Ovechkin!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Badfish
MVP
MVP

Ovechkin!

Post by Badfish »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A8guZqRciA

Saw this during last night's game, made me laugh quite a bit. my favorite parts are the game of mini-stick hockey in the hallway, and Crosby's "Ovechkin!" at the end. They cut off the end of the money shot on this clip but it's all I could find. Enjoy!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

These commercials are SO much better than the crap they had last year after the lockout. It's about time the NHL did something right.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

That's a hoot!

I agree that this year's commercials are light years ahead of the bizarre "babe in the locker room quoting Sun Tzu" crap they had going last season. You couldn't dream up a worse or more pompous piece of crap.

Instead, these new ads wisely sell the Game's personalities as likeable, fun-loving, yet surprisingly self-deprecating guys. Not a bad advertisement strategy.

I still prefer the recent "Swedish Twins" set-up though. "Honey, what is Peter Forsberg doing in our bed?" also cracked me up.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Yea I'm a big fan of all the new ads, I agree, leaps and bounds ahead of last season's. Overall I like the Sedin commercial better, but that last shot of Crosby always gets me :) "Ovechkin!" with the clenched fist shake. Thats gold!

The Forsberg one was the first one that got to me, as well though! Great deadpan by Fozzy.
Farhan Lalji

Re: Ovechkin!

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Badfish wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A8guZqRciA

Saw this during last night's game, made me laugh quite a bit. my favorite parts are the game of mini-stick hockey in the hallway, and Crosby's "Ovechkin!" at the end. They cut off the end of the money shot on this clip but it's all I could find. Enjoy!
LOL. Yeah that commercial was awesome. Good stuff. :lol:

Rey Ferrero mentioned this a few years ago, but I think the NHL really needs to do a better job of marketing individual PLAYERS (as they seem to be doing now finally). The NBA, MLB, and NFL have all been excellent at doing this. Heck - even golf and tennis were pretty good.

With guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc., all on the rise, this is a great time to start marketing individuals. In a few years time if someone like Eric Johnson becomes a star (American born player?), then he should be heavily marketed in the States as well.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

On a semi-related note, those Nike commercials with Mats Sundin a few years ago were hilarious as well. :lol: (the ones where ex-goalies were working as janitors, etc....all bitter ).
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

I agree the commercials last year were a huge joke. I don't know about the NHL's failure to market individuals in the past though. I seem to remember a lot of ads featuring invidual players. There were the Iginla/Nazzy Nike adds from a couple years ago where Naslund's shooting pucks at him while he runs. Then there was the Bertuzzi Gatorade adds (until the whole Moore incident). Finally I remember a great quite a few years ago featuring Federov stickhandle through an entire team and goalie only to get crushed by the zamboni at the end. I thought it was a great add. Anyone remember that one? I was a kid, so I don't remember it all that well but I think it went down something like that.

Anyway, the latest adds are pretty solid. That Crosby "Ovechkin" line is classic. One thing's for sure, the kid's a much better actor than the Twins.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

rockalt wrote:Anyone remember that one? I was a kid, so I don't remember it all that well but I think it went down something like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z10ZFSQ6Q-g

This the one?
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

LOL. However, the twins are MUCH better actors than Markus Naslund. :lol:

There's this one commercial with Naslund (Canuck related....not NHL related) where Naslund is advertising player cards or something (I can't remember).

Anyway, Naslund is super corny. He shows a picture of himself and he's like, "My wife thinks this guy is the best!" The commercial always airs on sportsnet / PPV when the Canucks play. I think most of you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway - that commercial is soooo corny, that's it's actually pretty funny.
It's actually the Cell Mobility commercial (the one with Naslund). So corny, but inadvertently funny. :lol:
Last edited by Farhan Lalji on Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

levelheaded wrote:
rockalt wrote:Anyone remember that one? I was a kid, so I don't remember it all that well but I think it went down something like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z10ZFSQ6Q-g

This the one?
Yep. Classic! I love that commercial.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Badfish wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A8guZqRciA

LOL. Yeah, the commercials this year were great.

I even like the current one that they have (the one with Martin Brodeur and Luc Robataille).

The Sedin commercial is one of the funniest commercials of all time!

Back in the late 90's, I also loved the Nike ads where the goalie would become janitors and what not (i.e. emotionally scarred from Mats Sundin and Sergei Fedorov).
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Back in the late 90's, I also loved the Nike ads where the goalie would become janitors and what not (i.e. emotionally scarred from Mats Sundin and Sergei Fedorov).
Yea I liked those ones too, very funny ads :)

I also liked the one with Naslund and...? can't remember who, running through the city chasing a puck, sorta reminded me of the old Bird vs. Jordan commercials, "Ok, off the backboard, through the rafters, off seat 109, out the back door...."
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Badfish wrote:I also liked the one with Naslund and...? can't remember who, running through the city chasing a puck, sorta reminded me of the old Bird vs. Jordan commercials, "Ok, off the backboard, through the rafters, off seat 109, out the back door...."
Ilya Kovalchuk... ;) Also a nice song in this clip.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Badfish wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:
old Bird vs. Jordan commercials, "Ok, off the backboard, through the rafters, off seat 109, out the back door...."
LOL. Yeah those Bird/Jordan commericals were awesome. I loved it whenever they'd throw Barkley in there and he'd ask, "Can I play?" Jordan and Bird would then say "no" simultaneously. Great stuff. :lol:
juhuu
AHL Prospect

Post by juhuu »

i can´t look at it.... :(