Ok here's the deal with the site: PLEASE READ

If it's in here, it's probably a good idea to read it.

Moderators: Brian CC, Referees

Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Ok...I have pruned the posts...anything not posted in for 200 days was punted.

As mentioned earlier I also setup a new forum using the SMF (Simple Machines Forum) software, and I ahve to say I like the features it has especially from an admin standpoint.

I would like you guys to play with it a bit and tell me what you think. Don't worry about the design, it's just a temporary thing. I am more concerned what you think of the functionality of the board.

Check it out at http://www.canuckscorner.com/ccforums/index.php

All current users should have been imported and posts as of last night.

I am still not sold on this VPS stuff, I have a friend with a similar site to this so I am going to be asking his opinion as well.
nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

Hey Brian,

I checked out the new forum and it seems fine to me...I guess we've all been a little bit spoiled with this site and how good the design is, but like you said it's just temporary...the functionality seems perfectly fine to me and if it ends up being easier for you then great...

The one thing I do like about this site as opposed to others (other than the obvious fact that the posters are much better here) is the format of the front page...I personally like how the most recently started thread from any forum starts up on top and if you want to actually see the most recent posts you have it in a separate box.

Anyway, these are just minor cosmetic things, and you run the best Canucks site on the web...so thanks for that...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The site seems better already - no problems so far!

the other software works similar to this, so I don't foresee any issues with changing over to it.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Site seems quicker (today - Monday March 26th) First time in awhile I've been in because of the delays.

The "new format" is the same as those of us from offthepost.net are used to. It seems to function fine.

tCL & Jyrki , also at otp may have some info from a tecky side.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Alot quicker today ...

Grizz
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

offthepost.net has switched over to smf from php for many moons now... With no problems.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Since editing the front page of the site the site seems to be running very quickly. Maybe that was the problem, as that front page was pulling in a lot of queries from the boards.

I'm going to give it a few more days, then if it stays this way I will have to look at redoing the front page somehow to keep it fresh...
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

only issue I have with the front page is that there doesn't seem to be a place to login? Or maybe i'm just blind...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

maybe you can start adding features back to the front page and see how it stands up - maybe some things like 'most recent posts' will still be ok.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Ok, I think it's clear the front page was wreaking havoc on the database queries. This is good news in the fact it looks like this host is still adequate enough to host the site, and no major move is needed.

What is needed is a redesign. There is another portal option I am going to start playing with to see if that works. I am going to hold off switching the forum software until the off-season, but I do think I will switch, as it has some nice features this board does not.

Anyway, I hope everyone is noticing a big improvement on the boards, and I thank you for your patience. ;)
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

I was just going to say that yes it has been better the last few days then bingo, today it's back to having problems; although not as bad as before. :crazy:
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

huh? What problems? I've been checking it regularly for the last three days and it's been really quick.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

I've experienced a few issues as well. Accessing the front page has been quick as has getting to the forum selection page but I've had some long waits and time outs trying to get into specific forums. Overall it's a huge improvement though! :D
R.I.P. Luc.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Good thing the site is loading faster. I still haven't been able to sell a pair of my leather pants to help fund the system updgrade for CC. Anyone interested in a pair of slightly-used black leather pants, (waist 42 inches) go to:

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/clo/297473113.html

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

I tried to buy them but the vendor would not gauratee that the were game worn......
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill