bitcoin

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 10195
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: bitcoin

Post by Topper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 pm

John McAffee LOL

Look up his murderous home in San Pedro and Corazol drug lab. Belizean adventures lol.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1251
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: bitcoin

Post by 5thhorseman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 pm

griz wrote:Did you get some bitcoin?
Not yet, but it is interesting reading. I can see it growing in value as the trading network and user base expands, but I wonder if there might be a clampdown someday due to the organised crime element.

Still got to research some more, but it's also possible to make 2x, 5x, or 10x your money on stocks, so bitcoin is not the be all and end all.

griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: bitcoin

Post by griz » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:10 am

:mex:
5thhorseman wrote:
griz wrote:Did you get some bitcoin?
Not yet, but it is interesting reading. I can see it growing in value as the trading network and user base expands, but I wonder if there might be a clampdown someday due to the organised crime element.
When you hear that some criminals have used bitcoin, keep in mind that some criminals have also used USD/CAD.
5thhorseman wrote:Still got to research some more, but it's also possible to make 2x, 5x, or 10x your money on stocks, so bitcoin is not the be all and end all.
Definitely. The more ways to earn the better! CME is starting bitcoin futures in a week or two and that should open it up to a LOT more people.

John McAffee, Trump, Boeser and Bitcoin rocks! :mex:

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7759
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: bitcoin

Post by Cornuck » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Interesting look at bitcoin and the power consumption needed to keep it going.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... explained/
Comments section actually is interesting for once...
2018-19 - The Road to 82

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3826
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: bitcoin

Post by Per » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 am

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7759
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: bitcoin

Post by Cornuck » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 am

Topper wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:25 pm
Reads like a pump and dump
Current price: $3565....

Somebody made a shitload of money. I'm guessing many more lost a shitload.
2018-19 - The Road to 82

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1251
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: bitcoin

Post by 5thhorseman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 am
Topper wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:25 pm
Reads like a pump and dump
Current price: $3565....

Somebody made a shitload of money. I'm guessing many more lost a shitload.
Yeah, don't invest in something you don't even remotely understand. Wonder if griz got out in time.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 10195
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: bitcoin

Post by Topper » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:24 pm

I wonder if short selling was a possibility?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1251
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: bitcoin

Post by 5thhorseman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:22 pm

I got sucked into a pump and dump early on in my investing career. Only a few grand lost; seemed a lot at the time but now it's small change for the lesson I learned.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3826
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: bitcoin

Post by Per » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:16 am

5thhorseman wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:06 pm
Cornuck wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 am
Topper wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:25 pm
Reads like a pump and dump
Current price: $3565....

Somebody made a shitload of money. I'm guessing many more lost a shitload.
Yeah, don't invest in something you don't even remotely understand. Wonder if griz got out in time.
What little I understood made me stay away. It's a currency. Currencies fluctuate. When more people want more of a specific currency, the value goes up. When less people want it, the value goes down. It seems highly implausible that any currency would increase in value indefinitely. Even less so a currency that is not propped up by any government or central bank. It looked like a big bubble, and bubbles are prone to bursting.

That being said, there were people in Holland in the 1600's that built fortunes trading tulip bulbs.
https://www.investopedia.com/features/c ... ashes2.asp

The earliest known financial speculation bubble.

If you get in early, and get out before the inevitable crash, you can do quite nicely. But it is a hell of a risk.
Once you start reading about these things in a newspaper it's usually too late to join.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 10195
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: bitcoin

Post by Topper » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:45 am

Per wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:16 am
5thhorseman wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:06 pm
Cornuck wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 am
Topper wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:25 pm
Reads like a pump and dump
Current price: $3565....

Somebody made a shitload of money. I'm guessing many more lost a shitload.
Yeah, don't invest in something you don't even remotely understand. Wonder if griz got out in time.
What little I understood made me stay away. It's a currency. Currencies fluctuate. When more people want more of a specific currency, the value goes up. When less people want it, the value goes down. It seems highly implausible that any currency would increase in value indefinitely. Even less so a currency that is not propped up by any government or central bank. It looked like a big bubble, and bubbles are prone to bursting.

That being said, there were people in Holland in the 1600's that built fortunes trading tulip bulbs.
https://www.investopedia.com/features/c ... ashes2.asp

The earliest known financial speculation bubble.

If you get in early, and get out before the inevitable crash, you can do quite nicely. But it is a hell of a risk.
Once you start reading about these things in a newspaper it's usually too late to join.
I know people who made millions on Bre-X. I was prompted by my broker to buy in at $12, I declined because I didn't trust a project booming like that in a country controlled by the Suharto clan. Sooner or later they would get their cut and things would get messy.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Post Reply