World Championship 2013 (aka the Per thread)

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: World Championship 2013 (aka the Per thread)

Post by Per »

Game penalty on Edler for kneeing Eric Staal! :shock:

A bit harsh, imho. A penalty, sure, but game? :mad:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Bah! For a game penalty, Edler should have taken out Stamkos instead of Staal.
1-0 Canada. :-(
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

That Edler hit was dirty! The puck was gone long before the collision and Edler could have avoided it for sure.

That doesn't look like good news for Staal at all. He didn't even know Edler was coming and didn't brace for the impact at all.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear it's a torn ACL.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Yup, the refs have it in for the Canucks. Two minutes for Hamhuis, and Sweden scores! :D
1-1
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

2-2 in regulation and after ot.
On to the shootout!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

... And Sweden wins! :D

:towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:

:cheers:

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

:rockin:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Exciting game between Sweden and Canada. I thought the game penalty on Edler and Stamkos's scoring on the power play was the deciding moment of the game, but Sweden came back with two power play goals orchestrated by the Sedins. Then Giroux ties the game. Nerve recking last ten minutes and over time. Stupid mistake by Enroth, approaching the bench for water, and the refs insist he's only allowed to go there to leave the ice... An ice cold Markström takes the ice, makes three saves, then switches back to Enroth... That could have cost us the game right there. And then the shootout.

So, US eliminates Russia, Swiss eliminate Czechs, Finns eliminate Slovaks and Sweden eliminates Canada.

Semi finals on Saturday will be Sweden vs Finland and Switzerland vs USA.

Btw, the twins really suck at penalty shots. Good thing we had the better goalie. 8-)
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Ahhh the shoot-out... Honestly, if it ever makes it into the NHL playoffs, I'll stop watching. A completely preposterous way to settle a team game. Hockey or soccer. Having said that, congrats nonetheless, Per.

How did Team Canada with all those Oilers lose a shootout? Especially to a team with three Canucks on it?
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

I thought the Sedins are hating shootouts and both showed up why ... :lol:
Pettersson was straight.
Imo Edler did nothing, he was just skating through without any emotion or intend, unlucky for Staal and if he doesn't get injured there would be even no penalty on Edler.

Watched the other games too and Team Sweden is by far the best team left, let's see if they'll make it.

I'm cheering for the Swiss underdog hehehe.

Btw i'll never understand this marketing strategy nowadays, due to too expensive ticket prices there are 2000 seats empty in a quarterfinal between Canada and Sweden? Come on, how stupid is that. Reminds me somehow to the clinical atmosphere at Rogers. Most real fans can't afford the tickets, not oldtyme hockey anymore.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cookie La Rue wrote:I thought the Sedins are hating shootouts and both showed up why ... :lol:
Pettersson was straight.
Imo Edler did nothing, he was just skating through without any emotion or intend, unlucky for Staal and if he doesn't get injured there would be even no penalty on Edler.

Watched the other games too and Team Sweden is by far the best team left, let's see if they'll make it.

I'm cheering for the Swiss underdog hehehe.

Btw i'll never understand this marketing strategy nowadays, due to too expensive ticket prices there are 2000 seats empty in a quarterfinal between Canada and Sweden? Come on, how stupid is that. Reminds me somehow to the clinical atmosphere at Rogers. Most real fans can't afford the tickets, not oldtyme hockey anymore.
Canada and Russia were the favourites, and now they're gone. Greatly improves Sweden's chances! 8-)

That they don't fill the Stockholm Globe Arena when Sweden plays Canada is a disgrace. :mad:

It's not just steep ticket prices though. Other factors playing into it is that people in Stockholm seem to have lost interest in hockey as their local teams have crapped the bed rather extensively over the past few years, the game starts pretty late on a work night, so if you're from out of town you're basically forced to spend the night in Stockholm, which both drives up the cost and makes it harder to fit into your work schedule (When I went to see the Belarus game, I left Stockholm at midnight and wasn't in bed till three am, and then had to work the next day... ) and finally teh game coincided with the Eurovision Song Contest semi finals, which were also held in Sweden (the final is on Saturday). You might think it's not the same people going to a hockey game or a cheesy song fest, but I bet there's substantial overlap. And if you stay at home you can zap between the game and the song contest, all in crystal clear HD.... :roll:

Nevertheless, that they don't fill the Stockholm Globe Arena when Sweden plays Canada is a disgrace. :mad:

There are really no excuses. :evil:

Highlights from the game:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote:teh game coincided with the Eurovision Song Contest semi finals, which were also held in Sweden (the final is on Saturday). You might think it's not the same people going to a hockey game or a cheesy song fest, but I bet there's substantial overlap. And if you stay at home you can zap between the game and the song contest, all in crystal clear HD.... :roll:
:eh:
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Dirty play by Edler. Why can't he play like that for the team that pays his salary?? Oh right, because he'd have to answer for it...
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Edler suspended for the rest of the tournament! :(
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Per wrote:Edler suspended for the rest of the tournament! :(
Good, means he won't get hurt so we can trade him before his new contract kicks in!

:wink:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Edler supposedly gets five games, the semi final, final and possibly three Olympic tournament games.

Getzlaf only got one last year for doing the exact same thing. Not fair! :evil: