where to wash out ginch (aka dining in vancouver 'scorner edition)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

where to wash out ginch (aka dining in vancouver 'scorner edition)

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

By request

So Dim Sum? I know Pink Pearl and Pelican are on the list but any more ideas? Any actual asian dudes with insight? I dont like the old dragon inn sweet and sour pork garbage...I am going for the chicken feet crowd. Prefer to stay off of Lulu island...Im staying in north bby so going over there isnt where I want to go really. The seedy hastings area or east van somewhere is best.

Anyone living down Broadway area who has had Gigi's in the past 20 years or less? Is it still good?

Trocaderos? Doc?
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: where to wash out ginch (aka dining in vancouver 'scorner edition)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Dude, hook UDL up with the place you used during the Mike Gillis era.

That place had to be legit to keep you in clean fart-catchers.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I'm not in Vancouver that often, but there are 2 pizza places that I go out of my way to get to whenever I can:

Zachary's on Oak at about 10th, and
Lombardo's on Commercial at 1st in the little mall on the NW corner.

Neither place is inexpensive, but the crust, cheese and toppings are excellent. They obliterate any chain pizza.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Is Flying Wedge on Cornwall still there? That was my favourite place back in the day.

And then close by was Siegel Bagel - open 24/7 and perfect for grabbing food after walking home from the Cambie.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

This will be the TripAdvisor thread for UDL's visits to Van every 20 years :lol:

Trocaderos - Nanaimo & 8th. Still there, looking the same as it ever was. (There's a place called Bon's next door that serves $2.95 breakfasts)
Gigi's - The aforementioned.

Dude, you're going to be high so you should just go back to these places to reminisce. It's going to be good (enough) ;)

For dimsum, I'd say just go to the Pelican. Safe bet, authentic and easy access from North Burnaby. But just for you, here's another place that both honkies and yellow-faces love and they share steamed baskets of delight together... at the same table:

Western Lake - 4989 Victoria Drive (Victoria & 34th Avenue). Apparently the dishes are served ridonkulous size. No need to mention that anywhere with Chinese means huge lineups.

Bumfuck Alberta loves chicken feet?! Mind Blown.

Corny, Flying Wedge Cambie is still there. What Flying Wedge now charges per slice is criminal.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I wonder if the old rock shop is still downtown hastings somewhere near cambie. I bought a tassled leather jacket there in the 80s so i could do the eagle/jesus christ pose at concerts and score chicks who like rockers.

I actually think that dweeb set up his weed seed place near there. Whats his name...with the tootsie glasses. Hes in jail i think with his old lady
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I ended up in chinatung at new tung. It was damn good i have to say...especially the steamed pork buns and the gooey stuff with the sketch meat stuff inside.

At least vancouver has eased the congestion since i left. It used to be waaaaay worse getting around.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hey, glad you got your dose of non-honky food. Steamed BBQ pork bungs is a staple at dimsum.

Are you still here? Did you get some herb from these new "medicinal" shops that are all over the place before you chilled at Gigi's? How was the pizza?

If you were here about 10-15 years ago(?), you could have also tried hookers from the Mount Pleasant area.

The city is always less congested in the summer. People and their kids seem to leave town until September, where the gridlock and road rage begins anew.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Where did all the hookers go? Dude asked me to meet him for a beer at the Astoria the other day and I noticed they seem to have been pushed out of that area.

Are they all in Mount Pleasure and Abbotsford now?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:14 pm Are they all in Mount Pleasure and Abbotsford now?
True story, Abby was a small town when I got here.

Around a year later the first hooker arrived.

I swear, it was the talk of the town!

It's a city now with more hookers than you can shake your stick at...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Ya i got a pizza at gigis one night. Too bad. I ruined the memory...was pretty bad. Tasted like shit.

I did hit up medicanna on boundary and hastings. Cant believe you can just buy weed like that...browsing jars of happiness is exactly how it should be.

I was pretty suprised that i didnt see many skid bags down in chinatown at all. Its all tourists mostly now and that helps i guess. So where are all the meth freaks and shit? Fentanyled?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:34 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:14 pm Are they all in Mount Pleasure and Abbotsford now?

Hmmm. Going out for milk has never been so...handy? :lol:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Don't let that stop you from trying.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:14 pm
Ya i got a pizza at gigis one night. Too bad. I ruined the memory...was pretty bad. Tasted like shit.
Ha! I knew it! The only good thing about Gigi's is their sign.
I did hit up medicanna on boundary and hastings. Cant believe you can just buy weed like that...browsing jars of happiness is exactly how it should be.

I must claim ignorance on marijuana laws and such these days, but I still can't believe someone can just walk into an establishment and just buy some weed. Just that easy?
I was pretty suprised that i didnt see many skid bags down in chinatown at all. Its all tourists mostly now and that helps i guess. So where are all the meth freaks and shit? Fentanyled?
Depends on what time of day it is, how sober they are, but there's always a few stumbling around harassing people for change. They're usually there for the cheap food. So when they're not fucked up, it's Kent's Kitchen on Keefer, Tim Horton's and another place on the corner across the Main Library on Main & Hastings. Zombies need to eat brains every once in awhile.

You want the heart of Zombieville Central? Hastings & Abbott. There was the Heroin epidemic, then crack, then meth, now fentanyl and the aforementioned. Lots of shit to zombie-fy people. They're usually en mass there.

Funny to see how scared, repulsed, etc. some of the American tourists are when they cross skid row to Chinatown & Gastown. They can't believe there's a place like this beautiful Van. Some of them are from major cities, so I'm like don't you have hardcore ghettos and stuff in 'Murica? Then I realize white folks like them have probably been so sheltered that they never ventured anywhere close.

Of course, I tell them not to worry... you will literally get killed in your city if you went near a ghetto, but you can walk up and down here and might only get some schizo screaming.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The new hotness on commercial drive is 'The Downlow Chicken Shack'
"Vancouver's first Nashville hot chicken spot arrives on the Drive"

https://www.straight.com/food/1085611/d ... drive-next

lol it replaces the former vegan spot there aha, lineups there during evenings sometimes.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.