Do you use the "N" word?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Do You Use The Word 'Nigger'?

yes
24%
no
76%

Total votes: 21

Spidey
AHL Prospect

Do you use the "N" word?

Post by Spidey »

The poster Verve has no trouble using this word.

Are you offended by it no matter what it's connotation or is it just like saying 'fuck' 'shit' or 'cunt'?

Are we tolerable of free-speech expression but not of racial social classes?

Canada certainly views racism differently than America.

We are subtle here.
The U.S. is more in-your-face blatant.

The Blue Edwards case is an interesting example.

Blue's wife certainly felt that racism is a part of everyday life.
Is that so in multi-cultural Canada?

I live in a pretty cosmopolitan city, no not Vancouver.
There is racism here yes, but is definitely below the surface.

Is that better or worse?

Personally I like how the Americans are.
If you have a problem with hating me because of you are ignorant of my race and culture then look me in the eyes and tell me to my face.
Don't run and hide behind anonymous user names.
I want to see the intelligent people out there and who the inbreds are so I can begin the healing process of educating them that prejudice is not right in any form.

ArachNotBlackButtClose
CanuckCentral Refugee Claimant
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

I don't use the term and it shouldn't be used here either....

People of colour are people period. Same blood, same sweat...they're just people and should be treated just like you or I.

Now, it should be pointed out that even people of colour now refer to "nigga's" in their recent rap songs...what that mean's I do not know. :?
Spidey
AHL Prospect

Post by Spidey »

Brian CC wrote:Now, it should be pointed out that even people of colour now refer to "nigga's" in their recent rap songs...what that mean's I do not know. :?
Good point Brian

Words can and have power (on a message board?! :shock: ).

Butt when the offended party takes back the 'power' from the offendee (white slave and plantation owners) and use it on thier own terms does that make it 'alright' now?

Geuss same applies to sexism and a woman being called a 'skanky ho bitch' by a male as opposed to being called 'skanky ho bitch' by another woman.

Empowerment and education as to how the 'game' works perhaps...

Still, 'nigger' offends some people of colour so I, like you, will not use it, not even on here...

ArachPimp
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

I would never use it. Everybody knows at least some history behind the word. And IMO only the extremely ignorant and classless would use it, including other black people. No black person I know uses the word. Words like "fuck" or "shit" are just this society's curses and are not prejudices.

I agree, spidey, if there are those out there who are racist, go ahead and show yourselves. Ignorance is one thing I can't stand at all.
Eyes on the Prize
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Never use it. I don't believe in that be using the word yourself removes the power of the word from those that created it theory. If that was the case given the prevelance of such words in todays culture it should hold no power no matter who uses it but that isn't the case. As a white guy I could never use that word. Of course my experiences and growing up were much different and that perhaps influences this particular belief. I would never want to use the word as I don't believe it has any business in anybody vocabulary. To me the "embracing" of the word is not empowering but sad. I know black guys that think the same thing (my wife's grandfather and many realtives are black). Sad because it's a word that should have been eliminated from peoples minds ages ago.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

I use it once in a while in a joking manner. On tv black people call each other the word in a joking and nonjoking manner.

I am not a racist person to any race, colour or religion. I do believe we are all equal
CTS
AHL Prospect

Post by CTS »

I don't use the word, but I think context matters a lot. Axl Rose used it in a song called One In A Million (along with a couple other offensive remarks) that generated a LOT of controversy. Some fans say it was indefensible, others disagree. I think he was trying to convey intense emotion from one person's perspective on events that the person faced, and he elected to use words that were most powerful. A song shouldn't be taken so literally IMO...especially one that is telling a story. Anyways, there's a lot of discussion about this song out there in cyberspace and the reasons why the words were used.

Are all instances of the word deplorable and so it should never be in anyone's vocabulary? That sounds like trying to pretend the past never happened. Like I said, context and intent matters a lot. If you use it in a malicious way in everyday life, and especially if you direct it at the entire black population, that's a hell of a lot worse than using it in a creative way for a story or a song.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Honestly words like that ... racial slurs are the only words that i don't try and say... don't know how well i have been doing it lately but yeah i always imediatly feel bad afterwards.
Heavy_P
AHL Prospect

Post by Heavy_P »

I don't have a need to say that word. This is one of the most bizarre posts I have ever seen here. Kind of reminds me of Kenikov (I'm sure everyone remembers that guy from last year).
"No, if your jaw were broken, you would'nt be able to talk...and my life would be much easier." - Oracle
F15 Driver
MVP
MVP

Post by F15 Driver »

What is up with this site?
Where do these post subjects come from?
Posts like:
"I'm still a virgin"?
"Nigger"?

Wow, when there's no hockey, we all go a little mental...
F-15E Strike Eagle - Cadillac of the Skies!
Spidey
AHL Prospect

Post by Spidey »

F15 Driver wrote:What is up with this site?
Where do these post subjects come from?
Posts like:
"I'm still a virgin"?
"Nigger"?

Wow, when there's no hockey, we all go a little mental...
You said a mouthful there jaws :o

ArachNoPucks
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Why is nigger more offensive to some than "hindu" or "chink"........... or "paki" ? These slangs should all be equally offensive shouldn't they ?
Spidey
AHL Prospect

Post by Spidey »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Why is nigger more offensive to some than "hindu" or "chink"........... or "paki" ? These slangs should all be equally offensive shouldn't they ?
Why?

Did these you speak of go against their will from their homelands into slavery and stripped of all human rights forced to work, was raped and oppressed for centuries and called 'nigger' as a nickname for useless, owner-less, right-less human being?

I think not.

Stereotypes are not right in use against any race or creed.

One thing I wanted to address, the context, of the use of the word 'nigger'.
In an historical context I think it is fine. In a song video or lyrics it is fine if it used in a context adjunct to it's meaning and not prejudice or derogatory.

John Lennon wrote a song called "Woman are the Niggers of the World'.
He did not get the flak Axel Rose got.

In a Politically Correct charged world we have to be careful of we say.
In a perfect world we should just be careful how we say it.

ArachSlaveToTheRave[/b]
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Spidey wrote
In a song video or lyrics it is fine if it used in a context adjunct to it's meaning and not prejudice or derogatory.

How is that different from the way I used it ?
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

Spidey wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Why is nigger more offensive to some than "hindu" or "chink"........... or "paki" ? These slangs should all be equally offensive shouldn't they ?
Why?

Did these you speak of go against their will from their homelands into slavery and stripped of all human rights forced to work, was raped and oppressed for centuries and called 'nigger' as a nickname for useless, owner-less, right-less human being?
[/b]
maybe you think nigger is more offensive because you know more about the history of it than of other minorities. do you know why east indians are called "FOB's"? do you know when people actually started using the term "pakis"? theres many others pertaining to other cultures, but no one is worse than the rest. they are all equally offensive to the person who has to hear it...