TV Shows: What are you watching?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: TV Shows: What are you watching?

Post by Cornuck »

I caught the first episode of Silicon Valley and enjoyed it. Having worked for a software company so inept that they had to buy another company to get working product, there was a lot I could relate to.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Cornuck wrote:I caught the first episode of Silicon Valley and enjoyed it. Having worked for a software company so inept that they had to buy another company to get working product, there was a lot I could relate to.
You worked for Microsoft when they produced MS DOS? :look:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

BurningBeard wrote:
Cornuck wrote:I caught the first episode of Silicon Valley and enjoyed it. Having worked for a software company so inept that they had to buy another company to get working product, there was a lot I could relate to.
Dos > Windows 8
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
Dos > Windows 8
True. I can't go to 8.1 because some of the software I use is not compatible. Either are the ADB drivers for screwing around with my phone.

I still create file names within DOS accepted characters and use _ instead of spaces.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Have you watched Halt and Catch Fire Cornstar? Great developer drama. Assholes, Egos & deadlines galore! :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
Dos > Windows 8
True. I can't go to 8.1 because some of the software I use is not compatible. Either are the ADB drivers for screwing around with my phone.

I still create file names within DOS accepted characters and use _ instead of spaces.
Fack me, I have to use a Windows 8 phone for work :|

Building a kickass HTPC/PC Master Race Gaming machine though right now. I'd post the specs but I don't want your guys DOSks to shrink :devil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

:thumbs: The Barbie Horror Picture Show.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Dumb question but I just noticed the Crackle app on my tv . Kids must have added it . Some decent shows and movies on it . Is is free programming ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Yeah Crackle is free. No idea how they make that business model work, but they have Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, so whatevs.

Started watching Marco Pollo on Netflix the other night. Pretty interesting so far, but I can see it getting old fast.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reason asked was I was at a buddy's place the other night and I would have sworn there were prices on the programming per show or per movie . He had an apple console hooked up and was surfing around pretty quickly so perhaps it was a different app. Maybe Vevo or something. I will say that a smart tv is the way to go. A lot more convenient than a hdmi cable into the tv.

Just finished season 5 of Justified . Watching House of Lies which is hilarious . Sons is finally over . The last season was a death march really . Went a year too long . Horrible season finale for Homeland .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Reason asked was I was at a buddy's place the other night and I would have sworn there were prices on the programming per show or per movie . He had an apple console hooked up and was surfing around pretty quickly so perhaps it was a different app. Maybe Vevo or something. I will say that a smart tv is the way to go. A lot more convenient than a hdmi cable into the tv.
Crackle is totally free. There are some commercials though. I think it's backed or owned by Sony Entertainment.

Smart TVs are sweet.

I'm in the process of optimizing my home theatre PC. Bought myself a cheapo Dell for $350 on a boxing day sale that has all the stats I need for this applicaiton. Figured it was cheaper than upgrading my 55" LED TV to a smart TV (bought it a couple years back before smart TVs were so common) and I'd get a whole bunch more functionality. I just transferred over a hundred gigs of music (mostly flac files) last night. The PC is now multitasking as an audio library and player, a smart TV interface, a cd player, a dvd player, a blu ray player and a regular old PC. It's all hard wired in with an ethernet connection so it's super fast.

Windows 8 totally blows for actually getting stuff done, but it's pretty good for this application actually. The app interfaces are good.

One of my next steps is to convince the wife that we can finally ditch cable TV.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

What service would you use to watch sports?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Yeah, that's still the biggest roadblock.

I believe you can purchase NHL Center Ice just through the old interwebz, but I believe DirectTV still has their greasy palms controlling NHL Sunday Ticket. I think you still need to be a cable subscriber in Canada and in the USA you need to have DirectTV.

We should at least be able to go down to the cheapest TV package at this point with all the TV and movies we have access through now through Netflix and other providers.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Thats the only thing keeping me tied to fucking cable TV.
I will take great enjoyment the day i quit giving Shaw my money