I like Dave Keon

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Soapy
MVP
MVP

I like Dave Keon

Post by Soapy »

Welcome back Keon

One of the greatest Maple leaves ever will finally be returning to the roost when Toronto honours its 1967 Stanley Cup champion team.
Dave Keon will be lifting his 31-year, self imposed exile and return with the rest of his team to the Air Canada Centre Feb. 17.
"It's been 40 years, and the leaves are going to pay tribute to the team," Keon told the National Post. "And the last time I looked at the team picture, I was part of that team."
Keon has had a long standing feud with the Maple leaves organization over its refusal to retire jersey numbers.
"One of the things that gets us old-timers a little concerned is when you see a sweater, like Frank Mahovlich's [No. 27 ]," says Ron Ellis, a member of the 1967 team and current director of the Hockey Hall of Fame's public affairs. "And then another player [John Kordic, Dave Semenko and Bryan Marchment] who certainly deserves to be in the NHL, but doesn't have the same credentials as Frank Mahovlich, is wearing it.

"I think that takes something away from the number."

I never fully understood why Keon hated the leaves organization. The leaves totally disrespect the history of the team by not retiring jersey's...I didn't know that !! I guess I wasn't paying attention...but come on KORDIC & MARCHMENT wearing Mahovlich's #27...what a slap in the face!! I like Keon & Ellis point of view on this...I wish there were more interviews with these characters
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

He has a great point. I guess the leaves have so many 'people who dream of playing for them' that they need all the numbers they can get.

I wish more guys from that era had a say in today's game.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Well I guess it isn't even about the players in TO ... only about the leaves as an organization and the centre of the universe ... ra ra ra !!

As far as I am concerned Keon is/was a class act .... I remember watching him play on HNIC when I was really young ... always liked him.

Grizz
Mozy

Post by Mozy »

who cares about TO...they're never going to win the cup. :P
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Mozy wrote:who cares about TO...they're never going to win the cup. :P
But they effect my life every Saturday night....at least respect your past....can you see some Goon playing for the Canucks in 5 years wearing #16...& the fans not going crazy....
-- Winston Churchill
Mozy

Post by Mozy »

i retract my statement. you raise a good point. but i have a feelign number 16 will be retired so we wont have to worry about that. nonetheless.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

I totally agree....there is a difference the Canucks have more class than the leaves...we will retire # 16....& I hate the leaves more than you.... :) :)
-- Winston Churchill