THIS or THAT? (new thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

DavidPratt_ wrote:Kristi Gordon or Robin Stickley?

dp
That's a tough choice, but I think I'll have to go with Robin.

Robin Stickley or Tamara Taggart?
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

SRsez wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:Roy hands down.

Gretzky or Lemieux?
Now wait just a damn minute. Brodeur is everything Roy was but more & he's not a whiny snivelling me-first kind of guy. Plus, he banged his sister-in-law. :shock: Brodeur in a walk - it's not even close. Brodeur is the best to ever play, at least until Luongo can make some kind of claim.

And seriously Gretz or Mario? Gretz was given his stake in Phoenix, Mario had to take an ownership position in Pittsburgh in lieu of payment of his contract. That says all you need to know about the discrepency between the two.

Orca or Skate logo?
Sorry, I thought we were judging choices based upon skill not on the merits of their character or lack thereof. If the choice is based upon their respective play in net and not play in the bedroom then I would still have to go with Roy. While there is no denying that Brodeur is an absolutely amazing player and would be on any team, one must take into account on which team he has amassed such amazing career statistics. One must also take into account the higher scoring play that Roy had to deal with before Brodeur was even playing. Looking at their coinciding time in the league the years from 93-94 through 02-03, 6 of the 10 years Roy's save percentage was better than Brodeur's and that was playing for a team embracing a much more offensive style of game. Now I am not saying that Brodeur's success was solely due to the defensive style of the Devil's, only that he did benefit from it and Roy, who actually had similar to better sv% stats playing for a less defensive style of team would, in my books, take the cake.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Okay, let's say you're looking for a leader for your team, would you want Roy or Brodeur?

Besides, what's the most important stat of all? Winning. So Brodeur takes it, walking away.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Interesting that you think Brodeur is such a better leader than Roy as last time I checked Roy had 3 Conn Smythe's and Brodeur had 0. It would seem to me that the best leaders lead by example at those times when it is needed most (ie playoffs). So I don't think that having been given three awards recognizing such leadership is anything to sneeze at, especially given the Mr. Brodeur has not yet received one.

Corresponding to this playoff win percentages for Roy and Brodeur is 61 and 59 percent respectively. I would think that almost everyone would agree that winning is important but winning in the playoffs is more important than anything else. Roy, again, takes the cake.

Cheers

- Sun Tzu
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Getting back on track.

Ginger or Mary Ann. :roll:
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

DonCherry4PM wrote:Interesting that you think Brodeur is such a better leader than Roy as last time I checked Roy had 3 Conn Smythe's and Brodeur had 0. It would seem to me that the best leaders lead by example at those times when it is needed most (ie playoffs). So I don't think that having been given three awards recognizing such leadership is anything to sneeze at, especially given the Mr. Brodeur has not yet received one.

Corresponding to this playoff win percentages for Roy and Brodeur is 61 and 59 percent respectively. I would think that almost everyone would agree that winning is important but winning in the playoffs is more important than anything else. Roy, again, takes the cake.

Cheers
Firstly, the Conn Smythe Trophy is awarded to the MVP, not "the best leader".

Secondly, Rob is right.

Mary Ann.

Jessica Simpson or Britney Spears?
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Easy choice Simpson. As long as she doesn't talk.

Don Taylor or Rick Ball? (as radio personalities. keep your mind out of the gutter)
R.I.P. Luc.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Bartman wrote:Easy choice Simpson. As long as she doesn't talk.

Don Taylor or Rick Ball? (as radio personalities. keep your mind out of the gutter)
Taylor, I turn off the radio any time I hear Ball on.

First Day of Free Agency or the Draft?
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

SRsez wrote: Firstly, the Conn Smythe Trophy is awarded to the MVP, not "the best leader".
As I stated in my previous points, leadership is by example. I would say that being the most valuable player in the playoffs is setting a pretty good example and thus evidencing leadership. Thus while the Conn Smythe is not an award for "the best leader" it would seem to evidence that the player receiving it is at the very least a good leader on the ice.

In regards to first day free agency or draft, I would have to go with draft (at least on a good year).

Skill level of NFL or rules of CFL?

- Sun Tzu
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I don't think it's very easy to compare Brodeur and Roy as goaltenders. They've both won multiple Stanley Cups and they've both been awarded various trophies numerous times. Furthermore, they've both benefited from playing on extremely good teams for large parts of their careers. However, they play completely separate styles. Roy is a much more regimented butterfly goaltender, whereas Brodeur never seems to do the same thing twice.

I don't think they're interchangeable. Roy needed the fast attacking style to keep him focused as (from my observation), he seemed to drift off in the slower more structured games. Brodeur on the other hand is always ready to make the save, but because of his unorthodox style he ended up in the wrong place more often than not, and relied heavily on his defencemen to bail him out. Primarily, Neidermayer, Stevens and Danyenko. If the Devils ever abandontheir all out attacking style (albeit a rare occurence) he looks merely average.

But really, arguing over who is better between Roy and Brodeur is fairly pointless. They're both A list hall of famers with long, storied careers and as a result I'm sure this argument will never die, but in the end it doesn't matter. You really can't go wrong with either of them.

To not contribute TOTALLY to the derailment of this thread I say the Rules of the CFL, although it's a toss up.

Basketball or Baseball?
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

My last word on the subject: anyone thinking Roy was a leader is on crack. Leaders aren't whiny, me-first pieces of shit. Roy definitely is the latter, as he displayed numerous times throughout his career.

Brodeur will be the shootout king by the end of this season. He already has the most playoff shutouts. He will probably have the wins by the time he retires. He also has World Cup & Olympic Championships that Roy never got. Plus he's got what is it? - 3 or 4 more goals.

So, on a similar tangent: Lindros or Brind'amour?
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Rod the Bod by a country mile.

Waikiki (Honolulu) or Puerto Vallarta?
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

SRsez wrote: anyone thinking Roy was a leader is on crack.
Nothing like a bit of argumentum ad hominem to brighten my day. But as this seems to be devolving into a proverbial case of mudslinging instead of fact-based discussion it is probably most efficacious to curtail it.
levelheaded wrote: But really, arguing over who is better between Roy and Brodeur is fairly pointless. They're both A list hall of famers with long, storied careers and as a result I'm sure this argument will never die, but in the end it doesn't matter. You really can't go wrong with either of them.
Now that is some A-list diplomacy. Do you, by chance, have a job as a negotiator?

Honolulu - no better time to take advantage of the thumping the American dollar is taking

PC or Mac?

- Sun Tzu
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
SRsez wrote: anyone thinking Roy was a leader is on crack.
Nothing like a bit of argumentum ad hominem to brighten my day. But as this seems to be devolving into a proverbial case of mudslinging instead of fact-based discussion it is probably most efficacious to curtail it.
levelheaded wrote: But really, arguing over who is better between Roy and Brodeur is fairly pointless. They're both A list hall of famers with long, storied careers and as a result I'm sure this argument will never die, but in the end it doesn't matter. You really can't go wrong with either of them.
Now that is some A-list diplomacy. Do you, by chance, have a job as a negotiator?

Honolulu - no better time to take advantage of the thumping the American dollar is taking

PC or Mac?
History major actually, but I'll take it as a compliment I guess...

PC or Mac? I'd say Mac if there were more of them around, so PC it is .

Xbox or Playstation? (I'm reaching here)
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

DC4PM wrote: Now that is some A-list diplomacy. Do you, by chance, have a job as a negotiator?
levelheaded wrote:History major actually, but I'll take it as a compliment I guess...

Xbox or Playstation? (I'm reaching here)
I personally wouldn't take it as a compliment.

For the record, I negotiate deals every day, and I never let bullshit enter into them - ever. That's the difference between negotiation & diplomacy. You want to negotiate bullshit & I walk.

Patty Roy was and continues to be walking bullshit. There are ignorant EBL's & then there are that more virulent strain, Quebecers, that Roy epitomizes so well. At least Marty knows when to shut the hell up.

And not being a gamer, I'd say neither, but Wii is pretty cool.

Scotch or Rye? (for me there's only one choice)