Slow Site Issues...

If it's in here, it's probably a good idea to read it.

Moderators: Brian CC, Referees

JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

There are some pretty big sites hosted on non dedicated servers, by the sounds of it, it's just the particular server you're on and sharing that is probably being pounded by something else during the day or has technical glitches.

Rather than looking for an expensive dedicated server you might want to go the middle ground and *not* look at the super cheap hosts but instead try to find a more local Vancouver host that is maybe a bit pricier but has more personalized service and may even throw in a deal for a small credit on the front page "host provided in part by blah blah blah" (which is something a local Vancouver host might be very interested in considering the geography of the visitors for this particular site if you can show them the number of visitors you get historically).

Godaddy and the big hosts are cheap but you are nothing more to them than one of millions of customers and the actual server could be anywhere in North America, being on a local Vancouver host gives the visitors a faster connection (less network hops) and you will get more personal and responsive service.

There are dozens if not hundreds of local hosts, I would shop around and see what kind of a deal you can get for partial sponsorship. I can't see a sales guy not liking the idea and giving you *some* kind of break on the costs, plus if their name is on it then it's even more incentive for them to keep you up and running. :)
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

That pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I am starting to experiement with a few things here, well see how they work.

But yes I will explore and see what type of deal I can get from a local company.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Hopefully things will work out ... I haven't even really been able to log on without it timing out or crashing on me.

Grizz
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

This weekend I am going to set up a new board and a new front page and see if that solves anything. This is starting to piss me off...

The site is going to pick up in the coming weeks with the playoffs upon us. We can't have this stuff going on constantly....

Again, my apologies.... :evil:
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

I'm sure I speak for a lot of posters and followers of this site. This issue is FRUSTRATING but understandable. I'm sure you're working on a solution and hopefully it will be in time for the additional playoff volume this site will have. This problem reflects poorly upon the server but NOT upon Brian or the quality of this site.
R.I.P. Luc.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Thanks, I have started on an overhaul. I am not sure what the outcome will be but I am going to switch to a new forum software as well called Simple Machines Forum. I have wanted to do this for a while so may as well make it now.

I hope to be able to convert all the posts and users into the new forum. Too mimimize the import of data I am going to purge all inactive users and some old posts from the database.

This couldn't happen at a worse time, but some sort of venue will be available for you to post in. When I am done, hopefully we can all say it was worth it.

I'll be getting this up by the end of the weekend. Please be patient as some features of the site will be effected during all the upgrades and redesign. Some features may disappear. The blogs and such will remain unchanged at this time.

Wish me luck. And Matty if you could handle the wallpaper duty again, that would be awesome and most appreciated. :D
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

May the force be with you!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Brian, just wanted to say that your work is appreciated. Slow or not this is the only site /posting board that I follow regularly. Hope that you can somehow find an effective and relatively quick solution. Good Luck.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Thanks Brian.

Haven't been able to get in much lately, but today seems better.

Looking forward to our usual "crispy" service. :lol:
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I think everyone is frustrated but you do have our support Brian ... we understand and are all hangin' in there with you. I am sure things will be even better once we get through this !!

Grizz