Get ready for Moosapalooza!!!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Get ready for Moosapalooza!!!

Postby JamesOwnzSam11 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:35 pm

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=192593&hubname=

EDMONTON (CP) - The Edmonton Oilers plan to do more next month than just raise Mark Messier's No. 11 to the rafters of Rexall Place.

The NHL team and the city are planning two days of festivities to honour their favourite son.

Get ready for Moosapalooza.

"The (pre-game) ceremonies can get long and arduous as they were with Stevie Y (Steve Yzerman)" Oiler president Patrick LaForge told reporters Wednesday. Yzerman's No. 19 jersey was retired Jan. 2 in a 90-minute ceremony prior to the Detroit Red Wings' game against the Anaheim Ducks.

"There was no opportunity for fans there to reach out to Stevie, and we want to do that here and we want to do it with Mark.

"He's a native son and an Edmonton boy and he wants this."

The man known affectionately as Moose will have his number retired in a ceremony prior to the Oilers' game against the Phoenix Coyotes on Feb. 27.

The day before, thousands of fans are expected to jam the city's downtown Churchill Square to pay tribute to him.

That night, Messier and others including ex-Oilers Kevin Lowe, Glenn Anderson and Paul Coffey will swap stories on stage at the city's Winspear Centre concert hall in a $350-a-ticket charity fundraiser.

LaForge said Oiler great Wayne Gretzky, the Coyotes coach, can't attend the fundraiser but will have a role in the jersey retirement at the game.

He noted that Feb. 26 is a busy time as it's NHL trade deadline day.

"(Ex-Oiler GM) Glen Sather was considering moving his (New York Rangers) scouting staff out here so he can be a part of it," said LaForge.

Messier's number will join the sweaters of Gretzky, Coffey, Grant Fuhr, Jari Kurri and Al Hamilton. The Oilers will wear vintage blue jerseys from the Messier-Gretzky heyday of the 1980s.

Messier was not at the announcement but said in a news release, "I was born and raised in Edmonton and spent the first twelve years of my NHL career playing for the Oilers. Having my number raised to the rafters of Rexall Place, where we accomplished so much as a team and I made so many lifelong friends, is truly an honour."

The game is sold out but will be televised on TSN. The Oilers community foundation has offered to buy back tickets from fans, but so far have only collected 10.

"We've found places for all the Messier clan," said LaForge.

He said he doesn't feel the $350 fundraiser ticket (two-thirds of which is tax-deductible) puts the celebration out of the range of Oiler fans who don't have deep pockets.

"It is higher priced, but it's a donation idea and there will be a public event at Churchill Square." When Gretzky's jersey was retired, the city re-named the expressway that runs past Rexall Place Wayne Gretzky Drive. There is also a statue of him outside the building hoisting the Stanley Cup.

LaForge said some kind of lasting tribute is in the works for Messier, but wouldn't be more specific.

Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel, with LaForge for the announcement, also wouldn't comment.

"We'll see," he said.

After being drafted by the Oilers in 1979, Messier played in the NHL for a quarter-century and became the ultimate power forward - a hard-skating goal scorer with muscle.

He won six Stanley Cups - five with Edmonton and one with the New York Rangers.

As soaring salaries hammered small-market teams in the 1990s, Messier was traded from Edmonton to the Rangers in 1991, where he was lionized as Mark Messiah and led the Blueshirts to the championship in 1994.

The Rangers retired his jersey just over a year ago on January 12 in a ceremony that included members of the '94 team.

He retired in September 2005 as the second-leading scorer in league history - behind only Gretzky - with 1,887 points (694 goals and 1,193 assists).
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby JamesOwnzSam11 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:13 am

getting closer now
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Jelly » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:11 am

I don't care if I'll get banned for this.

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH CANUCKS HOCKEY?

Take your Messier worshipping to the Rangers forum, I'm sure they'll love it.

The population of the world of Canucks fans probabyl consists TWO Messier fans, YOU, and the idiot who wore a Messier Canucks Jersey to a Canucks - Oilers game in Edmonton this year. Wait, is that you?

I'm tired, I wish Brian had booted your ass outta here a long time ago.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby JamesOwnzSam11 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:59 am

What about the guy who wore the Messier jersey to the Flames game on Rememberence day?
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Larry Goodenough » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:06 pm

James - again....

Your response to looking like a fool after I gave you your link outlining the Canucks-Rangers game 7 was the highest rated HNIC game ever? I believe you stated it "never" happened and demanded a link. I gave you the link on Dec 21st and you've been on the run ever since.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby JamesOwnzSam11 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:39 pm

Where's the link? I saw no link...
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Brian CC » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:03 pm

Jelly wrote:I don't care if I'll get banned for this.

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH CANUCKS HOCKEY?

Take your Messier worshipping to the Rangers forum, I'm sure they'll love it.

The population of the world of Canucks fans probabyl consists TWO Messier fans, YOU, and the idiot who wore a Messier Canucks Jersey to a Canucks - Oilers game in Edmonton this year. Wait, is that you?

I'm tired, I wish Brian had booted your ass outta here a long time ago.

Why do people get so upset talking about Messier? Who cares? Everyone take a deep breath. If you don't want to read about click the next topic and move on.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Postby JamesOwnzSam11 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:45 pm

Messier is a former Canuck, a former captain no less, I don't see why it can't be in the Canucks/Hockey section.
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby DavidPratt_ » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Brian CC wrote:Why do people get so upset talking about Messier? Who cares? Everyone take a deep breath. If you don't want to read about click the next topic and move on.

I've never been a big fan of Mark Messier. Outside of being annoyed when some people on here accused me of also being JamesOwnzSam, I don't get why people are cursing and going nuts over JamesownsSam's Messier worshipping. I'd rather read what James has to say than SRsez any day of the week :roll: '

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Postby Soapy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:30 am

DavidPratt_ wrote:
Brian CC wrote:Why do people get so upset talking about Messier? Who cares? Everyone take a deep breath. If you don't want to read about click the next topic and move on.

I've never been a big fan of Mark Messier. Outside of being annoyed when some people on here accused me of also being JamesOwnzSam, I don't get why people are cursing and going nuts over JamesownsSam's Messier worshipping. I'd rather read what James has to say than SRsez any day of the week :roll: '

dp

I will wear the 'annoyed' comment like a badge of honour !
I am not a big Messier fan because he is and always will be the ENEMY.
He never will be a CANUCK. He wore the jersey & got paid to work here.
Some players that come from other ENEMY teams that your team signs... you can handle...some you can't...POTVIN sticks out as well....the hate never leaves unless they do something for the hometown crowd to change things
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Postby Soapy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:37 am

I'm happy this was moved to the CC BAR & GRILL though...& I will watch the ceremony from start to finish....& with class he will mention his time with the Canucks.....not F*%^%#@ likley !!!..friggin Canucks picked Ken Ellacott one pick before Messier.....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Postby JamesOwnzSam11 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:44 am

Messier has gone on the record to say his favorite year playing ( though I'm sure the six cup runs come before it ) was his final year in Vancouver and he did say he wanted to keep playing here.
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby DavidPratt_ » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:13 pm

Soapy wrote:I will wear the 'annoyed' comment like a badge of honour !
I am not a big Messier fan because he is and always will be the ENEMY.
He never will be a CANUCK. He wore the jersey & got paid to work here.
Some players that come from other ENEMY teams that your team signs... you can handle...some you can't...POTVIN sticks out as well....the hate never leaves unless they do something for the hometown crowd to change things

Haha....so Soapy, tell us how you REALLY feel about Mark Messier.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Postby Mozy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:10 pm

messiers a waste of time...why are we still talking about him
Mozy

Postby Cornuck » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:53 pm

Soapy wrote:I am not a big Messier fan because he is and always will be the ENEMY.

That sums up how I feel, and probably how a lot of other Canuck fans feel.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Next

Return to Creeper's Bar & Grill