Question On Gretzky

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

supercanuck
CC Veteran

Question On Gretzky

Post by supercanuck »

I was watching Sportsnet and Gene Principe was talking about Pronger being booed when he comes back. In the segment he mentioned that Gretzky was booed in his first game back. Was that true? Wasn't Gretzky traded? Can anyone clarify?
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Yes, Gretzky was booed his first game back to Edmonton, but it really a mix. Some fans felt the Oilers (and Canada to a certain extent) betrayed him, and others felt that it was Gretzky's fault. Oil fans are quite fickle.

When Gretzky was traded (happened right after they won the Cup - rumours were already flying when they were celebrating), fans were enraged at Peter Pocklington for trading away "Canada's treasure." The trade made business sense for Pocklington.

That's the extent of my knowledge on that. Hope it helps.
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

I think he did get booed. Ive read this on a site or thread, I'm looking for it right now.
I Hart Luongo.