Anyone heard of this rumor yet???

Trade rumours from around the league. Think you have a source? Stand behind your rumours? You better, or don't post in here!

Moderator: Referees

littlebert
AHL Prospect

Anyone heard of this rumor yet???

Post by littlebert »

To Washington: Cooke, King
To Vancouver: Boyd Gordon, Brent Johnson, 2007 4th Round Pick
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

source?
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Why would the Canucks do this trade? They would be getting virtually no return on Cooke. I know the anti-Cooke faction will be happy to see the team part ways with his salary, but Nonis should be able to acquire more than that for him.

(According to sportsnet.ca)
King $450k
Cooke $1.5M

Gordon undisclosed ($901k last season)
Johnson $525k
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

mattola wrote:source?
My thoughts exactly ...

Grizz
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

MinnesotaCanuck wrote:Why would the Canucks do this trade? They would be getting virtually no return on Cooke. I know the anti-Cooke faction will be happy to see the team part ways with his salary, but Nonis should be able to acquire more than that for him.

King $450k
Cooke $1.5M

Johnson $525k
Even this "anti-cooke" part of the faction wouldn't trade an overpaid Matt Cooke for essentially nothing. Unless, the trade made room for a UFA signing that in the end upgraded the team.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I like the looks of Boyd, but I'm wondering if he brings something we already have plenty of (checking, hard working forward who has some but unknown offensive upside). Sure he's a RW'er, but we need a scoring RW'er, and I'd think Cooke fills that role better, heck, King might as well.

If the thinking is going after Johnson, not sure I'd do it, but King for Johnson by itself makes more sense, maybe throw in one of our goaltending prospects but then we'd need one of their prospects in return.
Mark
littlebert
AHL Prospect

Post by littlebert »

MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

tantalum wrote:
MinnesotaCanuck wrote:Why would the Canucks do this trade? They would be getting virtually no return on Cooke. I know the anti-Cooke faction will be happy to see the team part ways with his salary, but Nonis should be able to acquire more than that for him.

King $450k
Cooke $1.5M

Johnson $525k
Even this "anti-cooke" part of the faction wouldn't trade an overpaid Matt Cooke for essentially nothing. Unless, the trade made room for a UFA signing that in the end upgraded the team.
I could see unloading Cooke's salary if it made room for Anson Carter or some comparable scoring RW...but this trade doesn't accomplish that. Unless Gordon took a pay decrease, this trade does not create any cap space. In reality, the net change would be negative:

3rd/4th line RW ... King ( $450k) --> Gordon (~$900k)
2nd line RW ... Cooke ($1.5M) --> free agent ($1M)
backup goaltender ... pick from scrap heap (~$600k) --> Johnson ($525k)
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

I bumped around this site for about three minutes and it looked hokey to me. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in it. One of the past topics discusses how the Sedins could very well be traded to Anaheim for a package of 4-5 players and some draft picks.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

tantalum wrote: Even this "anti-cooke" part of the faction wouldn't trade an overpaid Matt Cooke for essentially nothing. Unless, the trade made room for a UFA signing that in the end upgraded the team.
The question becomes what UFA's are really out there to upgrade to?

I'm not a huge fan or Cooke, however I think he contributes. Last years flukey rash of injuries aside, he's been what he was brought into to be... a solid 3rd line/2nd line kind of guy (who is a bit overpaid IMO).

If he's going to go it's going to have to be for a package that significantly upgrades the team (and that would include other players from the Canucks heading the other way). A pure salary dump wouldn't cut it.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Ahh. Zero credibility right there.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Yep.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
jchockey