Should/Could we trade for Doan?

Trade rumours from around the league. Think you have a source? Stand behind your rumours? You better, or don't post in here!

Moderator: Referees

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Should/Could we trade for Doan?

Post by Canuck-One »

I was reading Inside Hockey and they seem to think we should go after Shane Doan. I thought hmmm... that's a great idea but what would it take to get him. Well if rumours are correct they have asked about Morrison in the past, yet Vancouver would still need a center in return. Okay then if they throw in Comrie and we give them Cooke and either Bulis or Salo it balances out the cap. Any thoughts?
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Re: Should/Could we trade for Doan?

Post by levelheaded »

HappyCanuck wrote:I was reading Inside Hockey and they seem to think we should go after Shane Doan. I thought hmmm... that's a great idea but what would it take to get him. Well if rumours are correct they have asked about Morrison in the past, yet Vancouver would still need a center in return. Okay then if they throw in Comrie and we give them Cooke and either Bulis or Salo it balances out the cap. Any thoughts?
That really doesn't make sense for either team. Phoenix is expected to take on 2 large salaries for horribly underpreforming players for 2 players who are playing okay (if not brilliantly) They could get a much better deal at the deadline. As for us, we lose valuable depth for 2 players who will UFAs at the end of the year. I think both teams could do better elsewhere.
ronflynn39

Post by ronflynn39 »

phoenix isn't gonna get rid of doan. they are on fire as of late. if they are close to making the playoffs he wont go newhere.
Luongo19

Post by Luongo19 »

agree they are doin gd and plus... i don't think the canucks will make a big trade right now for someone unless they start to lose.... but they could trade salo for someone. Wat do u guys think? :|
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Doan makes too much...and we're too thin as it is to give up multiple players to make up for his salary. I don't think another player making more than 3 million is what this team needs. What it really needs is some cheaper players to play above their pay, something nearly impossible to get through a trade.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Although anything is possible (i.e. Oilers/Smyth), I highly doubt Doan will be dealt from the Coyotes any time soon (or ever).

If we're thinking Phoenix however, I wouldn't mind seeing Ed Jovanovski come back here (in exchange for Naslund). Maybe not a 1 for 1 straight trade, but something to this effect.

-Canucks get added muscle, added grit, more depth on defense, and a guy who can help quarterback our PP. Jovanovski, a 31 year old defenseman, is far more in his "prime" (position considering) than the 34 year old Naslund. Jovanovski, like Naslund, is also a great leader and team guy. Jovo however, is a more VOCAL and OUTSPOKEN guy (not necessarily better, but....).

If Naslund goes to Phoenix, this also gives Gretzky the chance to sign Bertuzzi. Gretzky has always been a huge fan of Bertuzzi, and Bertuzzi might get intrigued to play wherever Naslund goes. Naslund and Doan could be a decent combo.

Furthermore, considering Jovanovski and Willie Mitchell's respective strengths and weaknesses, they might be a PERFECT match for one another. In one form or another, every single quality that you'd want in a defenseman would be brought to the table by the pairing of these two.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Farhan Lalji wrote:If we're thinking Phoenix however, I wouldn't mind seeing Ed Jovanovski come back here (in exchange for Naslund). Maybe not a 1 for 1 straight trade, but something to this effect.
Two things: Firstly, he was one of the problems with the dressing room last year, so I'm hesitant to bring anyone like that back. (same goes for Carter and Bertuzzi) Secondly, he makes $6.5 mill for the next 4 years. That is insane money for an injury prone defenseman. Although he is good at moving the puck, he is too much of a liability injury wise. There are much cheaper alternatives out there. Anyways, Mitchell is our outspoken leader now, no need to fix something that isn't broken.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

levelheaded wrote:
Two things: Firstly, he was one of the problems with the dressing room last year, so I'm hesitant to bring anyone like that back. .[/quote]

Was Jovanovski really a "problem" in the dressing room last year? From what I heard, he was one of the lockerroom leaders. Where did you hear this from?
topcornermax
AHL Prospect

Post by topcornermax »

I think it would be to hard to get Doan as he is all that they have down there. would love to see it happen though.
jackalman
CC Veteran

Post by jackalman »

topcornermax wrote:I think it would be to hard to get Doan as he is all that they have down there. would love to see it happen though.
Welcome to Canucks Corner. Just thought you could use a heads up. You may want to note the date of the last post in the thread you are posting in. That date is at the top of the post beside the posters name, :D
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

What's was old is new again.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

LOL @ Jovo being a dressing room cancer.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”