NHL 08

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Postby Broda » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:44 pm

well i can't directly talk to anyone about this but i can bring it up with guys who do.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby JoeKnows » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:10 pm

For the record, I've heard nothing but good things. I might have to reach out and grab this.

Thanks for extending the invite to give you our views.
JoeKnows
MVP
MVP

Postby Kowch » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:13 am

Well, I finally got another response - basically how to return the game for a refund.

That's really not the response I was looking for - I was trying to report a bug, was told it was the first time they've heard of it and if I have my receipt, I can get my money back.

Meh.

Thanks for passing the concern along Broda - here's hoping there's more information or a fix coming :)
Kowch
CC Veteran

Postby Badfish » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:51 pm

I've got NHL '08 for the PS2, and I do like it however I'm going to assume that the PS3 edition is much better? The PS2 seems to be, just as 07 was, an update of NHL '06 with some modified controls. I'm waiting for a really good, new game engine is built. Nothing wrong with this one but it's a bit buggy and does not work well with the new rules imo. Penalties being called are often extremely frusterating because the cpu will hook and slash all the time with few calls, perhaps getting called on 1of 6 or 7 possible calls. I on the other hand get called for at least 1 of every 2 times I try to hook, which is usually a result of the frusteration of being hooked to death by the cpu.

Anyways, I still like the game and think it is better then 07, which was terrible for the PS2. PS3 I hear it was great, but the PS2 edition suffered. Some problems I've found with 08 so far:
First off, same with 07, but the font of the menus is so small it causes eye strain even on the 48" widescreen I play on. telling the difference between an OD and DD is nearly impossible. Major pet peeve.

The League Emails still have the same large gap format as they did in 07.They list 10 players in the injury update for instance, then there's about a 20 line gap, followed by the next 10 players, and so on.

In Dynasty mode, I can't call up any players from the Moose. I was pumped because I heard there was AHL, but you can't access them from your dynasty... Would be nice to be able to call up Edler and Bourdon when I get injuries.

Once again, as with 07, it seems the animations during the pre-game, between plays, after goals, penalties, etc are all the exact same animations from NHL 06. That to me just looks lazy. Exactly the same, 3 years in a row?

Hero factor I think is too strong in the last 2 min. It's often that I'll have a 2 or 3 goals scored between each team in the last 2 min when Hero really kicks it up. I know guys play big when it counts but lets not make them superhuman. Perhaps they could limit this to rivalry games and playoff games? I'm not sure.

last so far, is Trading. I would love it if the teams would let you know what they are looking for and what they want, somewhat along the lines of NBA 07's trading system, which I think is very good. The "Trading Block" is nice but could be used more effectivly. IE you can't see what position each player plays, so unless I recognize the name I have to look through the team player list anyways. Also perhaps being able to utilize the trade block by bing able to select it on it's own and browse through who is available? Again just am idea.

I don't mean to sound negative by pointing out all the flaws, it is a great game, the battling for the puck and such has really improved, as has the skating. I've just played every year of EA NHL games wince about 96, and have always wanted to abaility to give feedback, because I play the game to death. Every year, I can't help it, even when people tell me 2K sports is a better game.... EA's got me. Might have something to do with a buddy who has the EA hook up, but still.

Anyways, thanks for giving me the chance to vent some of my pet-peeves! If you want I'll post more ideas and/or problems I notice while playing if thats of any help. :mex:
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Postby Broda » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:58 pm

The thing is with Ps2 and xbox.. don't think it was made for that this year.. that they can't do much anymroe in the way of improving things.. I find it funny when people get really upset and say oh its just a roster update.. unless they change the whole game everyear.. there really isn't much they can do.
I haven't played the last two or three actually ps2 games.. last year i caved when the new game came out on 360. adn this year. well yeah you get the idea, but i wouldn't expect them to fix much in that game, i figure next year will be there last year. But anyway if you can possibly spend the money on a new system, and all you really play is nhl or sports ea games.. i would get the 360 if you play it as much as it sounds then i don't think its that much to ask. i don't know your circumstance but for me its worth alot more buying a 500 dollar system.. less now.. then saying going out 5 to 10 nights a year.. i think you definetly get your return in it.. anyways it sounds alot like your a sony fan like i am and was... but the ps3 has some issues for programing and ea's games don't work as well, alot of them play better and look better on the 360.

Its fine to vent, im very frustrated with alot of things in that game as well, but hopefully things will change and i know now for a fact after working there that there are some people that have some pull to make that game alot better. So hopefully in a few years gripes will be alot less.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Badfish » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:55 am

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off negative about the game, I do like it, it's better then last years for sure. I also don't usually mind that it's the same game with just roster updates, but 3 going on 4 years is what gets me. Why do I need 3 copies of the same game? I think we're just used to back in the day when it was easier to make games and EA would have a new NHL game every year. As for the system, a PS3 is in the works ;)

Good to hear it's on the way up, I'm hoping someone (EA or other) can use the power of the PS3 to make a truely great hockey game. Thanks for the input!
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Previous

Return to Creeper's Bar & Grill