Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Post by KeyserSoze »

HOCKEY CANADA INVITES 47 PLAYERS TO OLYMPIC ORIENTATION CAMP (August 2013)

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=428191

A few guesses...

These 9 make the forward squad:
Crosby
Stamkos
Toews
Giroux
Tavares
E Stall
Nash
M Richards
Perry

And 4 of these 6 fill out the rest:
Getzlaf
St. Louis
Bergeron
Couture
Neal
Sharp

Defence:
Weber
Doughty
Keith
Letang
Pietrangelo
Subban
Seabrook

Goal:
Luongo
Price
Crawford
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

a couple of comments;

Interesting that MAF and Ward were not invited, oh how the mighty have fallen.
Holtby?, now that's intriguing.
Big ice skating is clearly a selection factor with forwards and defenders except for an odd pic (Dion?????? a gratuitous bow to the leaves).
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

How is Jamie Benn not a camp invite? Kid can do it all.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Guess we'll have to see how Eric Staal plays this season, as Eddie did a number on him with that third-degree MCL sprain.

I'd say Couture might steal his spot with a more prominent role.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Topper wrote:Big ice skating is clearly a selection factor with forwards and defenders except for an odd pic (Dion?????? a gratuitous bow to the leaves).
In Dion's case, he was a 2010 invite as well. It's probably more of a bow to his performance during the WJHC, even though that is long in the past at this point.

Weber, Doughty, Keith, Seabrook all have gold medals and are a lock, can't wait to see Subban play with them.

Boyle also has a gold from 2010, but I think he's just a little too old at this point. He might make the reserve list.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

BurningBeard wrote:
Topper wrote:Big ice skating is clearly a selection factor with forwards and defenders except for an odd pic (Dion?????? a gratuitous bow to the leaves).
In Dion's case, he was a 2010 invite as well. It's probably more of a bow to his performance during the WJHC, even though that is long in the past at this point.

Weber, Doughty, Keith, Seabrook all have gold medals and are a lock, can't wait to see Subban play with them.

Boyle also has a gold from 2010, but I think he's just a little too old at this point. He might make the reserve list.
I think with Letang and Subban developing into superstar like status, our Canadian defense is in it's prime!

Seabrook imo though will in all likelihood get the 6/7th dman status like in 2010, with Pietrangelo taking his spot.

Subban - Weber
Keith - Pietrangelo
Doughty - Letang
Seabrook

If for whatever reason there is an injury to Seabrook, Hamhuis could possibly get that 7th spot!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Swedish preliminary list: http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=428214

I'm a bit surprised they didn't invite Tobias Enström and Jakob Silfverberg.

Also of note that this list was published in June already, when Alfredsson was still not sure if he had another season in him. After he announced that he will play, he has been invited as well.

Maybe not the same depth as Canada has, but a decent enough group, and I can't think of any other goalie I'd rather have than Lundquist.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Per wrote:Swedish preliminary list: http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=428214

I'm a bit surprised they didn't invite Tobias Enström and Jakob Silfverberg.

Also of note that this list was published in June already, when Alfredsson was still not sure if he had another season in him. After he announced that he will play, he has been invited as well.

Maybe not the same depth as Canada has, but a decent enough group, and I can't think of any other goalie I'd rather have than Lundquist.
Swedes have a very solid team.

Depth up and down their line up but perhaps the best goalie in the game.

They also have the best offensive defenceman and perhaps the best offensive player in the whole world playing on the big ice. Karlson could end up dominating this tournament.

Canada is the favourite but I could easily see the Swedes walking away with the medal this time.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Couture, Bergeron and St.Louis are for sures IMO. Bergeron at least definitely is.

Not worried about the the Three Clowns and their piss-stained jerseys at all, it's the Russians on home ice with Bobrovsky and the Yanks with Quick that I'm worried about.

Our D and forwards are way better than everybody's, but you have to think the filthy Russians are going to do some damage one of these years.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Rumsfeld wrote: Doubt Getzlaf and Bergeron are back.
Rumsfeld wrote:Couture, Bergeron and St.Louis are for sures IMO. Bergeron at least definitely is.
Funny how much can change in 6 months.

I would have only had Bergeron as a bubble player on my list back at the start of 2013, but you have to think he has a very good chance of making it now. I think a lot of people can say the same regarding the reigning Norris trophy winner after the season he just had.

The talking heads at Sportsnet published their predictions last week...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hock ... c-rosters/

The majority included MAF :roll:, and did not include PK Subban :eh:

Brian Lawton did not include Jonathan Toews at all in his group of forwards :crazy:

What a bunch of hacks.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The verdict on Edler is in; he's suspended for two more international games. Not sure how it affects his chances of making the cut, but he'll miss the first two roundrobin games. They may decide to use him anyway. We'll see.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

So Per, I recently learned that the Russians have banned any "propaganda" or symbolism that promotes gay culture in Sochi.

So I have to ask... what jerseys will the Swedes wear now that the Three Clowns is clearly not an option?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: So Per, I recently learned that the Russians have banned any "propaganda" or symbolism that promotes gay culture in Sochi.

So I have to ask... what jerseys will the Swedes wear now that the Three Clowns is clearly not an option?
Good point Rummy.

Perhaps they'll be forced to go with their practice jerseys:

I've heard they do things in the locker room that are illegal even in Canada. :eh:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Rumsfeld wrote:So Per, I recently learned that the Russians have banned any "propaganda" or symbolism that promotes gay culture in Sochi.

I think it will all be sorted out in time for Sochi. It's really more of a lovers' spat. Vladimir is frustrated that his Brookback Putin photo shoot hasn't generated enough interest from the gay community, possibly because he looks a bit like Dooby the House Elf, and that the Vlad the Impaler nickname hasn't caught on. He feels hurt and therefor he lashes out at them.

ImageImageImageImageImage

(I actually think that that last picture may have been doctored)

Anyway, if he's still grumpy and pouting when the games begin we may attempt to humour him by adopting his favourite dress code:

ImageImageImageImage

Strangelove wrote: I've heard they do things in the locker room that are illegal even in Canada. :eh:
Probably the cigars, eh?

Yeah, they're not really allowed in Swedish locker rooms either, but when you win a championship you're allowed to break a few rules during the celebration.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Canada is really in tough between the pipes for this tourney.

Sweden, Finland and USA all have superior goaltending, that is undebatable (although I'm sure some of the dunce brigade around here would give it a go). If Bobrovsky is the real deal, and he certainly looks it, add Russia to that list.

Finland
Rask
Rinne

USA
Quick
Schneider

Sweden
Lundqvist

Russia
Bobrovsky

All superior goaltenders to anybody Canada can put between the pipes. I suspect Price will have a bounceback year, he's too technically good to flail like he did last season for long. If he does, it will be between him and Luongo to take the reins for the Red and White... and my money's on Price, especially if Luongo starts the season in typical fashion.

It's a damn good thing we look so much better than everyone else at forward and defense, because I've never seen a best-on-best tournament where mighty Canada looked so weak in goal.

EDIT: Holy fuck, I forgot the Yanks have Craig Anderson as well. He still has a lot to prove but man, they are stacked in goal.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.