Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Rumsfeld wrote: It's a damn good thing we look so much better than everyone else at forward and defense, because I've never seen a best-on-best tournament where mighty Canada looked so weak in goal.
If we win, it will be because of our "D". If we play to our potential, teams will be lucky to get more than 20 shots against us.

Mobile D, big forwards. Keep it against the walls. Grind out the goals. Play like the LA Kings circa 2012 and we'll be alright. Nobody can match our physicality. 2 lines built for speed, 2 lines built to punish, everyone needs to be able to skate on the big ice.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

CIGARS??

THAT'S SICK!! :evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Yeah I have to agree IN, our defense is our greatest asset. It will be pretty sweet to see Stamkos in a Canada jersey as well.

Put him on the PP with Crosby, Tavares, Weber and Subban.... :P

It also helps that we have such an easy group... seems pretty unlikely we don't get a QF bye this time around. Shit won't get real until the semis.

REALLY hope we get to smash the Swedes as well. Those yellowbellied wankers managed to avoid us in Vancouver and I haven't forgotten that prelim game in 2006.

Sweden is boring as fuck but they're the only hockey power I can think of who we haven't played in a big game in the last decade or so. I'd like to get them in the semis while the Yanks take on the Russkies... setting up a Russia/Canada gold medal game in the motherland.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: REALLY hope we get to smash the Swedes as well. Those yellowbellied wankers managed to avoid us in Vancouver and I haven't forgotten that prelim game in 2006.
Yeah, hopefully Duncan Keith knocks a Sedin or two outta action and into the hospital amirite? :drink:

I TAKE IT BACK!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: REALLY hope we get to smash the Swedes as well. Those yellowbellied wankers managed to avoid us in Vancouver and I haven't forgotten that prelim game in 2006.
Yeah, hopefully Duncan Keith knocks a Sedin or two outta action and into the hospital amirite? :drink:

I TAKE IT BACK!!
:lol:

Hopefully the twins' pathetic skating will keep them so far behind the play on the big ice that they don't run into the Canadian meatgrinder every shift.... :crazy:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Rumsfeld wrote: setting up a Russia/Canada gold medal game in the motherland.
Oh yes....please!
If you need air...call it in
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: setting up a Russia/Canada gold medal game in the motherland.
Oh yes....please!
It's gonna be sweet Danny.

Although these days we can actually beat those fuckers on the ice instead of burying them in the trenches...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Sadly the days of ankle whacking are nearly gone. As much as we hate the Bruins they are the closest thing in todays NHL. Honestly now...who wouldn't love to swap teams with them?

Beating the Euro teams is a hell of alot harder on the big ice though. Nagano and Turin were proof positive to this.

I'd say as good as Canada is, they may not even be the favorites. I'd say we are about even chances with Sweden, Russia and the yanks are only a step behind...to be totally honest now 8-)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Sadly the days of ankle whacking are nearly gone. As much as we hate the Bruins they are the closest thing in todays NHL. Honestly now...who wouldn't love to swap teams with them?

Beating the Euro teams is a hell of alot harder on the big ice though. Nagano and Turin were proof positive to this.

I'd say as good as Canada is, they may not even be the favorites. I'd say we are about even chances with Sweden, Russia and the yanks are only a step behind...to be totally honest now 8-)
The betting odds right now go: Russia: favourite, then Canada, Sweden, USA.

Can't believe Vegas thinks the Russkies are the faves because of home ice. I'm heading over to my betting site right now to throw down on Canada.

USA's not a bad bet either at over 6 to 1... if you're a treasonous asshole that is. I'd rather get fucked in the eye socket than bet against Canada.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Rumsfeld wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Sadly the days of ankle whacking are nearly gone. As much as we hate the Bruins they are the closest thing in todays NHL. Honestly now...who wouldn't love to swap teams with them?

The betting odds right now go: Russia: favourite, then Canada, Sweden, USA.

Can't believe Vegas thinks the Russkies are the faves because of home ice. I'm heading over to my betting site right now to throw down on Canada.

USA's not a bad bet either at over 6 to 1... if you're a treasonous asshole that is. I'd rather get fucked in the eye socket than bet against Canada.
Your love for the halflings leaf has clouded your vision Rums-dalph
I'm not betting against. I'm just recognizing a worthy adversary.

It may take an ankle whack or 2 to win it...thats all

And leave my other eye alone!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Not sure why so many peeople think Lucic is going to make this team... on the big ice and with international refs? A good chunk of the guy's effectiveness comes after the whistles.

I guess he'd be useful in front of the net, but so would other guys. Unless he is on fire the first half of next season I'm saying not a chance.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Rumsfeld wrote:Not sure why so many peeople think Lucic is going to make this team... on the big ice and with international refs? A good chunk of the guy's effectiveness comes after the whistles.

I guess he'd be useful in front of the net, but so would other guys. Unless he is on fire the first half of next season I'm saying not a chance.
Can he do a decent Phil Esposito impersonation?
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

ukcanuck wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Not sure why so many peeople think Lucic is going to make this team... on the big ice and with international refs? A good chunk of the guy's effectiveness comes after the whistles.

Can he do a decent Phil Esposito impersonation?
Call it a hunch.... yes. ;)
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Strangelove wrote:
I TAKE IT BACK!!
Fuck take it back
Of course we could put in Bobby Clarke as "advisor" and revise the roster to include a few more "physical"
players - Tory comes to mind ? make the training video the 1973 Summit series? The swedes were used as a 'warm up team" and turned out to be tough competition because of their stick work.. Yeah, ankle slashing , trips etc.. So Team Canada had to change tactics and got more physical. Hospitalized a few swedes :) Won that series and left to loud Boo's from our Swedish friends .. Russia? A totally physical Canadian team won the series.. With every dirty trick in the book . Phil Esposito's book was the best candid explanation.. In the last game we took 30 minutes in penalties and the Russians were assessed 4 minutes (East German refs)..And a nobody ( Paul Henderson ) got 3 game winning goals.. Maybe the greatest hockey series ever.. I still watch it at least once a year ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Just saw TSN's latest projections for Canada.

They have Carter, Kunitz and Sharp making the team as wingers and no Cory Perry... even though Getzlaf DOES make the team as a center.

Kunitz on the first line, lol.