World Juniors 2007

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Soapy
MVP
MVP

World Juniors 2007

Post by Soapy »

2007 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship

Leksand and Mora, Sweden
Group A, Leksand
Canada
USA
Sweden
Slovakia
Germany

Group B, Mora
Russia
Finland
Czech Republic
Switzerland
Belarus

Tues, Dec. 26 1pm EST Sweden vs Canada TSN
Wed, Dec. 27 1:30pm Canada vs USA TSN
Fri, Dec. 29 1pm Germany vs Canada TSN
Sun, Dec. 31 7am Canada vs Slovakia

For the elimination go to:
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?fid=445
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

I bet Price starts in net even though I heard that Irving was outstanding in the tryouts. A Canadiens draft pick vs a Flames draft pick..go with the east influence....they are both good.
Players to watch:
Karl Alzner L 6'2 209 09/24/88 Burnaby, BC Calgary (WHL) NHL 2007
D-man draft year
*Luc Bourdon L 6'3 211 02/16/87 Shippagan, NB Moncton (QMJHL) VAN 2005
Obvious
Cody Franson R 6'3 204 08/08/07 Sicamous, BC Vancouver (WHL) NSH 2005
Van Giant & a beauty
*Daniel Bertram R 5'10 183 01/14/87 Calgary, AB Boston College (HE) CHI 2005
Drafted by the Giants in the bantam draft..going to be very good
Kenndal McArdle L 6'0 205 01/04/87 Burnaby, BC Vancouver (WHL) FLA 2005
Obvious
Sam Gagner R 5'11 190 08/10/89 Oakville, ON London (OHL) NHL 2007
Draft year & I don't know much about him
-- Winston Churchill
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

not too bad so far.... 3-0..... good enough for a free pass to the semifinals 8-)
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Thanks for responding to my post...not a lot of junior interest I guess.
The team looks solid...Bourdon is still making bonehead plays though...not as solid as Parent or Staal..& that Russell kid had a great game....
Nice to see Germany fielding as good team. Great for hockey !
-- Winston Churchill
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

i love the world juniors!! yeah, Bourdon hasnt been playing the way he should be at that level, but i thnk they have the best defensive team. i thought the united states had a good defence until we played them, some of their best guys made alot of poor decisions (ie. johnson throwing his stick). i've watched russel play solid all year for the Tigers, and Helm is the leading score there i believe.
BELIEVE.

Jonathan Toews
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Yeah I completely missed this thread, otherwise I'd have replied much earlier. Bourdon was solid during the first game, but has been almost invisible since. I really think he needs to step up and start throwing his weight around and really trying to be a difference maker, like he was during last year's tournament. He also seems to have problems holding the line on the PP, but that might just be the larger ice surface. I haven't seen too many non-Canada games because I've been extremely busy, so I can't comment on any of our other prospects.

It's nice to see Canada winning, but the Germany game was very close to a complete embarrasment. Germany had real team chemistry, and it completely threw us through a loop. I was certain they would score on the 2nd five on three to tie the game. Our powerplay wasn't anywhere near as organized as theirs was. Really after the Sweden game we were less then spectacular. Hopefully we'll be able to shake this off and cruise to another gold.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

What an excellent draft pick by the Pens to take Letang in the third round. He's really developed into a fundamentally sound and poised player. Bourdon-Letang will be Canada's top pairing this year.

Is it just me or do Jack and Erik Johnson don't look as good as advertised? Darren Helm absolutely schooled one of them to the puck and slipped it past Zatkoff for a goal. Both the Johnson's look slow and were almost invisible in the game against Canada.

And I'm not surprised to hear/see that Franson is Preds property - they've got a very good group of defensemen for the future: Weber, Suter, Lehtonen, Franson, Hamhuis.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

tuzzi44 wrote:i love the world juniors!! yeah, Bourdon hasnt been playing the way he should be at that level, but i thnk they have the best defensive team. i thought the united states had a good defence until we played them, some of their best guys made alot of poor decisions (ie. johnson throwing his stick). i've watched russel play solid all year for the Tigers, and Helm is the leading score there i believe.
Ya I'm stoked as well...
Bourdon is doing the same things as last year...I'm not sure about him...Staal & Parent are unreal as a pair. They have shut down every team so far. NYR & PHI must be very happy with those two picks.
Russel is a jewel & with be a good pro.
The US d-men seem to be over grown idiots. THey need to play hockey with men so they can learn the game & learn a lesson or two.
Thanks for supporting our juniors!!!
-- Winston Churchill
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

levelheaded wrote:Yeah I completely missed this thread, otherwise I'd have replied much earlier. Bourdon was solid during the first game, but has been almost invisible since. I really think he needs to step up and start throwing his weight around and really trying to be a difference maker, like he was during last year's tournament. He also seems to have problems holding the line on the PP, but that might just be the larger ice surface. I haven't seen too many non-Canada games because I've been extremely busy, so I can't comment on any of our other prospects
I totally agree...Bourdon has not yet made his name known in this tourney. They seem to have him in the PP role only...I think he can do a lot more.
-- Winston Churchill
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

jchockey wrote:What an excellent draft pick by the Pens to take Letang in the third round. He's really developed into a fundamentally sound and poised player. Bourdon-Letang will be Canada's top pairing this year.
Letang & Russel seem to have a lot more to prove as this tourney moves along.
Great comment on the Preds & the drafting they have done.
-- Winston Churchill
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

well I guess were gonna see another US vs. Canada game again for the semifinal on wednesday. i didnt see the game but the united states beat finland 6-3. as long as we keep our defence as strong as its been the whole tourney and carey price stays solid we should have no problem.... should be a good game though.
BELIEVE.

Jonathan Toews
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Shit, where can I watch the gold medal game tomorrow?

No TSN at the moment and I hate Windows XP.

Would Boston Pizza be open that early?
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:Shit, where can I watch the gold medal game tomorrow?

No TSN at the moment and I hate Windows XP.

Would Boston Pizza be open that early?
Hope you got to watch the game...nail biting for a bit there...and the sweet quote by TOEWS that you posted...he is going to be sweet if he puts on a bit of weight..he seems slight ( they said the same thing about WAYNE)
I hope POGGE from last year & PRICE from this year actually develop into good goalies in the NHL .....it is always nice to follow these guys straight into NHL careers....
-- Winston Churchill