrones quite a bit too. That fat bastard is going to leave HBO in the lurch though if they decide to keep going with the series... no way Winds of Winter is coming out before the series catches up.

Entourage has the weakest, limp-dick premise for a show I've ever heard of. Saw a few episodes, but the very idea of the show made me want to barf in my mouth.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Hoss wrote:All in the game.
The Wire is the best show I've ever seen.
So many people say that yet... it was only nominated for two Primetime Emmy Awards and it never won. It almost adds to the legend of the show. It was nominated for a bunch of bullshit awards and it won a few but to regarded as the best drama ever, and to be completely snubbed by the Primetime Emmy Awards is shocking. A stark contrast to the 101 nominations and 21 wins the Soprano’s pulled in. Maybe the Wire ended up being a little like The Big Lebowski. While it was there critics didn't appreciate the brilliance. It wasn’t until after the fact everyone realized what great piece work they were seeing.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Love the scene with Bunk and McNulty at a crime scene where the 5 minute dialogue consisted of only one word...

"Fuck"

Fuckin' classic.

I've only seen a few episodes here and there, but evidently Treme is a solid HBO series as well. Starts off right after Katrina hit New Orleans and follows the community as it re-collects itself.

Bunk from the Wire, among several others, are a part of the cast.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ODB wrote:So many people say that yet... it was only nominated for two Primetime Emmy Awards and it never won. It almost adds to the legend of the show. It was nominated for a bunch of bullshit awards and it won a few but to regarded as the best drama ever, and to be completely snubbed by the Primetime Emmy Awards is shocking. A stark contrast to the 101 nominations and 21 wins the Soprano’s pulled in. Maybe the Wire ended up being a little like The Big Lebowski. While it was there critics didn't appreciate the brilliance. It wasn’t until after the fact everyone realized what great piece work they were seeing.
It's almost like they both have some sort of "cult following," if you will. :sly:

Anyway I've never seen The Wire, despite people telling me for years it's the best thing ever. It's not that I don't want to.. just haven't got around to it yet.

Lately the show I've been watching the shit out of is Louis CK's most recent series on FX. Good stuff, really bizarre at times and not really all that linear (for better or worse). I'd recommend it personally, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear people don't enjoy it that much.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

BladesofSteel wrote:Love the scene with Bunk and McNulty at a crime scene where the 5 minute dialogue consisted of only one word...

"Fuck"

Fuckin' classic.
Ya...lol. That was in season one. Friggen funny scene... They piece together the circumstances around a womens murder only saying fuck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ODB wrote: Maybe the Wire ended up being a little like The Big Lebowski. While it was there critics didn't appreciate the brilliance. It wasn’t until after the fact everyone realized what great piece work they were seeing.
I liked the Big Lebowski immediately upon seeing it in the theatre. Ditto for the Royal Tennenbaums. I also liked the Wire and Curb long before it became fashionable to do so. Usually the critics are late to the party.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ODB wrote: Maybe the Wire ended up being a little like The Big Lebowski. While it was there critics didn't appreciate the brilliance. It wasn’t until after the fact everyone realized what great piece work they were seeing.
I liked the Big Lebowski immediately upon seeing it in the theatre. Ditto for the Royal Tennenbaums. I also liked the Wire and Curb long before it became fashionable to do so. Usually the critics are late to the party.
Not sure the critics got to the party late Blobber, as I recall they were the ones that championed the show into it's 5th and final season. I watched it from the begining but that was because I followed the bouncy ball...Homicide: Life on the Street was a favourite of mine and the same creative forces behind that went on to do OZ, the wicked prison drama and that begat...you guessed it The Wire...

On a side note, if you want the original source of all this, pick up David Simon's book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide:_ ... ng_Streets

Great read...which reminds me...time to start that thread... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I liked the Big Lebowski immediately upon seeing it in the theatre. Ditto for the Royal Tennenbaums. I also liked the Wire and Curb long before it became fashionable to do so. Usually the critics are late to the party.
LOVED The Royal Tenenbaums. I'll add another one that the critics hated, Death to Smoochie...Seriously one of my favorite Robin Williams dark comedies...
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Benjo wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: I liked the Big Lebowski immediately upon seeing it in the theatre. Ditto for the Royal Tennenbaums. I also liked the Wire and Curb long before it became fashionable to do so. Usually the critics are late to the party.
LOVED The Royal Tenenbaums. I'll add another one that the critics hated, Death to Smoochie...Seriously one of my favorite Robin Williams dark comedies...
Did Lebowski night last week. Out on Blu Ray...we drank some White Russians... I apparently don't have the tolerance anymore like I used to..since all I drink these days is wine.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:For a show with only 2 episodes left Entourage is sure going out with a fucking whimper. Just pathetic this season.
I wonder if the movie is already in production...
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

I've been out of town too much this summer, but it's allowed me to rifle through some shows.

I'm up to date with Dexter, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy and Weeds.

Been following Entourage since it started, and I'm with Blobby, what a shit-show its become.

Another good show is Eastbound and Down..Danny McBride is the man.

The half-hour comedies I mentioned are fun to watch, but I was really impressed with Dexter, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy and Game of Thrones.

Breaking Bad is a fantastic show, Walt's character progression is as good an acting job as you'll see on TV, just outstanding. I like Dexter for similar reasons, but I really enjoy the story lines and the progressive character introspection.

SOA may not be the best show overall, but it keeps me glued with all the twists and cliffhangers.

Me thinks the best is yet to come with Game of Thrones, but the final few episodes were outstanding.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Coco,

I'm only up to season 5 of Weeds. I actutally felt it was going downhill once she got involved with the Mexican Prez. Haven't seen 6 and have managed to see a couple episodes this season.

What are your thoughts? Should I bother?
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

BladesofSteel wrote: What are your thoughts? Should I bother?
I agree the show isn't as good as it was the first few seasons and Season 6 is a bit iffy, but it still has some good moments and if you can spare the time to catch 30 minute episodes here and there it's worth catching because season 7 has been pretty solid so far. 7 starts off a bit slow but it gets much better.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Am I the only person on this board that watches It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?