Rumour: Salo to possibly be traded

Trade rumours from around the league. Think you have a source? Stand behind your rumours? You better, or don't post in here!

Moderator: Referees

Luongo19

Rumour: Salo to possibly be traded

Post by Luongo19 »

I heard from ppl on a different forum that the canucks might trade Sami Salo cuz of his high salary and he is a free agent at the end of the season. If the canucks were to trade Salo, which team should we trade him to and who should we get in return?
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Re: Rumour: Salo to possibly be traded

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Luongo19 wrote:I heard from ppl on a different forum that the canucks might trade Sami Salo cuz of his high salary and he is a free agent at the end of the season. If the canucks were to trade Salo, which team should we trade him to and who should we get in return?
I can see a team like Carolina or even Buffalo trying to get him at the trade deadline. Carolina has a habit of picking up soon-to-be free agents at the trade deadline and (Recchi/Weight last year) may do it again in their bid to win the Cup again.

I believe the Canucks should do it. Salo is a great defenseman, but he may be too expensive for the Canucks next season. The Canucks could pick up some good young players (Carolina and Buffalo both have great depth in their organizations).

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

DavidPratt_ wrote:
Luongo19 wrote:I heard from ppl on a different forum that the canucks might trade Sami Salo cuz of his high salary and he is a free agent at the end of the season. If the canucks were to trade Salo, which team should we trade him to and who should we get in return?
I can see a team like Carolina or even Buffalo trying to get him at the trade deadline. Carolina has a habit of picking up soon-to-be free agents at the trade deadline and (Recchi/Weight last year) may do it again in their bid to win the Cup again.

I believe the Canucks should do it. Salo is a great defenseman, but he may be too expensive for the Canucks next season. The Canucks could pick up some good young players (Carolina and Buffalo both have great depth in their organizations).

dp
Bang on.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Linden Is God wrote:Bang on.
I just laugh when I think back to last season when Dave Nonis was desperate to make the playoffs and dealt up multiple second and third-rounders to pick up Keith Carney, Eric Weinrich, Sean Brown and Mikka Noronen. Wonder where any of those guys are?

I don't think the Canucks should go for draft picks though. Losing all those second and third-rounders could have meant an Alexander Edler. It could also mean a Nathan Smith. I'd rather see the Canucks pick up some young, inexpensive talent to add more depth to the team. And you know what? The Canucks can pick up Salo anyways when he becomes a free agent in the off-season. St.Louis picked up Doug Weight in the off-season after trading him to Carolina at the trade deadline last year.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

DavidPratt_ wrote:
I just laugh when I think back to last season when Dave Nonis was desperate to make the playoffs and dealt up multiple second and third-rounders to pick up Keith Carney, Eric Weinrich, Sean Brown and Mikka Noronen. Wonder where any of those guys are?

I don't think the Canucks should go for draft picks though. Losing all those second and third-rounders could have meant an Alexander Edler. It could also mean a Nathan Smith. I'd rather see the Canucks pick up some young, inexpensive talent to add more depth to the team. And you know what? The Canucks can pick up Salo anyways when he becomes a free agent in the off-season. St.Louis picked up Doug Weight in the off-season after trading him to Carolina at the trade deadline last year.

dp
In all fairness, Noronen was a good trade. Wasn't it for a 4th rounder? Nonis could not have foreseen himself getting Luongo and Nronen not being happy with that. But picking up the other guys turned out to be a waste.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

Linden Is God wrote:
DavidPratt_ wrote:

dp
In all fairness, Noronen was a good trade. Wasn't it for a 4th rounder? Nonis could not have foreseen himself getting Luongo and Nronen not being happy with that. But picking up the other guys turned out to be a waste.
Actually I believe it was a 2nd rounder. Let's face it: none of the trades at the deadline last year turned out to be good; I do applaud Nonis, however, for making a run at it.

As far as Salo goes, I think he's somewhat expendable at the right price. It all depends on what we get in return. I'd be willing to go as low as a 2nd rounder or good forward prospect.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

But see if Noronen had stayed, don't you think the Canucks would be in a better position. He was a decent goalie and in no way could Nonis have foreseen him bolting to Russia.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

I can't see the Canucks trading him if we're in the playoff hunt. Why would we want to make our team weaker? This team is fully capable of going on a long playoff run. The last 3 years, the 6th, 7th, and 8th seeds have gone onto the Stanley Cup Finals. Remember that.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

randymeeks wrote:I can't see the Canucks trading him if we're in the playoff hunt. Why would we want to make our team weaker? This team is fully capable of going on a long playoff run. The last 3 years, the 6th, 7th, and 8th seeds have gone onto the Stanley Cup Finals. Remember that.
Fair enough, but if the right deal is out there.... and who knows Salo could slip and be out for long stretches as he's been prone to do. I'd say get something while we can, IF the deal is right.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Badfish wrote:
randymeeks wrote:I can't see the Canucks trading him if we're in the playoff hunt. Why would we want to make our team weaker? This team is fully capable of going on a long playoff run. The last 3 years, the 6th, 7th, and 8th seeds have gone onto the Stanley Cup Finals. Remember that.
Fair enough, but if the right deal is out there.... and who knows Salo could slip and be out for long stretches as he's been prone to do. I'd say get something while we can, IF the deal is right.
This deal may be done if Bieksa keeps playing the way he has and if Edler can step it up and play consistently enough to earn AV's trust on a nightly basis. If that happens, why not trade Salo to shore up some weaknesses the Canucks may have come the deadline? In essence, they may be able to 'buy' somebody they need now with Salo instead of 'selling' him for future prospects. Just because we're still in the playoff hunt doesn't mean we can't trade Salo to fill a hole.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

For the right price, I'd trade anybody, but if we're in the playoff hunt, then the "right price" would be a "high price" for me, no way a 2nd rounder would do it, at least need a promising/cheap forward and/or defenseman and/or pick in there somewhere. Warm body, either a forward to shore up scoring or a defenseman to off-set the loss of Salo, and pick/prospect would be my price.

If we're out of the playoffs, then a couple picks/prospects would be it.
Mark
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Never underestimate the desire of a GM who thinks he has a chance to win it all. If Salo goes we had better be out of it as he delivers, not just quality D time, but, is a powerful force from the point. For us to give that up we require two good prospects, one up front and a D as a replcement. You can never have enough defencemen in the playoffs. These guys had better be up and comers not some lame ass projects.
Deej

Post by Deej »

Salo will probably be traded.

Nonis has made 3 deals with Buffalo, has gotten good value each time. Buffalo needs help with thier special teams, and Salo is just the kind of guy to do it. Expect them to pull out all of the stops to try and win it all this year.

My prediction is Salo to Buffalo for Novotny

There may be picks or another prospect involved

Its strange that the deadline is actually almost here, that will take some getting used to :)
Mozy

Post by Mozy »

where did noronen end up?

i think dumping salo would be a bad idea. lets face it our Defence is not at all deep and with mitchel out for half the games so far, you cant leave Ohlund with all the work. Bieksa's coming along but we really cant afford to lose a defencemen. dont keep him at the end of the summer if you dont want, but dont get rid of him now.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

That's a tough one...

I was all for trading Salo earlier in the season, but I wasn't expecting the Nucks to be in the race this late in the season...

I don't think the Nucks or any team should be carrying 3 X $3.5 million or greater blue liners, especially when you are paying the keeper over $6.0, and Salo will surely demand a new contract greater than what Mitchell got....

And the Nucks only realistic chance of making it past the second round would be if magic in a bottle falls from the skies and lands in Vancouver this year ...

I could see the Nucks hanging onto Salo if they can move Naslund because even if they can't resign him their payroll cost will have been substantially reduced and they can be a higher end shopper this UFA off season...

With reports out of Florida that Horton is upset, and with Bertuzzi set to become a UFA, if I am allowed to dream for a minute, a Naslund for Horton deal gets done and Bertuzzi agrees to resign in Florida to play with his best friend for at least one more season...

It might allow the Luongo deal to become a win win for both sides...

If Nonis can swing a deal like that then I can see him hanging onto Salo and with the money he has saved from moving Naslund and the Kesler injury, he can afford to make a deadline deal for a higher end rental type player....

Take care...