We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Taiwan was also more prepared as they were hit hard by SARS in 2003. However other Asia-Pacific nations that have had strict lockdowns are having trouble opening up without a resurgence. Suppression is probably a losing battle, and the so-called "global consensus" is probably due to politics as no politician wants to be associated with a high death count.

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Per wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:03 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:52 am
The countries that sealed themselves off early and diligently hunted down carriers are now sitting at and around 0 cases (NZ, Taiwan, etc). These would appear to be engaging in the most successful strategy and if they can continue to control who comes and goes through their borders it would be the most effective solution while awaiting vaccine development.

Obviously my 2 examples are island nations but i think this has been the global consensus success pathway to beating this thing ( except for Sweden and apparently the USA)
Have you heard about Brazil and Belarus?

Belarus is afaik the only country to still have professional sports events with spectators.

Bolsonaro is still doing the early Trump ”it’s just a flu” shtick and fired a health minister for wanting a lockdown.
Ok Sweden, USA, Belarus and Brazil. All bastions of right wing extremism?

Sweden is hanging out with the trailerpark kids down the block
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

5thhorseman wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:09 pm
Taiwan was also more prepared as they were hit hard by SARS in 2003. However other Asia-Pacific nations that have had strict lockdowns are having trouble opening up without a resurgence. Suppression is probably a losing battle, and the so-called "global consensus" is probably due to politics as no politician wants to be associated with a high death count.
As someone who doesnt want it to run through my household i would much prefer suppression

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:26 pm
5thhorseman wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:09 pm
As someone who doesnt want it to run through my household i would much prefer suppression
Agree with it not running through my household or my immediate family but for how long can we keep this up?

I am assuming we will not go down the path Sweden and other countries but there will be a loosening of the requirements and we will see an increase in positives. The key will be keeping it at a level that is manageable. Then when round 2 comes which country will be better able to handle it? Glad I am not one of the people making this decision because you will always be wrong.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:18 am
Vaccine development typically takes 18 months, so that would be mid-2021. Then, about 6 months to mass-produce it and vaccinate everyone, so end-2021. That's worst-case as there will probably be some shortcuts taken with respect to testing/certification, though that raises other issues. It's also best-case in that it may not be possible to develop a vaccine at all ... remember, there's never been one for a coronavirus yet (common cold, SARS, MERS).
HA! You just better pay up when you lose that little bet of ours. :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:52 am
The countries that sealed themselves off early and diligently hunted down carriers are now sitting at and around 0 cases (NZ, Taiwan, etc). These would appear to be engaging in the most successful strategy and if they can continue to control who comes and goes through their borders it would be the most effective solution while awaiting vaccine development.

Obviously my 2 examples are island nations but i think this has been the global consensus success pathway to beating this thing ( except for Sweden and apparently the USA)
Belize likewise, no new cases in over two weeks. Closed borders, strict curfew and restricted internal travel. Though testing may be suspect.

Much of Central America did the same.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:15 pm
5thhorseman wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:18 am
Vaccine development typically takes 18 months, so that would be mid-2021. Then, about 6 months to mass-produce it and vaccinate everyone, so end-2021. That's worst-case as there will probably be some shortcuts taken with respect to testing/certification, though that raises other issues. It's also best-case in that it may not be possible to develop a vaccine at all ... remember, there's never been one for a coronavirus yet (common cold, SARS, MERS).
HA! You just better pay up when you lose that little bet of ours. :mex:
Pay up? Oh, I guess you want me to unblock Reefer so you can share your misery, lol.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:56 pm
Pay up? Oh, I guess you want me to unblock Reefer so you can share your misery, lol.
Good thing I mentioned it.

I slid Gomer107 into the pot and you called with Reefer2...

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 58#p379558
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Bwahahaha!!!!!

:lol:

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Why are all the anti lockdown protesters inbred hillbillies? :lol:

"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Why are all the White Nationalists of the inbred sort?

"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:40 pm
Doc how’d you like my postings today? Not bad for a Dude with zero background in Economics and military funding. I just copy and paste shit like it’s going out of style
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Hargraves has hit a wall. No more boozing during the week. :lol:
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:36 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:40 pm
Doc how’d you like my postings today? Not bad for a Dude with zero background in Economics and military funding. I just copy and paste shit like it’s going out of style
Doc, what about Kynan Dutton? Solid Bloke?

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:45 pm
Hargraves has hit a wall. No more boozing during the week. :lol:
Me too. I’m feeling ill from all the covid drinking, the body is surrendering “no mas”. A break is in order here as well