Affordable housing/living

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Affordable housing/living

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:21 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:57 pm Is that a normal thing these days Dude?

Wouldn't it be wiser tear down/rebuild?
Well the square foot price to build isn't what it used to be, especially in Vancouver where hearing its $275 a square for a basic mid range finishings home to $400 a square for high end. So if he built new, lots down there are skinny - 33' footers even less. 33' foot lot new builds are around 3,000 sq ft homes so do the math. Taxes and insurancexcxnd permit costs civil work is more on new builds but renovations are very expensive, especially to older homes. It's a tough decision. If your reno quotes are coining in around $600,000!- $700,000 then you should tear down. That area everyone' is doing Laneway homes which cost around $250,000 to $300,000 yup build. The beauty in Vancouver is they allow you to have lanehome and a basement suite, so you get two legal mortgage helpers.
I read that laneway homes usually cost twice as much & take twice as long to build than the original quote, thanks to a variety of factors, plus the dedicated sewer/electrical etc the city has to do sometimes, unless they allow the laneway home to share the sewer pipes infrastructure.

But yeah Knight street seems to be poppin lately with new builds.

Duplex's is the new wave these days & townhomes, they will take over a lot of the shitty old detached houses in Vancouver eventually.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Sold my house in Arizona heading home tomorrow with all our shit.

Be in Victoria for a year while we look for something we can afford on the island

26 ft U-Haul towing a car on a trailer sounds fun kids
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rats coming back to BC! :thumbs:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:48 pm Sold my house in Arizona heading home tomorrow with all our shit.

Be in Victoria for a year while we look for something we can afford on the island

26 ft U-Haul towing a car on a trailer sounds fun kids
Good luck with your move, Rats - we took four those out from Vegas.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

What became of the burned out Chilcotin ranch
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Daughter retired we grabbed a brain haven’t been back🏌️
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Alright if Rats is coming back so am I.

So i am selling this farm this spring and moving back to the land of MSP, PST and transfer tax. I'm looking at small acreages around Cranbrook as I will be working there.

Anyone there? What areas suck and where are the deals. I want a private piece without looky loo neighbours as i detest small talk and other people.

I also dont want to be stuffed up on the west side of the valley and have those shadowy evenings.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm not an interior dude, UDL some I am no good in helping ya. I think of the interior as the land of drunk, inbreeding weirdo's, huffing scotch guard when broke on cash.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 am I also dont want to be stuffed up on the west side of the valley and have those shadowy evenings.
Oh you're gonna have some "shadowy evenings" out there in woodbooger country Danny.

____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 am Alright if Rats is coming back so am I.

So i am selling this farm this spring and moving back to the land of MSP, PST and transfer tax. I'm looking at small acreages around Cranbrook as I will be working there.

Anyone there? What areas suck and where are the deals. I want a private piece without looky loo neighbours as i detest small talk and other people.

I also dont want to be stuffed up on the west side of the valley and have those shadowy evenings.
If you don’t mind being 15 minutes outside of town look at the Wasa Lake area.

Avoid anything in town on the west side of the tracks....not that you’ll find much in the way of acreages there anyhow.

Lemme know if you want the names of the more reliable real estate guys to chat with.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I dont mind 15 minutes at all...keeps the scotch guard huffers away.
I have noticed some deals around there(wasa lk) already on mls but thought it was farther than 15. Thats good if its so close. 15 is damn good.

Doc what are these woodboogers? Is that your patients' little trip again? The mini squatches?

Mëds once I sell i think we will likely rent and take our time to shop. I will hit u up for a name at that point. Did u live there?
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

At least you'll get a fast electric charger out there in the boonies for your electric vehicles, PHEV etc. :mrgreen:

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

There is a silly campaign to electrify Hwy 3

I know someone who bought a used Volt, so no idea on battery life expectancy. he ca make it 1.5 hrs to Osoyoos, spend 4 hrs recharging and then drive home again.

LOL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

This ridiculous speculation tax has got me furious. I have a place on Protection Island(Nanaimo district) that I may have to sell as there is no way I could rent it year round, even if I wanted to.

WTF!?!?!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

BladesofSteel wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:44 pm This ridiculous speculation tax has got me furious. I have a place on Protection Island(Nanaimo district) that I may have to sell as there is no way I could rent it year round, even if I wanted to.

WTF!?!?!
They made some amendments, but I agree its a BS tax. Especially taxing British Columbians investing in BC. Da fuq

Either way, I have some ideas if the cabin is affected!! :wink: