The War on Canada

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: The War on Canada

Post by 2Fingers »

Per wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:38 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:36 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:08 am Yeah I guess it sucks to stand up for women’s rights...
Reefer2 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:08 am and other minorities.
So in your mind women are part of the LGBT? Image
I think he's just saying there aren't enough women. :look:
Sure
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:39 pm
Cornuck wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:45 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:39 pm Canada talking tough with the Saudis.

I guess we can always hide behind Trump and the US military if things get real.
LOL - do you go "Worst Case Scenario" with every thought? :D

(Besides, it would be NATO - nobody relies on the US for anything these days)
look at our military with their canoes, bi planes and muskets.

Look at our pm Maggie Jr.

Maybe we should send Gregor Robertson over there to sort things out.
Dude you have no fucking clue about our military, I served 9 years, 4 in Edmonton with ppcli, our military puts to shame everybody else in nato. Americans love having our infantry fighting side by side with them cause our regular infanteers are damn close to there special forces.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:15 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:39 pm Canada talking tough with the Saudis.

Dude you have no fucking clue about our military, I served 9 years, 4 in Edmonton with ppcli, our military puts to shame everybody else in nato. Americans love having our infantry fighting side by side with them cause our regular infanteers are damn close to there special forces.
Thanks RS69
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9oakm9-vjo
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Read between the lines. Jesus there are some thick people on this board. It’s more a swipe at the federal govt and the lack of funding they provide for our country’s armed forces. The fact that a country this size with all our resources can maybe mobilize 75,000 personnel is a disgrace.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

As per usual, Trump does not know what he is talking about, but interesting none the less:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/27/poli ... index.html
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:52 pm As per usual, Trump does not know what he is talking about, but interesting none the less:

He knows exactly what he's doing and right now he's putting pressure on Canada to make concessions and join in.

Patience, the new trade agreement (whatever it's called) will be official before long...

Topper and I (and I think Ratski?) have been telling you all along that the threat of trade wars is how Trump negotiates trade agreements.

And to think you started this thread with the words "Trump is starting a new trade war..."

The largely anti-Trump media is hailing today as a major Trump victory, but you searched for an article that tries to tarnish things amirite?
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:50 pm
Per wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:52 pm As per usual, Trump does not know what he is talking about, but interesting none the less:

He knows exactly what he's doing and right now he's putting pressure on Canada to make concessions and join in.

Patience, the new trade agreement (whatever it's called) will be official before long...

Topper and I (and I think Ratski?) have been telling you all along that the threat of trade wars is how Trump negotiates trade agreements.

And to think you started this thread with the words "Trump is starting a new trade war..."

The largely anti-Trump media is hailing today as a major Trump victory, but you searched for an article that tries to tarnish things amirite?
I’m with ya Doc
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Trump has started a trade war. The illegal tariffs on steel and aluminium are in place, and the EU, China, Canada, Turkey and others have responded in kind.

Now, if that is a strategy he is using to be in a better position to negotiate, fine. But it is destroying jobs on all continents - not least in the USA - as we speak.

As for his negotiations with Mexico; despite what he says, no new trade deal is in place, and none of the signatory states have revoked the Nafta agreement, even though the USA is currently in breech of it.
Yet while Mr. Trump may try to change the name, the agreement reached with Mexico is simply a revised Nafta, with updates to provisions surrounding the digital economy, automobiles, agriculture and labor unions. The core of the trade pact — which allows American companies to operate in Mexico and Canada without tariffs — remains intact.

Now, the question becomes whether a trilateral pact becomes a bilateral deal — or Mr. Trump’s threats pressure Canada to return to the negotiating table and accede to many of the United States’ demands.

The president’s apparent willingness to move on without Canada prompted confusion and concern among lawmakers — who said it may not be legally permissible, let alone smart — and businesses whose supply chains depend on a deal encompassing all three countries.

“Because of the massive amount of movement of goods between the three countries and the integration of operations which make manufacturing in our country more competitive, it is imperative that a trilateral agreement be inked,” Jay Timmons, the president and chief executive of the National Association of Manufacturers, said in a statement.

Mexican officials said on Monday that they wanted to have Canada back in the process and were working toward a trilateral deal by the end of the week. President Enrique Peña Nieto of Mexico, who joined the White House announcement via phone, said, “It is our wish, Mr. President, that now Canada will also be able to be incorporated in all this.”

Furthermore, the changes made are a move away from free trade, and will thus hurt both the consumers and the economy:
The revised deal with Mexico makes significant alterations to rules governing automobile manufacturing, in an effort to bring more car production back to the United States from Mexico. Those changes are being watched carefully by the United States auto industry, which has built its global supply chain around Nafta and expressed concern that the Trump administration’s efforts to rewrite it could raise prices of American-made cars and trucks. Automakers like General Motors and Ford have set up plants in Canada and Mexico, and American automakers routinely import car parts from other countries.

Under the changes agreed to by Mexico and the United States, car companies would be required to manufacture at least 75 percent of an automobile’s value in North America under the new rules, up from 62.5 percent, to qualify for Nafta’s zero tariffs. They will also be required to use more local steel, aluminum and auto parts, and have 40 to 45 percent of the car made by workers earning at least $16 an hour, a boon to both the United States and Canada and a win for labor unions, which have been among Nafta’s biggest critics.
As you can see above, this is a move that is a cause of concern for automakers even if it makes labour unions happy. That is probably a very short term happiness though, because if the American auto industry isn't competitive, it will mean lost jobs down the road.

Now, I'm all for strong labour unions, but I do not think they should be allowed to set the agenda for trade agreements. I simply don't think they see the bigger picture. They go for the short term gain, which will damage the economy in the long term.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/27/us/p ... -deal.html
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 pm Trump has started a trade war. The illegal tariffs on steel and aluminium are in place, and the EU, China, Canada, Turkey and others have responded in kind.

Now, if that is a strategy he is using to be in a better position to negotiate, fine. But it is destroying jobs on all continents - not least in the USA - as we speak.
Try to see the "big picture" Per, the end result will be more jobs and a stronger economy.

This is a case of the end justifying the means...

Per wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 pm As for his negotiations with Mexico; despite what he says, no new trade deal is in place, and none of the signatory states have revoked the Nafta agreement, even though the USA is currently in breech of it.
Yet while Mr. Trump may try to change the name, the agreement reached with Mexico is simply a revised Nafta, with updates to provisions surrounding the digital economy, automobiles, agriculture and labor unions. The core of the trade pact — which allows American companies to operate in Mexico and Canada without tariffs — remains intact.
Yeah sure, it's a revised NAFTA (if and WHEN Canada makes concessions and gets on board) which is why I said "whatever it's called".

Lord Trump was very clear in his press conference that he is going to drop the name "NAFTA" because it has a "bad connotation".

Of course everyone knows Congress will pass this, with or without Canada.

This is key to the pressure he is putting on Canada

... and the reason he threw out "US-Mexico Trade Agreement" as a possible new name. :wink:

Per wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 pm Now, the question becomes whether a trilateral pact becomes a bilateral deal — or Lord Trump’s threats pressure Canada to return to the negotiating table and accede to many of the United States’ demands.
HA!

Trudeau and Freeland are groveling at Lord Trump's feet at this very moment...

Finally, I'm sure labour unions are thinking of the big picture and would say you are wrong about dat dere.

You are entitled to your opinions of course, but I worry your brain has been infected with Trump Derangement Syndrome...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:04 pm
Per wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 pm Now, I'm all for strong labour unions, but I do not think they should be allowed to set the agenda for trade agreements. I simply don't think they see the bigger picture. They go for the short term gain, which will damage the economy in the long term.
Finally, I'm sure labour unions are thinking of the big picture and would say you are wrong about dat dere.
So, you are saying that the labour unions have a better grasp of economics than most economists and the American automakers? :shock:

I never thought I'd see the day when the great Doc Strangelove comes out as a protectionist pinko !

:D

And with an affection for the Kremlin to boot. :lol:

Yup. The world has gone crazy. :drink:

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Dangerous days in deed.

Looks like Canada is poised to become collateral damage in the US vs China trade war.
China-US feud threatens Canada as Huawei executive due in court
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -relations

Frankly, I can't grasp why Canada would bend to Trump's wishes and have her arrested.
Sure, details have not been made public, so there may be something of substance there, but from what is being said, there is talk of "Huawei violating US sanctions against Iran".

But seriously, why should a Chinese company be bound by US sanctions against a third party country?

A Chinese citizen on US soil must obey US laws, but outside the US those laws should have no jurisdiction over non-US citizens.
That's my two cents.

It just does not make sense. :|
Last edited by Per on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

It’s a partnership between Canada and USA, goes both ways.

Plus if the accusations are true then it is a good thing, no?