Page 1 of 6

2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:38 pm
by SKYO
Looks like it's signed, sealed and delivered no NHL players for the winter olymipcs in 2018.

Seems Russia has been preparing for this for like 2-3 years, they'll be the heavy favourites now with a lot of great players available to them via KHL. Ilya Kovalchuk, Pavel Datsyuk, Slava Voynov, Nichushkin etc. Ovechkin is in IDGAF mode, he's going to the Olympics no matter what, and will bolt to Russia if the NHL files grievances imho.

So PLAN B is in full effect for Team Canada...eep.
PLAN B

2018 team (without NHL players)

Goaltenders:

Zach Fucale, Brampton (ECHL); Drew MacIntyre, Medvescak Zagreb (KHL); Ben Scrivens, HC Dinamo Minsk (KHL); Danny Taylor, HC Sibir Novosibirsk (KHL)

Defencemen:

Chay Genoway, Jokerit Helsinki (KHL); Geoff Kinrade, Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk (KHL); Chris Lee, Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL); Patrick McNeill, Ingolstadt ERC (Germany); Shaone Morrisonn, Medvescak Zagreb (KHL); Maxim Noreau, SC Bern (Switzerland); Blake Parlett, Medvescak Zagreb (KHL); Mat Robinson; HC Dynamo Moscow (KHL); Jonathan Sigalet, Frolunda HC (Sweden); Daniel Vukovic, Genève-Servette (Switzerland)

Forwards:

Chris Didomenico, SCL Tigers (Switzerland); Andrew Ebbett, SC Bern (Switzerland); Matt Ellison, HC Dinamo Minsk (KHL); Cory Emmerton, HC Ambri-Piotta (Switzerland); Andrew Gordon, Linkoping HC (Sweden); Dustin Jeffrey, Lausanne HC (Switzerland); Brandon Kozun, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (KHL); Jonathan Matsumoto, Red Bull Munchen (Germany); Jacob Micflikier, EHC Biel-Bienne (Switzerland); David McIntyre, EV Zug (Switzerland); Marc-Antoine Pouliot, EHL Biel-Bienne (Switzerland); Mason Raymond, Geneve-Servette (Switzerland); Derek Roy, Omsk Avangard (KHL); Greg Scott, CSKA Moscow (KHL); James Sheppard, EHC Kloten (Switzerland); Nick Spaling, Genève-Servette (Switzerland); Paul Szczechura, Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL); Maxime Talbot, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (KHL)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... e34423854/
The interesting ones are the UFA's, maybe Iginla, Doan might be interested in representing team Canada.

Other reaches could be Cale Makar and Vilardi junior types.

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:26 pm
by Reefer2
Canada won't even get a bronze with that team.

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:22 pm
by Cookie La Rue
Bronze? Pray for surviving round robin.

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:52 am
by Puck
Can AHL players participate?

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:09 am
by Cornuck
Puck wrote:Can AHL players participate?
Some can:
Players on American Hockey League contracts will be eligible to play in the 2018 Winter Olympics.

The AHL’s decision does not affect players assigned to that league on NHL one- or two-way contracts. No final decision has been made about those players.
LINK

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:42 am
by BladesofSteel
Meh, let the Russians have their moment of glory. It'll be a victory with an asterisk, and the only real chance they'll ever have at winning a gold anyway.

Knowing that country, they'd probably choke there too.

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 am
by SKYO
A good read

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/nh ... &ocid=iehp

Canada penciling potential non-NHL targets overseas, AHL and NHL vets without a NHL contract yet.

Malkin/Ovechkin, agents, NHLPA, NHL owners trying to find some ways to get a few players in the Olympics to keep their superstar players happy.

In the end it will Finland, Sweden and Russia & maybe the Czech's that will land top 4.
They will have a unified team, as they play in their leagues a lot and will have players that are ready with some chemistry already.

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 am
by SKYO
I added some veteran Canadian players without a current NHL contract and recent retiree's.

Jarome Iginla (captain), Shane Doan (A), Brad Richards, Shawn Horcoff, Cody Hodgson (good international experience), Mike Santorelli, Mike Ribeiro, Brooks Laich (I think this would be great for his comeback/confidence levels), Alex Tanguay, Steve Ott, Chris Higgins, Matt Cullen, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Derek Roy, Gilbert Brulé, Andrew Ebbett, Mason Raymond, Max Talbot, Linden Vey, Daniel Paille, Taylor Beck


Brian Campbell, Dennis Wideman, Dan Boyle, Cam Barker, Carlo Colaiacovo, Stefan Elliott, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Kevin Klein, Brandon Gormley.

Ben Scrivens
Zach Fucale

Campbell, Wideman, Boyle would add some QB prowess.

I think a lot Canadian players without NHL contracts will definitely contemplate playing for their country pretty quick.

Image

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:40 pm
by Strangelove
Reefer2 wrote:Canada won't even get a bronze with that team.
But that coach!













:lol:

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:59 pm
by Puck
BladesofSteel wrote:Meh, let the Russians have their moment of glory. It'll be a victory with an asterisk, and the only real chance they'll ever have at winning a gold anyway.

Knowing that country, they'd probably choke there too.
You don't remember the 70s or 80s, do you?

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:01 pm
by Topper
SKYO wrote:I added some veteran Canadian players without a current NHL contract and recent retiree's.

Jarome Iginla (captain), Shane Doan (A), Brad Richards, Shawn Horcoff, Cody Hodgson (good international experience), Mike Santorelli, Mike Ribeiro, Brooks Laich (I think this would be great for his comeback/confidence levels), Alex Tanguay, Steve Ott, Chris Higgins, Matt Cullen, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Derek Roy, Gilbert Brulé, Andrew Ebbett, Mason Raymond, Max Talbot, Linden Vey, Daniel Paille, Taylor Beck


Brian Campbell, Dennis Wideman, Dan Boyle, Cam Barker, Carlo Colaiacovo, Stefan Elliott, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Kevin Klein, Brandon Gormley.

Ben Scrivens
Zach Fucale

Campbell, Wideman, Boyle would add some QB prowess.

I think a lot Canadian players without NHL contracts will definitely contemplate playing for their country pretty quick.
Mobility scooters are for the Special Olympics

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:51 pm
by BladesofSteel
Puck wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Meh, let the Russians have their moment of glory. It'll be a victory with an asterisk, and the only real chance they'll ever have at winning a gold anyway.

Knowing that country, they'd probably choke there too.
You don't remember the 70s or 80s, do you?
You mean the former USSR?

Different era, different attitude, different organization.

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:47 am
by Puck
Perhaps, BOS, perhaps. That was just a lot of hyperbole in your post "the only chance they'll ever have" and "knowing that country... choke". They've had some pretty amazing gold medal wins at the juniors and they produce a lot of successful athletes in pretty much every sport. I'd be reluctant to outright discount them.

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:27 am
by BladesofSteel
I'm referring to the ineptitude of the hockey teams leadership from the management on down over the past decade. Given the all world talent Russia has pumped out, they've continued to disappoint on the big stage at the Olympics.

The country's individual talent is among the best in the world, mismanagement, a lack of leadership and poor coaching is something the old USSR would never be accused of.

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 am
by micky107
BladesofSteel wrote:I'm referring to the ineptitude of the hockey teams leadership from the management on down over the past decade. Given the all world talent Russia has pumped out, they've continued to disappoint on the big stage at the Olympics.

The country's individual talent is among the best in the world, mismanagement, a lack of leadership and poor coaching is something the old USSR would never be accused of.
Ovy is a mega soldier but definitely not a leader. Not on any stage, so it would seem.