the paranoia of the canuck fanbase

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: the paranoia of the canuck fanbase

Post by 2Fingers »

Coming from you that is rich.

But sure your right.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 am
rikster wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:34 am Bennings comments at the time "He’s going to help and he’s going to help our young kids in the future.” sums up why he signed Eriksson and the organization has been clear, crystal clear on how it wants to rebuild the franchise..
I guess the comments from management about retooling on the fly doesn’t mean much?

LE was not brought in to mentor anyone, he had little leadership qualities, he was brought in because Sedins were still playing and they hopped for the 3 of them to click and create a top line. Then hope for a second line to be created out of the remaining players.
So you believe Benning was lying through his teeth about LE being brought on board to be a mentor (WHY would he lie)

... and that he was being completely honest two years earlier when he used "retooling on the fly"... rather than "rebuild".

(the reasons he would be somewhat disingenuous on that one are obvious and have been stated many times)

Are you happy in the reality you have created? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

rikster wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:11 am
micky107 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:16 am Here we go again with that damn word "mentoring".
Way over used and in most cases inaccurate.
Benning"s first year was a playoff year.

I prefer the term leader as opposed to mentor. (sounds like a freakin professor) and we sure as hell haven't brought in one of those. :lol:
LE was acquired for the Sedins. He sure as hell isn't a teacher. A guy that mopes around cause he's in one of his slumps.
Sutter was brought in as a leader type and he gets a solid C- for it too, hurray. Horvat sure as hell didn't need his tutelage. Asa matter of fact
Horvat is more of a leader, MENTOR, than ANYONE that has been brought in.
Miller was good. Vanek was OK.
Gagner-NOT.
Roussel is there to be a counter measure for all things cheap and shitty that need retaliation.

Of note; The Sedins said they did NOT take players aside and talk to them, rather they tried to lead by example.
It doesn't matter what you think of the word "mentoring", it's a reality and one that the organization feels is very important for their prospect pool...

Regarding Sedins not taking players aside and talking to them, you might want to ask Horvat about that one...I agree the message gets across much better if the player delivering it can perform on the ice but to say it doesn't exist is silly....

Miller, Gagner, Vanek, etc, etc are all players who were brought in to give the team some stability until it could put together a core group of some 6 to 8 elite prospects who will most likely come from the draft and eventually be the group to return the team to a Cup contender...

Today they have maybe 2 in Horvat and Boeser and fingers crossed they have another 2 or 3 in their current prospect pool and can add another few over the next couple of drafts ...

Benning is in year 5 of his rebuild, some experts predicted it would take 7 to 10 years to get there and given where the prospect pool is today and where it was when he arrived I'm of the opinion that he is doing a very good job....

Some can choose to over analyze free agent signings and the term and dollars of contracts, none of which will not restrict or impede the rebuild, that's their choice, but I'm focused on the teams ability to find 6 to 8 elite players....

The team everyone in the hockey world is fawning over, the leaves have had what the Nucks haven't had....draft lottery luck and sooner or later it will turn in the Canucks favor...

The leaves have only 1 buried contract in their system now, which is down from having as many as 6 not that long ago....They are paying Phil Kessel $1.2 million per season for 4 more seasons not to play with them and it hasn't hurt their ability to sign the likes of Tavares so I don't understand all of the angst in Vancouver over their contract situation....

But in a market where the use of the words "rebuild" or "retool" can cause so much angst and debate, its not surprising...

Take care...
Nice way to start off a post, dear sir. I shall begin mine in a similar flavor.
It doesn't matter what you think at all.
The word mentoring, by definition, is wrong in most cases. Is Gagner your choice for an instructor? Eriksson? Sutter?
They are here for the money and I seriously have reservations in regards to how much they care about 18 to 22 year old player's progression.
I think it an illusion to expect it. I see it more along the lines of justification of the fact they, and others, have been acquired by the current
management. By that, I am not disparaging the current management on an overall basis.

Also, I was quoting what Daniel Sedin said at the conclusion of the regular season.
I am assuming you are quoting Mr. Horvat.

The coaches are the instructors...
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

micky107 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:16 am Here we go again with that damn word "mentoring".

I prefer the term leader as opposed to mentor. (sounds like a freakin professor) and we sure as hell haven't brought in one of those. :lol:
LE was acquired for the Sedins. He sure as hell isn't a teacher. A guy that mopes around cause he's in one of his slumps.
Sutter was brought in as a leader type and he gets a solid C- for it too, hurray. Horvat sure as hell didn't need his tutelage. Asa matter of fact
Gagner-NOT.
Roussel is there to be a counter measure for all things cheap and shitty that need retaliation.

Of note; The Sedins said they did NOT take players aside and talk to them, rather they tried to lead by example.
Too harsh of a response my bad micky
Last edited by Richardstroker69 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:01 pm So you believe Benning was lying through his teeth about LE being brought on board to be a mentor (WHY would he lie)

... and that he was being completely honest two years earlier when he used "retooling on the fly"... rather than "rebuild".
I believe he was absolutely convinced both statements were true.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:12 pm I believe he was absolutely convinced both statements were true.
That's great but we were trying to determine what goes on in Mr Reefer's skull.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:12 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:01 pm So you believe Benning was lying through his teeth about LE being brought on board to be a mentor (WHY would he lie)

I believe he was absolutely convinced both statements were true.
PT Barnum may have said it best.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Wasn't it shortly after LE was brought in that the narrative changed from retool to rebuild
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dangler wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:22 pm Wasn't it shortly after LE was brought in that the narrative changed from retool to rebuild

The narrative changed in that the terminology changed. Why? Who knows why they stated to say rebuild. But note they still use transition and retool as well. They still say remain competitive, protect the kids, build a new core etc etc etc.

Some people got all excited when Benning first uttered rebuild thinking he finally admitted his mistakes and was going to do it right this time. Same people can’t understand his off season signings because it isn’t consistent with their view of a rebuild, which they assumed Benning was now on track to execute. He hasn’t changed his focus or his methodology. As the rebuild progresses so too does his management of same shift.

Narrative, what’s really different, other than we as a team are in a different place than year 1, 2, 3, 4.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Gagner-NOT.

Dude you’re talking out of your ass you have no idea what goes on in the locker room and pretending to know who brings “leadership” or not when you don’t know what’s going on in the locker room is ignorant.
Actually I do have some knowledge of what has been transpiring in the room though not as much this past year.
You are talking out your ass. Trying to be, well, I don't know what your trying to be.
You can tell so much by watching the games. The mannerisms on the ice and the expressions on the bench.
If you have the insight, you can get an idea from the interviews with players. What they say, or don't say and "reading between the lines".
Or is that woosh?
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:15 am Are you happy in the reality you have created for yourself?
You don't need to play dumb man. We all know what you like to do.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

micky107 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:24 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Gagner-NOT.

Dude you’re talking out of your ass you have no idea what goes on in the locker room and pretending to know who brings “leadership” or not when you don’t know what’s going on in the locker room is ignorant.
Actually I do have some knowledge of what has been transpiring in the room though not as much this past year.
You are talking out your ass. Trying to be, well, I don't know what your trying to be.
You can tell so much by watching the games. The mannerisms on the ice and the expressions on the bench.
If you have the insight, you can get an idea from the interviews with players. What they say, or don't say and "reading between the lines".
Or is that woosh?
Please share this inside knowledge than. Also you can’t take anything a player says to the media as anything but fluff and garbage, I mean cmon man.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

NO.
And your becoming a house fly. :look:
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:28 am
Strangelove wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:15 am Are you happy in the reality you have created for yourself?
You don't need to play dumb man. We all know what you like to do.
Fuck you Todd, I haven't used a sock account since 2010 at Central.

Sock accounts are not allowed at the Corner...
____
Try to focus on someday.