Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Post by Aaronp18 »

Per wrote: Two?! Come on! There'll be loads of them!
Seven to be exact.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Giroux is a major mistake, imagine the points he'd have playing w/ Crosby this season. I'd have found a way to squeeze both he & St. Louis onto this squad.

Chiarelli actually believes leaving Lucic & Marchand off this roster is equivalent to St. Louis. He mentioned GMs were pushing for their own guys but everyone had guys left off. My guess is Yzerman was outvoted on St. Louis.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Just take Rick Nash out and put in St. Louis or Giroux for more speed/skill.

Nash is a huge mistake, he sucks big balls. haha :D

And exhale, hoping for the best.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Per wrote:
herb wrote:I’m surprised and disappointed Nash made the cut over Giroux. I’m also a bit surprised Seabrook didn’t make the cut, but am stoked we will have two Canucks in Sochi!
Two?! Come on! There'll be loads of them!
We, Ie. Team Canada :evil: , will have two Canucks in Sochi.
Sweden also announced its roster today:

Goalies:
Jhonas Enroth, 25, Buffalo
Henrik Lundqvist, 31, New York Rangers
Jonas Gustavsson, 29, Detroit

Defence:
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, 22, Phoenix
Niklas Hjalmarsson, 26, Chicago
Henrik Tallinder, 34, Buffalo
Alexander Edler, 27, Vancouver
Johnny Oduya, 32, Chicago
Jonathan Ericsson, 29, Detroit
Niklas Kronwall, 32, Detroit
Erik Karlsson, 23, Ottawa

Forwards:
Daniel Alfredsson, 41, Detroit
Patrik Berglund, 25, St Louis
Marcus Krüger, 23, Chicago
Jakob Silfverberg, 23
Nicklas Bäckström, 26, Washington
Alexander Steen, 29, St Louis
Loui Eriksson, 28, Boston
Daniel Sedin, 33, Vancouver,
Henrik Sedin, 33, Vancouver
Henrik Zetterberg, 33, Detroit
Jimmie Ericsson, 33, Skellefteå
Carl Hagelin, 25, New York Rangers
Gabriel Landeskog, 21, Colorado
Johan Franzén, 34, Detroit

Couple of surprises on the blue line; no Hedman, Brodin or Murray.
Oof, Tallinder and Oduya over Hedman and Brodin, thoughts on that one Per?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

ClamRussel wrote:Chiarelli actually believes leaving Lucic & Marchand off this roster is equivalent to St. Louis. He mentioned GMs were pushing for their own guys but everyone had guys left off. My guess is Yzerman was outvoted on St. Louis.
I can understand why he'd bring up Lucic's name just for the sake of conversation, but Marchand? Really? Chiarelli has no business having anything to do with the selection process if he's make suggestions like that.

I did hear Babcock say they had a vote and some people suggested players that no one else in the room was willing to vote for, and you need to question your own opinions when that happens. Wonder who that comment was directed at. :)
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ClamRussel wrote:Chiarelli actually believes leaving Lucic & Marchand off this roster is equivalent to St. Louis. He mentioned GMs were pushing for their own guys but everyone had guys left off. My guess is Yzerman was outvoted on St. Louis.
What broadcast were you watching? On TSN, when Duthie interviewed Chiarelli, he mentioned his disappointment in not having Lucic and Marchand, who were both invited to the camp, not make the team. But the context was of players who worked their way onto the team that were not in camp and he particularly praised Marleau for that.

He made no comparison of his players to St Louis other than he and Yzerman and all the other GM's on the selection committee have disappointment at their guys not making it. In fact Yzerman, Chiarelli and Babcock went out of their way not to be critical of anyone left off the team.

Burning Beard, Bobcocks comment was on the process and used a hypothetical scenario that with all the hockey minds in the room, if one guy was promoting a player on no ones radar but his own, he may want to think twice about the guy.

It sound like the short list was a consensus and the final whittling was where opinions may have differed. Chiarelli noted that as the process drew to the final picks, the hard work and choices began.
Last edited by Topper on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:
What broadcast were you watching? On TSN, when Duthie interviewed Chiarelli, he mentioned his disappointment in not having Lucic and Marchand, who were both invited to the camp, not make the team. But the context was of players who worked their way onto the team that were not in camp and he particularly praised Marleau for that.

He made no comparison of his players to St Louis other than he and Yzerman and all the other GM's on the selection committee have disappointment at their guys not making it.
So if Gillis was on the selection committee Luo and Dan would be off?

No leaves! Especially with the announcement in Centre of Hell™

'Tis a good day indeed. :rockin:

I am comfortable with Nash the Gash reprising his checking 4th line role (after 3rd cuppa coffee, but ONLY after the 3rd cuppa coffee :mex: ).
Last edited by Arachnid on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Per wrote:Two?! Come on! There'll be loads of them!
Two on the only team that matters! This is the Team Canada forum after all...

Not sure I'll be cheering much for Weber on Team Switzerland, but you never know!
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Seven to be exact.
Kess
Hank
Dank
Edler
Luongo
Hamhuis

who's the 7th?

oops, missed herbs post :oops: Weber
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

dangler wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
Seven to be exact.
Kess
Hank
Dank
Edler
Luongo
Hamhuis

who's the 7th?

oops, missed herbs post :oops: Weber
7 :thumbs:

Which team has the most?

Someone do the math please, no time right now, I have a quota to make if I wanna be employee of the month again for December 2014! :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: On defence, all of these guys can play defence away from the boards giving opponent the perimeter to do with as they please while securing the scoring areas. Keith and Suban are the two I could see having problems defensively on the big ice, but that is a very fine line. I think it was the deciding factor with Seabrook.
WTF?

Subban will only have trouble if he plays stupid hockey and goes for the showstopping hit. But I can see where you are going with him. Keith is widely regarded as one of the most mobile and best skating defensemen in the NHL and also excellent at disrupting plays and passes with his stick checking, how do you figure he is going to have problems defensively on the big ice?
Topper wrote: I have no problem with the Nash selection as I think he'll once again be a third/fourth line players and used to shut down opponents as he did in Vancouver. Glad to see Benn and Duschane make it, but not convinced with Kunitz. In post announcement interviews his play at the Worlds was mentioned as a factor, so I'll go with that.
It's almost hilarious to see Nash's name in a sentence that talks about shutting down an opponent. He's selfish, and doesn't play defense worth shit. The guy has a bucket of talent in both hands, but other players were much better choices than him. The only way he shuts down the opponents is with puck possession.

Agree with you about Benn. I think Kunitz is there for one reason, his chemistry with Crosby, so if Babcock doesn't put him on Crosby's wing then he is a complete waste of a roster spot. There have been some big questionmarks about international teams and their level of chemistry, and other teams have found an edge by exploiting that with their own roster selections. So this must be the rationale behind Kunitz being on the roster. But by that token Seguin should have been on this roster too. The chemistry between him and Benn in Dallas has been unreal.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Topper wrote:

He made no comparison of his players to St Louis other than he and Yzerman and all the other GM's on the selection committee have disappointment at their guys not making it. In fact Yzerman, Chiarelli and Babcock went out of their way not to be critical of anyone left off the team.
Ya disappointed, except one of those three should be on the roster but its a numbers game. The other two are valid invitees to a selection camp but shouldn't be in the conversation when it comes down to the final cuts. Huge difference. I never said he compared the players, he said leaving them off was the equivalent. You basically reiterate what I said except you turn it around enough so that you can be contrary as per usual.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:
D
Jay Bouwmeester
Drew Doughty
Dan Hamhuis
Duncan Keith
Alex Pietrangelo
PK Subban
Marc-Eduard Vlasic
Shea Weber
WTF??!!

Next year Phaneuf will be pulling in more $$ than every guy on that list not named Weber!! :evil:

:mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

There will actually be eight Canucks playing in Sochi.

Latvian Ronalds Kenins, who the Canucks signed in July 2013 as an undrafted free agent (currently playing for Zurich in the Swiss League), will represent his country in Sochi.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ClamRussel wrote:Giroux is a major mistake, imagine the points he'd have playing w/ Crosby this season. I'd have found a way to squeeze both he & St. Louis onto this squad.

Chiarelli actually believes leaving Lucic & Marchand off this roster is equivalent to St. Louis. He mentioned GMs were pushing for their own guys but everyone had guys left off. My guess is Yzerman was outvoted on St. Louis.
The link that Topper posted regarding the selection process of the USA team was a good read, and I think it is a good basis to use when speculating why St. Louis was left off of the roster. The coaches and management group had to build a team. They had to fit into the mold that Canada was going with and they had to gel with the players they expected to put line them up with on the ice.

Personally I think that St. Louis should be on the team. If Kunitz is there because of his chemistry with Crosby than why not St. Louis with Stamkos. I know that there has been a lot of speculation that Stamkos will move over to the wing to skate with Sid, but it's not a lock that they will find the chemistry that St. Louis and Stamkos have. Stamkos might have to be moved back to center and play on the second line. In that case, they will be wishing Marty was there. Marty would probably also line up well with Jeff Carter, the guy is a pure scorer and he is a natural center who can slide to the wing, if Stamkos ends up with Crosby then that is an option for Marty to skate with.

But again, they had to build a team and assign players to positions they thought needed to be filled. Marty plays in most situations, but he only fits in at the RW spot, he's not as versatile that way.