Any guitarists / musicians on here?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Any guitarists / musicians on here?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I've gone completely acoustic, sold all my electric gear, Fender strat, mesa boogie and pedals and now just have two nice acousitc guitars a Larrivee and a Gibson. My goal is to own as many high end acoustic guitars as possible and have each of them tuned to different tunings and left that way. I just need to come into some serious cash. Any of you philanthropists feeling charitable?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

Mëds wrote: Been playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp, 40-watt all tube, nice amp, but I'm seriously looking at a Vox AC30C2 here at the local store. I was getting tired of the hot-tube sound from the Fender and the lack of control in the sweep of the volume knob. Play it at 1 or almost 2 and it's got nothin, throw it above 2 and it's too hot. Always has the tube feedback buzz, and not much in the way of tonal adjustment with the 3 EQ controls. It's a great amp for lead and concert stuff, but if you play in a smaller venue where it will be mic'd.... not worth it.

I've got the same setup with an American deluxe strat though... The Ho's attenuator lets you get the cranked tone of the Hot Rod at low volume levels... but you still wouldn't have the additional features of the Vox or the extra EQ controls...
Something to think about I guess...

From the Ho's website:
Do love to crank your amp because you find that is the only way to achieve the BEST tones?
But, do you find it difficult to play at those levels because the volume is just too high?
Do you wish you could play at a lower volume WITHOUT losing the tone you get when your amp is cranked up?
Well, then you’ll love the attenuator. The Attenuator is the first born of HO’s products.

HOW it works: This is a very simple yet effective device. Just hook up your amp to the attenuator and use the volume knob on the attenuator to adjust the volume. You can crank the volume on your own amp to the desired level then use the attenuator as the volume control. You can crank your own amp volume all the way to the top and use the attenuator to bring that volume down. You will find that the tone does not change! Only the volume does.

BENEFITS: You can play at ANY volume level WITHOUT losing the tone that you want.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Let me read a post from rawbakass and lets talk. :|
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

ClamRussel wrote:
Jovorock wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Yep I'm in a band.

Crop Circle
Hey I've heard of you guys
:mex: :drink:
A little Mexican Cockfight spit in to your eye
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

I have applied many times for a Rock Star position but nobody was hiring. :(
2011..... the one that got away.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:I have applied many times for a Rock Star position but nobody was hiring. :(
Eddie Van Halen job has been taken

Eddy Punch Clock is TBA
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

I play violin... :oops:
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Narg CC
CC Rookie

Post by Narg CC »

CrzyCanuck wrote:I play violin... :oops:
Why :oops:?

Violin is outstanding!!

I put on Dvorak's New World the other night, during the lightning storm we had here in the Lower Mainland.. just brilliant. I play guitar, drums, bass, piano..none of which outstandingly, but decent enough.. and I absolutely envy anyone who plays violin. Such a beautiful instrument
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Narg CC wrote:
CrzyCanuck wrote:I play violin... :oops:
Why :oops:?

Violin is outstanding!!

I put on Dvorak's New World the other night, during the lightning storm we had here in the Lower Mainland.. just brilliant. I play guitar, drums, bass, piano..none of which outstandingly, but decent enough.. and I absolutely envy anyone who plays violin. Such a beautiful instrument
Agreed!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I was valiantly holding out.

I had said no, not at this time.

I was going to save the money!

There were a couple of bills I could have erased (instead of paying the minimum).

I swore off impulse buys.

I said I didn't need it.

I caved.

And for the record, the Vox AC30 friggen RIPS!!!!!

In hindsite being responsible is for the birds, I love this new amp. :)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Congratulations Mëds - there's nothing like some new gear. :D

I'm a casual player. Most nights I'll play my acoustic while watching TV for a couple of hours. My electric is a Hagstrom Swede - I really like it. :D I have Epiphone Valve Jr 5w tube amp, that does what I need, nothing more and a few pedals.

I doubt if I'll get anywhere with it, but it's very therapeutic.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote:Congratulations Mëds - there's nothing like some new gear. :D

I'm a casual player. Most nights I'll play my acoustic while watching TV for a couple of hours. My electric is a Hagstrom Swede - I really like it. :D I have Epiphone Valve Jr 5w tube amp, that does what I need, nothing more and a few pedals.

I doubt if I'll get anywhere with it, but it's very therapeutic.
Those low watt tube amps are great. I have a 5w Fender Champion 600 at home too. Now that was an impule buy. I had been languishing in Grande Prairie for 4 straight months during busy season (Dec-April) back in 2008/09. Got called back early from Christmas holidays thanks to some personnel issues (management was a bitch that way), so time off was limited. I'd sent my acoustic home with my fiancee because it had developed a surface crack from drying out through the winter (my poor Larivee). So now I'm playing my Tele through a Line6 Pocket POD and headphones.....I hate cords, headphones while playing guitar are such a pain in the ass unless you're recording. Anyways, I finally had enough, so I bail out of the office at around 2PM and head down to Long & McQuade to tryout some cheap solidstate practice amps. I've been there for about 45 minutes and I've narrowed it down to either a 15w Line6 Spider and a little 15w Marshall MG4, both in the range of the price I wanted.

So I'm torn, one of the guys comes over and asks if I need any more help.

I tell him what I'm looking for: Solid-state, cheap, small, just to fiddle around with and kill time.

He points to a few others that are sitting down the wall.

I then ask what that little beige/brown amp is towards the end that I haven't seen before.

He says,"That little Fender? Oh you wouldn't be interested in that."

Classic. I'm such a sucker. Now I'm interested.

Go check it out.....5w tube. Basic. No tone controls, just On/Off, high/low inputs, volume, and the signature Fender red light.

Worse? I played it.

Sold.

Shit.

Gotta tell the fiance. She'd just talked me out of an Xbox360.....

It was worth it. Bought my TS9 Tube Screamer pedal shortly after to make up for the lack of tone control and distortion. :roll:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Just bought a Digitech iPB-10.

http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/ ... pedalboard

Been playing with it for about 15 minutes. Just running it through my 5 watt Fender Champion. Thing is incredible.
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

Pretty slick Mëds,

I have been using Line 6 for years, however my PodXT Live has finally kicked it and I don't feel like trying to find another one. I have been looking at your new toy as well but I worry its not very "gig proof".

I might actually dial back to individual pedals...
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ORCA wrote:Pretty slick Mëds,

I have been using Line 6 for years, however my PodXT Live has finally kicked it and I don't feel like trying to find another one. I have been looking at your new toy as well but I worry its not very "gig proof".

I might actually dial back to individual pedals...
By "gig proof" do you mean durable and not gonna get busted?

There is that concern from many people, the iPad screen is exposed and it would suck to drop something on it. However, if you are only going to use 5 different pedal/amp combinations in a given gig, and have a halfway decent memory, then you can load up your presets, take the iPad out, and the board will still work once the presets are uploaded. The dock itself feels pretty durable. I would like to have seen a clear hard plastic cover to shield the iPad when on stage.....