Response to Clam (re: People/Cultures)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Response to Clam (re: People/Cultures)

Post by Joe Rockhead »

I grew up in Sunshine Hills and went to Seaquam Cornuck. My wife grew up on 114 right across from Annieville Elementary.
Now we live right by Kennedy Heights. You'd be sad to see parts of N.D now. It is a shadow of its former self although stillmuch better than Newton were we started our family and lived for twelveyears. Why is it going down hill? Drugs and drug addicts plain and simple. This is why I hate them! They take so much and give nothing but misery in return.I'm not talking about pot. I don't use it and don't like it around me but really don't find it to causes too much trouble other than undeniably being a gateway drug to the ones that do.

Clam the difference between not being accepting of homosexualls and their lifestyle and hating Africans is fairlly obvious to me. Africans don't don't make a concious choice to be Africans. While some homosexualls are undoutablly born with agenetic abnormality the majority are doing the same thing hard core alchoholics, drug addicts and people that cut themselves are doing. Its self loathing just played out a different way.
Don Cherry for P.M.
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

Clam its going to take a bit of time for me to get that and put it all in here but I will start tommorow. If you want a good read try getting your hands on The War Against The Family by William Gardiner. He spells every thing out way more eloquently than a hack like myself ever could and backs it up with published studies.
Don Cherry for P.M.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

A few thoughts:

Immigration
- Although I consider myself a Canadian, by citizenship and in my heart, neither my mom, my dad and myself were born in Canada. In fact, my sisters are first generation Canadians. I firmly believe as many do, that the Canadian government should be far more concerned about what goes on in their backyard in regards to the welfare of their own citizens. Too many times, I find the government and society cater to 'special interest' groups more than the mass majority of their citizens fear of 'offending' anyone. I believe that Canadian citizens come first and the welfare of our fellow Canadians are far more important than keep those 'special interest' groups happy.

Joe Rockhead, like Clam, I too would like to see the stats about your signature. That's an awfully high number of immigrants allowed in the country with a life threatening disease. I'm not cool with that, if that is true.

Diversity Clam is correct going from city to city let along province to province, there is diversity and different outlooks. I noticed this as a child moving from SW part of Vancouver (Langara-Marpole) to Panorama Ridge out in Surrey. Very different outlooks and being a visible minority, it wasn't an easy adjustment. I went from a very multi-cultural neighbourhood to very white upper middle class neighbourhood in the Ridge. Let's just say, progress was rapid the minute we moved into the neighbourhood...lol. Generalizing Canadians is much too broad when you have a hard time generalizing those within the same region of a province.

Homosexuality
I know quite a few people who hate 'queers'. I never really understood the hate for them. I don't know if I ever will. Most of the homosexuals I know are in good standing with society and from what I have known, contribute to it more than detract. As Clam was saying, Africa has a crisis AIDS epidemic and that is more spread through heterosexual intercourse and not that of the homosexual kind. Would it be possible to show me some proof in regards to how homosexuality is a choice? (Question for Joe Rockhead or anyone else who has some insight to that matter/statement)

An American born Canadian is who I am, but if I was ever asked to go to war for a country, it would be Canada. It's the nation that provided me with the life I have lived. It is a wonderful thing to have our opinions and be able to express them. We don't all agree, but we all have prejudices regardless of how 'liberal' we are. I know I have mine.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Just a few things I'd like to say:

1) Upon reviewing my original post, I think I was a tad harsh (although within that post, I admitted that I wasn't "right"....and my opinions were based on my own personal experiences). Having said that - perhaps my experiences with Albertans and Torontonians have been negative, due to my own pre-bias. Being a minority myself, I shouldn't be so quick to 'stereotype' others. Having said that - I really do hate most of the Albertans and Torontonians that I've met....if that makes me a bigot, then I can live with that. I'm just being honest.

2) Although I do think homosexuality is absolutely disgusting (except when it involves beautiful women), I have nothing against homosexuals. To each their own. I think eating brockley is digusting, but I also have friends/family that like brockley. I don't hold that against them. Anyway - some of my friends are gay...and I have absolutely nothing against them. I also don't understand the argument/correlation of homosexuality/AIDS. Perhaps HIV/AIDS is more prevalent amongst gays (percentage wise), but perhaps the stats are skewed? (i.e. a lot of gays are perhaps "bi", and a smaller gay population, relative to a straight population, makes the overall percentage higher?!). Aside from that, a lot of 'hetero's' also get AIDS. Unless I missed something from this thread, I don't quite understand the arguments of Joe Rockhead.

3) Although stereotypes/generalizations should be avoided in our society, here's my bottom line: I have not met ONE (even ONE) Asian (born and raised) or Australian that was in any way rude or impolite. In my opinion, that HAS to say something about the cultures of China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Australia, and New Zealand (yes...I've lumped them here with the Aussie's...apology to any New Zealanders here? :P ). Nonetheless - not even ONE person that wasn't full of class.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Since you brought up "stats" in relation to AIDS Farhan, I've found it interesting that some doctors/scientists believe there is no correleation between AIDS and HIV whatsoever. It goes against the paradigm that the medical and pharmaceutical industries want to believe so its rejected. Not that I want to open that can of worms, but I'm just saying...

Interesting that you mention "Asians." I'm certain that its just the people who I've met in my day to day travels but I have found several rude Asians and find it extremely hard to believe you have not. Perhaps I get treated differently than you because you're Indian and I'm Caucasian? I don't know. I've yet to meet a rude Filipino I must say. I'm friends w/ people who are Chinese yet the majority of rude Asians I've encountered seem to be Chinese. Now that could be the sheer numbers in Vancouver (thus higher odds of meeting a rude person) or it could be a cultural clash, I'm not sure. At the same time I don't believe Chinese are rude just because of some bad personal experiences however one could if they chose to. ;)

Now on to the Australians...its unbelievable here actually (I'm currently living in Australia btw). I've always heard Canadians are friendly but we have nothing on the Aussies. Honestly, if I run into a rude Aussie (yes they do exist) its an anomaly. I haven't done alot of globetrotting yet but from my travels in Canada, the US & Mexico...Australia has the most down to earth & nicest people I have ever come across. Its been 3 months here for me now and my opinion hasn't wavered from the first week I landed.

I'll read that book you mentiond Joe, look forward to the fruits of your research.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

If you have kids and live in Canada or the United States I stongly suggest you read that book. Once again the name is War Against The Family by William Gardiner, He also wrote The Trouble with Canada a rew years earlier, I havn't read that.

His book is a real eye opener, you think certian groups in society have your familys best interests at heart, then you get a look behind the scenes and realize they don't. Groups like Government, Teachers, Church, Radical femenists, Homosexuals, Planned Parenthood,and the Medical estabishment.

I feel a bit of shame right know, I can't find stats to back up the sig I have at the moment, I will change the sig for now but will keep looking. I got the info from a forum on White supremists.

As of right know I casn't find my copy of War against the family so some proof of my statements about homosexuals being disgusting will have to wait till I find it.
Don Cherry for P.M.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Joe Rockhead wrote:If you have kids and live in Canada or the United States I stongly suggest you read that book. Once again the name is War Against The Family by William Gardiner, He also wrote The Trouble with Canada a rew years earlier, I havn't read that.

His book is a real eye opener, you think certian groups in society have your familys best interests at heart, then you get a look behind the scenes and realize they don't. Groups like Government, Teachers, Church, Radical femenists, Homosexuals, Planned Parenthood,and the Medical estabishment.

I feel a bit of shame right know, I can't find stats to back up the sig I have at the moment, I will change the sig for now but will keep looking. I got the info from a forum on White supremists.

As of right know I casn't find my copy of War against the family so some proof of my statements about homosexuals being disgusting will have to wait till I find it.
I look forward to your research Joe, and I will check out this book. I do have a child and would like to see how the opinions and studies in this book affect my child.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Joe Rockhead wrote: I feel a bit of shame right know, I can't find stats to back up the sig I have at the moment, I will change the sig for now but will keep looking. I got the info from a forum on White supremists.
Typically internet forums run by white supremacists aren't very good sources of unbiased information and probably wouldn't constitute proof of anything. But if you draw information from one extremely biased site/book then if you want to pretend to be unbiased then draw the opinions from an equally and opposite biased site. The truth may lie somewhere in between, which will roughly amount to giving somebody directions to Vancouver as follows: "it is somewhere north of the south pole and somewhere south of the north pole".
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Statistics quoted from a White Supremacy forum? Good grief. That's probably the last place on Earth I'd expect to find anything factual.

Intolerance and hate won't get a society anywhere.