I have never read a worst "Top X number rock songs"

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

I have never read a worst "Top X number rock songs"

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Rolling Stones top 500.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/500songs

What the hell is that steaming pile of crap?

I mean...good god
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Whoa lotta crap in there. I wanna hold your hand is like backstreet boys but in the 60's. Pure shit. Whoever did that list was doing to much acid in the 60's.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Rolling Stone has lost all relevance these days. It's obvious that they have no regard for newer music, and are stuck in the 60's. They should just roll over and die.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

for sure roll over and die. :mrgreen: follow me to the NMN thread. :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Yeah that list belongs with the Messier pictures.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Mike Ness- Cheating at solitaire.... :baaa:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

It still bugs me.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I read it and can't see too much wrong with it. Todays music holds no relevance as it is a talentless cacophony of noise that says absolutely nothing. The comment " Backstreet boys of the 60's" shows that writers limited understanding of the breakthrough the Beatles brought to music, as before them and Elvis, blacks weren't even allowed to express themselves on the majority of radio stations throughout the US. It was a constant struggle to get airtime until they created such a wave of youth buying power that the advertisers forced the stations to play music directed at the youth market. I guess some people are simply limited in their understanding of what it took to give youth their own voice even if it did lead to the talentless humps "creating" today. Oh and my generation says "Your Welcome"
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

[quote="HappyCanuck Todays music holds no relevance as it is a talentless cacophony of noise that says absolutely nothing. [/quote]

While I can agree on some of what you say, the quote above is ignorant. To say that ALL music today "holds no relevance" shows your understanding is limited to what is considered pop music. There is alot of good stuff going on, just that what is marketed as mainstream is a more agrresive form of product placement than ever before.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

I hate lists actually, a list can never hold consitanncy when it comes to music and its relevance, the whole spectrum is just too vast.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

westvandal wrote:[quote="HappyCanuck Todays music holds no relevance as it is a talentless cacophony of noise that says absolutely nothing.
While I can agree on some of what you say, the quote above is ignorant. To say that ALL music today "holds no relevance" shows your understanding is limited to what is considered pop music. There is alot of good stuff going on, just that what is marketed as mainstream is a more agrresive form of product placement than ever before.[/quote]

Okay Vandal give me an example of todays music that holds relevance in my everyday walk of life. I could care less about some youthful angst as it's all been done before. I don't want to hear how much some jerk hates the world and it's probably that he can't fit in in the first place. So give me an example where I can go..hmmm I know how he feels or that's an interesting twist.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

The Killers
Jeff Buckley
John Legend
Hawksey Workman
The White Stripes
Michael Franti
K-os
U2
Kayne West
Bare Naked Ladies
Metallica

The shitty thing about "today's music" is that there is no real radio station that plays great music. ...FM taught the listeners about music.....great music...you didn't need a video....video killed the radio star...& good music..you have to look good more than you have to be good. Van Morrison would not exist today..Dylan couldn't get a Starbucks gig....I LOVE music & would love to see music advance...music is so personal as well...you can not make a list & have people agree. This list sucks badly.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Rock 101 here in Vancouver seems to be having a good go at it.
Narg CC
CC Rookie

Post by Narg CC »

There's nothing really wrong with that list. Actually, I'd say it's a pretty damn good one. The authors are obviously trying to take an objective approach to things, with the wide array of genres in there. Almost always "Top" lists become "Favorite" lists; I know if I was doing a list you'd see a hell of a lot more Zeppelin/Beatles in there :shock: I like how they tried to pick songs that had greater impacts on their respective genres and culture alike.

Oh, and as for some good music of today..Tons of good stuff out there.

Metric
Queens of the Stone Age
Radiohead
The Shins!!!
Manu Chao
Drive By Truckers
Tool
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:Rock 101 here in Vancouver seems to be having a good go at it.
The rating book shows them falling through the floor...demographic is too old...not the sweet 20 - 35 range...FM in Vancouver is up for grabs...XFM/Sirus taking a big dent out of the everyday listener......YouTube on the other hand...my god it's a monster
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill