FIFA World Cup 2018

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 am

Next FIFA WC Portugal will be hard pressed to even make it without Ronaldo. That team is basically 9 guys and Ronaldo, but their keeper was phenomenal in the game today.

Putin rally must have paid off the FIFA officials to get into such a bad division.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Per » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:20 pm

Highlights from Iceland vs Nigeria. Completely different games in the first and second half. Nigeria didn't even muster a shot on goal in the first half, then completely dominated in the second. The coach must have given the players new instructions after seeing that plan A did not work.

Especially check out Musa's second goal. But also note that he scores both goals and also has a shot in the crossbar! And this guy was benched when Nigeria played Croatia!
:o

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Reefer2 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Sorry Per, Sweden was in tough and Germany was on the attack.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Per » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:48 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 pm
Sorry Per, Sweden was in tough and Germany was on the attack.
Yeah, missed the game as I am on a plane to London, but from what I understand Sweden played really well.
It's harsh to lose on a goal scored after 95 minutes in a game that supposedly only lasts 90. :|

But we still have a shot at advancing. If we beat Mexico.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Reefer2 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:46 pm

Per wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:48 pm
Reefer2 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 pm
Sorry Per, Sweden was in tough and Germany was on the attack.
Yeah, missed the game as I am on a plane to London, but from what I understand Sweden played really well.
It's harsh to lose on a goal scored after 95 minutes in a game that supposedly only lasts 90. :|

But we still have a shot at advancing. If we beat Mexico.
Germany dominated the game, Sweden seemed to play for a tie. Totally different German team.

Officiating was meh, Sweden should of had a PK in first half but no call. Sweden did well when they quickly ckuntervattacked but they didn’t do enough of it.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17030
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Strangelove » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:43 pm

BAH soccer is a commie plot, just look at who in this thread are following it...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Per » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:43 pm
BAH soccer is a commie plot, just look at who in this thread are following it...
But the Soviets were never really good at it.
Looking at the traditional powerhouses - Germany. Italy, Argentina, Brazil... - it would seem more plausible with a fascist plot.

Not that communism and fascism aren't related, but we don't need to get into that again. :look:
Last edited by Per on Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17030
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:46 pm

Yes we do need to get into that again cuz... Modern Liberal Fascism. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Per » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:14 pm

Back on topic: http://lebuzz.eurosport.co.uk/viral/38147-38147/

We were robbed! :evil:

Meanwhile England completely undressed Panama, 6-1.
These ConcaCaf teams clearly suck.

Japan tied Senegal (2-2) and Colombia beat Poland 3-0
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Per » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:11 am

Sweden scores!
Augustinsson!
1-0 against Mexico!
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Per » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:31 am

Sorry, I meant 3-0! :rockin:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Per » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:00 am

Sweden wins the group, Mexico also goes on to the round of 16.
Germany eliminated after losing to South Korea! :shock:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:33 am

Per wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:00 am
Sweden wins the group, Mexico also goes on to the round of 16.
Germany eliminated after losing to South Korea! :shock:
Amazing - Italy not in and Germany gone.

Did not see the game today but in the 2 that I watched Germany plays the same way and does not change tactics. Pass pass pass pass, go back to goalie. To me they always seemed to try and make the perfect play.

So far of the teams that made it there is no true #1 powerhouse, it is open to all.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Per » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:33 am
Per wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:00 am
Sweden wins the group, Mexico also goes on to the round of 16.
Germany eliminated after losing to South Korea! :shock:
Amazing - Italy not in and Germany gone.

Did not see the game today but in the 2 that I watched Germany plays the same way and does not change tactics. Pass pass pass pass, go back to goalie. To me they always seemed to try and make the perfect play.

So far of the teams that made it there is no true #1 powerhouse, it is open to all.
Argentina, France, Spain, Brazil.... OK, so none of them have impressed, but they are traditional powerhouses.

Also, considering Sweden eliminated Italy in direct qualification games and won the group the Germans ended last in...
Just saying.... :mex:

Edit: Oh, and the Dutch! We also eliminated the Netherlands, who were in our qualification group! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Per on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Per » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Btw, I'm pleased that Sweden will face Switzerland in the round of 16; I think we have a good chance to beat them, especially since their captain got his second yellow card tonight and will have to sit the next game out.

I'm only concerned that the rest of the world will get confused and think we are playing ourselves...
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Post Reply