Do you think these playoff records will ever be broken?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Do you think these playoff records will ever be broken?

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Most overtime goals- Joe Sakic- 7.

Most shorthanded goals- Mark "The Messiah" Messier- 14.

Most carrer points- 382- Wayne Gretzky ( Second is Messier with 295)
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Yeah Yeah Yeah, we get it JoS, you like trolling and getting a reaction out of people. It's losing its charm, seriously. You sometimes have some pretty good points, but you ruin that by deliberately annoying everyone on the site.

You've had your fun, maybe it's time to move on...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Nobody will beat Gretzky's point total, Messier is a full 87 points back, and you know what...I bet a current number 87 will beat that Mark of stained underwear.

Messiers shorties came in an age where goals came aplenty, so I think his record is safe for now. Don't think he deserves it, I hope somebody beats it, but I can't see it happening. Dosn't change the fact that he's a bag of smashed assholes.

OT goals...hard to say. 7 is a lot, but it could happen. I would rather have Sakics record stand over MESSier's, only for the fact that he is a better leader and more respected player.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

Sooner or later, we're gonna figure out that the most effective way to stem the Messier LoveFest is just to stop posting replies. As in, nothing. No comments, no response. Silent treatment. 0 replies. Then, if he wants, he can keep the thread alive on his own, but at least we all know we aren't missing anything.

I'm starting to get tired of many decent threads disintegrating into Messier wars, and we're all to blame for it too (although I think in a roundabout way, we've figured out which former player pisses us off the most... think this is how Oiler fans feel when the resident Pronger-lover keeps posting updates on Chris' sainthood status?)

As for this thread in particular, here's the thing with those records--all three of those guys had incredible luck in their careers in getting to the postseason in almost every season they played. Gretzky saw playoff time in 16 of his 21 seasons, MessFace went 19 out of 25 (and guess where 3 of those 7 misses came, oh mighty leader of leaders?) and Burnaby Joe 12 out of 17. Those are pretty good numbers, and that makes those records that much more difficult to beat. It takes a talented player many attempts at the playoffs to come even close to those numbers. It's not like the regular season, where everyone is guaranteed the same number of games per season (barring injury).

That being said, I smiled to myself when I saw that Messier had 3 more cracks at it then Gretzky, and still could barely come within 100pts of him. Is it still called second when you're that far behind?
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Nobody will beat Gretzky's point total, Messier is a full 87 points back, and you know what...I bet a current number 87 will beat that Mark of stained underwear.

Messiers shorties came in an age where goals came aplenty, so I think his record is safe for now. Don't think he deserves it, I hope somebody beats it, but I can't see it happening. Dosn't change the fact that he's a bag of smashed assholes.

OT goals...hard to say. 7 is a lot, but it could happen. I would rather have Sakics record stand over MESSier's, only for the fact that he is a better leader and more respected player.
I don't know Brashear is getting old.. and I don't see the Caps making the playoffs anytime soon.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

YAWN..........................
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Well we all know what kind of leader Brashear is...forget Crosby.

Hey Brian, can we ban this idiot yet?
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Jordan Staal is probably the guy to break the SHG record.

he's 18 and he has 5 in regular season, and more games to be played.

if the Pens keeps the core together, who knows?

oh and OTG, if Gelinas was traded to Canucks this year, he would add about... 16 more!
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
OCWilson
CC Rookie

Post by OCWilson »

Hey guys. Thought I would add my opinion on this James person and his obsession with Messier. First off, I enjoy this board for being a Canucks board, not for someone obsessing over any one Canucks player, let alone an ex Canuck that most would agree was not good for the Canucks team.

I also enjoy a question like James put forth for this thread, but there are plenty of similar questions that do not have to include Mess. I don't think the answer is to just not answer his posts, he can be quite provocative and it sometimes is just too hard to resist. I suggest the admistrators either limit his Mess comments or give him the boot. Oh yeh, I am afraid I have to admit mess was one of my favorite players, just not as a Canuck. He was good for the game.

I have been reading this board for a few years now and I can tell you that I read it now in spite of James. Certainly not because of him.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Sooner or later, we're gonna figure out that the most effective way to stem the Messier LoveFest is just to stop posting replies. As in, nothing. No comments, no response. Silent treatment. 0 replies. Then, if he wants, he can keep the thread alive on his own, but at least we all know we aren't missing anything.
Bingo...

Look, I am in a tight spot here folks. I ban James and I get the reputation of running a censored board. I don't ban him, I risk losing regular contributors to the board. In this case the fact of the matter is, he's not breaking any rules of the site. In fact by calling him and idiot, some of you are. I am not taking anyone's side here. Just giving my point of view.

stevethiessen has it right, don;t like him, ignore him. Think his posts are trying to bait you, don't reply.

Lastly, need I remind all involved of rule number one of this site:

1. Please respect other posters. This forum is intended as a place to build friendships, Personal attacks will not be tolerated. This site is a hobby and people who make it a pain in the butt to run or any users who continually start squabbles and garner complaints will be punted from the forum.

As for you James, maybe it's time to move on, either discuss Canucks hockey or don't. But as you can see your obsession with trying to get a rise out of people with your Messier love fest is getting tiresome.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

even though as one of your major bashers,

if you got some interesting stuff to show us, sure, and if it involves Messier, great for you, but it does not have to be, say, in EVERY single one of your posts.

like this post here, if any other one of us posted, it would generate an intereting debate about it, as 14 SHG is pretty damn amazing, but since it was you, ...you see where this is going?

Yes Messier was pretty damn amazing on paper.

But let's try not to bring him into conversations unless, say, he really deserves it.

oh and Brian, i'm pretty sure that he'd get banned with in seconds on most of the other hockey boards.. especially, say.. the official one?
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

It's not just the Messier stuff, the guy posts like 2-3 new threads every day. I know I don't post very much, but I read the boards on a regular basis...and I'm kinda tired of it too...just my two cents...it's not that it gets a rise out of me, it's just a pain to have to sort through all of his stuff to get to the good stuff...

Oh well...
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

....*Officially no longer replying or speaking directly to JOS11*....

Brian is right guys... he technically hasnt done anything wrong (althought his messier obsession is wrong on many levels 8-) ).... so lets all be adults here and avoid anyone cool getting kicked off of here by saying rude/ disrespectful things to him and just ignore the guy!
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
gordorama
MVP
MVP

Post by gordorama »

Yawn undeed.

We all seem to be paying WAAAY too much attention to someone who hasn't played in years for ANY team regardless of his accomplishments. Love him or hate him, he's not helping or hindering any team this season. Frankly, I'm more interested in the team we have on the ice tonight.

"What if's" and "wasn't he great" bares little relevance to what's really happening on the ice.

Save the other crap for fantasy leagues.

No need to ban anyone, just don't encourage such behaviour.

....*Officially no longer replying or speaking directly to JOS11*.... - Ditto for me.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

tuzzi44 wrote:....*Officially no longer replying or speaking directly to JOS11*....
that will be my mantra as well!! 8-)