Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Rumsfeld wrote: Kunitz on the first line, lol.
LOL is Pascal Dupuis going too?
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Staal-Crosby-Nash
Tavares-Stamkos-Perry
Richards-Toews-Bergeron
Thornton-Getzlaf-Giroux

Pietrangelo-Weber
Keith-Seabrook
Doughty-Subbann

Luongo
Price

(Letang, St. Louis)

I'm probably missing a few key pieces but that's who I'd go with off the top of my head.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

The Brown Knight wrote:Staal-Crosby-Nash
Tavares-Stamkos-Perry
Richards-Toews-Bergeron
Thornton-Getzlaf-Giroux

Pietrangelo-Weber
Keith-Seabrook
Doughty-Subbann

Luongo
Price

(Letang, St. Louis)

I'm probably missing a few key pieces but that's who I'd go with off the top of my head.
This one will be tough to predict. Looking at my line-up, there are a lot of centers that will be playing out of position. Maybe Team Canada wil opt to select players that are more naturally suited to the wing, or have far more experience playing wing (i.e. James Neal, Martin St. Louis, etc.).

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Uncle dans leg wrote:As much as we hate the Bruins they are the closest thing in todays NHL. Honestly now...who wouldn't love to swap teams with them?
"Sure as hell not me," said any true Canucks fan with a spine and some balls.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Rumsfeld wrote: if you're a treasonous asshole that is. I'd rather get fucked in the eye socket than bet against Canada.
I faced this issue 4 years ago, and I face it again today.

There's a good chance that I won't be supporting Team Canada during the Olympics as far as Men's Hockey goes.

In light of the behaviors of many Calgarians, Edmontonians, and Torontonians during the 2011 Cup Finals, I can't in good faith be on the same side as these guys. Not now.........and possibly never.

In 2010 - my beef was with certain players (i.e. Phaneuf, Toews, Seabook, Keith, Getzlaf, Perry, etc.,.......basically, any players that represented teams that were either rivals of the Canucks or had beaten the Canucks in recent playoff memory at the time). I was able to overcome that 'mental obstacle' (if you want to call it that), and that Olympic experience was one of the greatest experienes in my life......as I was at the Gold Medal game.

In 2014 however - I just have a real problem with being on "same side" as Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto. Jonathan Toews also made a comment in 2011, "Anyone but the Canucks winning the cup would be nice." I don't want to support Toews now, and possibly ever.

The Dark Indian Rises
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

The Brown Knight wrote: In 2014 however - I just have a real problem with being on "same side" as Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto. Jonathan Toews also made a comment in 2011, "Anyone but the Canucks winning the cup would be nice." I don't want to support Toews now, and possibly ever.
Jesus, get over it. What an unbelievable crock of shit.

Yeah, because Edmonton and Toronto hate the Canucks (kinda like Canuck fans hate the leaves... go figure) you're going to cheer against the country. At least those cities got behind Luongo when he put on the Team Canada sweater.

You go ahead and cheer for Russia or Kazakstan or Japan or whoever. I find your position cowardly and idiotic.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote: In 2014 however - I just have a real problem with being on "same side" as Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto. Jonathan Toews also made a comment in 2011, "Anyone but the Canucks winning the cup would be nice." I don't want to support Toews now, and possibly ever.
Jesus, get over it. What an unbelievable crock of shit.

Yeah, because Edmonton and Toronto hate the Canucks (kinda like Canuck fans hate the leaves... go figure) you're going to cheer against the country. At least those cities got behind Luongo when he put on the Team Canada sweater.

You go ahead and cheer for Russia or Kazakstan or Japan or whoever. I find your position cowardly and idiotic.

I hated Toews then but he's a rockstar for Canada. CANADA is our team...much more so than some corporate entity that sponsored a private hockey club.

Not to mention how chicken shit the NHL has become these days
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Agreed...get over the individualistic egomaniacal bullshit and pull for the country's team....then go back to hating them..Sheesh
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

rats19 wrote:Agreed...get over the individualistic egomaniacal bullshit and pull for the country's team....then go back to hating them..Sheesh
Exactly. How does most of the league think about Burrows and Kesler? These are the guys you HATE to play against, but LOVE to have on your team. It's professional hockey, FFS. No need to start hating your own country's jersey because of rivalries between city club teams.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Island Knucklehead and rats,

I see where you're coming from.......,but I'm not sure if I can see myself being on the same side as a Calgary Flames fan. Or even an Oilers and leaves fan.

I'll see how things go. 4 years ago, I was having a similar internal battle......and I ultimately chose to support Men's hockey.

Maybe you guys are different, but I just can't get over 2011.......and the way most Albertans and Torontonians acted towards us during those finals. We're all just a bunch of divers, whiners, biters, and rioters to them.......every last one of us. Good honest citizens cheering the Bruins cup celebration at Rogers arena as a show of class? Solid citizens and true fans like my nephew cleaning up the downtown mess the day after the riots?

NONE OF THIS WAS REPORTED.

Less than a year later, LA, who sees what went on, had their social media guy chime when LA took Game 1 from us.

"To everyone in Canada outside of Vancouver.........you're welcome."

So who knows right? Maybe if I see the Sedin twins or Kesler hoisting the gold medal, maybe I too can say, "To everyone in Canada outside of Vancouver...........go fuck yourselves."

And yes - as bad as this may sound, I was happy when Calgary got flooded......not because I wanted to see anyone be damaged long term, but because I wanted to kick them as hard I could when they were down just as the mass majority of them had done to us. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

The Dark Indian Rises
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

The Brown Knight wrote: Maybe you guys are different, but I just can't get over 2011.......and the way most Albertans and Torontonians acted towards us during those finals. We're all just a bunch of divers, whiners, biters, and rioters to them.......every last one of us. Good honest citizens cheering the Bruins cup celebration at Rogers arena as a show of class? Solid citizens and true fans like my nephew cleaning up the downtown mess the day after the riots?

NONE OF THIS WAS REPORTED.

Less than a year later, LA, who sees what went on, had their social media guy chime when LA took Game 1 from us.

"To everyone in Canada outside of Vancouver.........you're welcome."

So who knows right? Maybe if I see the Sedin twins or Kesler hoisting the gold medal, maybe I too can say, "To everyone in Canada outside of Vancouver...........go fuck yourselves."

And yes - as bad as this may sound, I was happy when Calgary got flooded......not because I wanted to see anyone be damaged long term, but because I wanted to kick them as hard I could when they were down just as the mass majority of them had done to us. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.
You sound like a battered woman. Could you possibly be a bigger victim? FFS, GET OVER IT. If I saw Toronto in the Cup Final, I would cheer against them, because I don't like them. Against Chicago, I always hoped for a repeat of his Bambi Legs after Willie creamed him coming out of the penalty box. But that's just the jersey he wears and a city I hate. Once they throw on the Team Canada, we're all Canucks :mex:
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Island Nucklehead wrote:You sound like a battered woman. Could you possibly be a bigger victim? FFS, GET OVER IT. If I saw Toronto in the Cup Final, I would cheer against them, because I don't like them. Against Chicago, I always hoped for a repeat of his Bambi Legs after Willie creamed him coming out of the penalty box. But that's just the jersey he wears and a city I hate. Once they throw on the Team Canada, we're all Canucks :mex:
Fair enough. I get what you're saying.

It's just a little difficult to have the wisdom of a Socrates when you're really pissed off about a particular situation.

I haven't ruled anything out as of yet. Like I said - I felt pretty similar 4 years ago and then I ended up cheering Team Canada big time. I was at the Gold Medal game and Crosby's gold winning goal is my second favorite sporting memory of all-time (Carter's homer in 93' ranks as my first............which as it relates to this thread, is quite ironic since I have always cheered the Blue Jays due to them being Canadian as opposed to Torontonian).

.....I'll see how things go.

The Dark Indian Rises
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

This is the sporting equivalent to war. When you are in the trenches you got each others back...PERIOD
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Does anyone know roughly when Team Canada will be announcing their roster?

I thought I heard that Team USA will be announcing theirs on New Years Day...so I assume Canada would announce sometime around then as well...
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

It took me a long time to decide, and be definitive for sure, but I have decided that I will infact, support Team Canada and Men's Hockey for this coming Olympics.

The Dark Indian Rises