Just Not ready

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:30 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:22 pm I left Burnaby in like 99 or something because I didn't think spending 300k on a home was realistic...I bought a nice place in Osoyoos for 156k across from the lake.

I'd be retireded rolling in ridiculously overpriced Benz's like Donny if I could've stomached staying with the first exwife. My sausage led me down the wrong path
You should check prices in Osoyoos now!

If would've stayed in the market or even invested in more real estate you'd definitely be rollin in a donny Benz. That's not going to change, hop back on. And I'll be encouraging our kids to invest the same way.
Ya I've kicked my own ass numerous times over it believe me.

I was close to moving to Topperville but then even there has gone crazy for prices. I'm not gonna swap a ponderosa ranch for a 45x90 lot and have Topper looking over the fence at me all day
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:35 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:22 pm I left Burnaby in like 99 or something because I didn't think spending 300k on a home was realistic...I bought a nice place in Osoyoos for 156k across from the lake.

I'd be retireded rolling in ridiculously overpriced Benz's like Donny if I could've stomached staying with the first exwife. My sausage led me down the wrong path

If would've stayed in the market or even invested in more real estate you'd definitely be rollin in a donny Benz. That's not going to change, hop back on. And I'll be encouraging our kids to invest the same way.

I was close to moving to Topperville but then even there has gone crazy for prices. I'm not gonna swap a ponderosa ranch for a 45x90 lot and have Topper looking over the fence at me all day
I'm looking that way these days. Has to be some acreage, near lakes, golf, rec.

Kootenays - Christina Lake is nice, Kootenay lake, heading up to the Invermere area soon to check out locales as well.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Just owning land can be interesting too...

I have 174 ha of forest up in Lappland, halfway between the coast and Norway. But I also have a little patch of forest outside of Umeå, where I grow up. Just 21 ha, and it's bordering on a nature reserve, which can complicate logging and stuff, but it is also just 6 km from the city centre.

Now the city has decided to develop a new neighbourhood right next door. 400 single family homes and 600 apartments. The area will house roughly 2500 people, there will be daycare facilities, convenience stores and the city buses will go right through it, turning around in the already existent village of Skravelsjö (Cairn Lake), which doesn't have any bus service today. :o

The development will be within the red circle. See the rural road to the left of it? at the northern tip of the village, just after the last house, there is a thin slice of forest cutting through the farmland. That is where my patch begins, it's like an index finger stretching out from the bulk of it, which is outside of the picture. My land crosses the road, but is only as wide as the wooded area to the left of the road. Then outside the picture, once it crosses a little creek it gets roughly five times as wide.

Anyway, I'll probably keep the bulk of it, but I'm starting to think the index finger part that touches the village could become pretty interesting to divide into parcels of land that could be sold off to people interested in building a new house on the outskirts of the new neighbourhood.

To the right of the circle is Röbäck (Red Creek), which was a village when I grew up but now is more of a suburb. There are houses all the way into the city, it's no longer disconnected. The new neighbourhood will be called Röbäcksliden (Red Creek Slope) and will fill out th eempty area between Röbäck and Skravelsjö, converting Skravelsjö as well to more of a neighbourhood or suburb of the city.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:38 am

Kootenays - Christina Lake is nice, Kootenay lake, heading up to the Invermere area soon to check out locales as well.
Invermere is too close to Calgary and all those fuckwits. They flood in there like rats
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:42 am
Invermere is too close to Calgary and all those fuckwits. They flood in there like rats
Exactly why it could be a good place to invest, with AB in the upswing money will be spent.

Buy a ton of land and as it develops sell.

Then build with the equity!

Lots of options.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Also like the Shuswaps!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:50 am
Topper wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:40 am
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:03 am The vaccines are just a scheme to control population size, so nothing to worry about.
I've said before that Greens should have been all over the pandemic running it's natural course without human interference to give them the population reduction they strive for.
The population reduction from covid running its natural course is negligible as far as the planet is concerned.
Yeah, like 1% of those infected, and most of those elderly.

But life expectency in Sweden dropped by a year in 2020, so it wasn't completely invisible in the stats.
Then it bounced back in 2021.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Basically, my forest in Skravelsjö looks like this:

But sideways.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I'm not buying your finger land Per!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:42 am
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:38 am

Christina Lake is full of albertans in the summer

Values are still good in our area. Surprisingly, my assessed value only went up 6% and my 1/2 acre 3,000sqft 25 yr old house and 500sq foot shop are still a hair under $500K. I can't figure it out. My neighbours place went up 15% in assessed value.

I really like Nakusp, but you are prisoner of the ferry.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:09 pm I really like Nakusp, but you are prisoner of the ferry.
Was looking there as well, but yeah that ferry.

Little north in Shelter Bay as well. But again access!

Albertans are everywhere in the interior in the summer. The Okanagan is no different!
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I grew up in Creston, and spent many summers of my youth on Kootenay Lake. I love the area. A friend of mine is in the process of building a log cabin out there. I haven't been there in many years, but I remember the area as fairly remote. I'm sure it has built up a lot since then.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BCExpat wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:14 pm I grew up in Creston, and spent many summers of my youth on Kootenay Lake. I love the area. A friend of mine is in the process of building a log cabin out there. I haven't been there in many years, but I remember the area as fairly remote. I'm sure it has built up a lot since then.
Actually it hasn't built up much at all. Population is roughly the same as it was when my family moved there in 1993. There are some newer homes being built, but nothing remotely like the neighborhoods and subdivisions that have sprung up in the Invermere area. This leaves the valley still being a sleepy little jewel in the East Kootenays.

Creston is slowly being discovered, however due to it's lack of several amenities, most notably an airport, it gets passed over by many because it is almost 2 hours further away from Calgary than Invermere and Fernie are. When we sold and bought in 2019 we considered moving back there, but for those reasons we didn't.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:23 am How do British Columbians feel about a basic house costing over a million dollars in cow poop Chilliwack...? Or the brokenagan?

Its not sustainable. How do you all think your children will enter the housing markets? Hint...they wont be unless you sell

There will be a reckoning folks...I'd diversify out of real estate if I was some of y'all
There won’t be any reckoning. You break the market, 50 % of the people have to walk away. There will be a flattening but they can’t jack up the rates.

You remind me of those miserable old pricks that used to say the CPP won’t exist in the future. How’s that gone for those old dinks?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”