World Juniors 2016

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: World Juniors 2016

Post by Per »

On the one hand, Nylander needs to be aware of his whereabouts and surroundings.
On the other hand this is pure shoulder to head. It's headhunting.
It is not a legitimate hit and it has no place in ice hockey.

From what I understand it's Toronto that has stopped him from playing.
They don't want to risk their investment in this kid.

Too bad. The 15 minutes he got to play in this tournament looked pretty good.
Just wondering... Does he still get a gold medal?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote:On the one hand, Nylander needs to be aware of his whereabouts and surroundings.
On the other hand this is pure shoulder to head. It's headhunting.
It is not a legitimate hit and it has no place in ice hockey.
Had contact been made shoulder to shoulder it would have been legitimate.

I don't think that was head hunting, it was a poorly timed and executed check.

To say that Nylander "needs to be aware of his whereabouts and surroundings".....yeah, even keeping his eyes open would have told him the hit was coming. About 1.5 seconds before the hit (real-time) he is actually facing the direction of the oncoming Swiss player, part of his play looks to be to move the puck away and up ice to protect it from that Swiss player.

To be honest it reminds me a bit of the Moore on Naslund hit. Naslund reaching for the puck and Moore was coming in cleanly, but followed through with a hit to the head that was primarily due to Naslund's position.

Yes, both were worth of suspension under current rules. But I don't think either play was "head hunting" with the intent to injure.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I get a kick out of people who blame the refs at these international tournaments whenever Canada loses. Are you actually waiting for them to change the way these games are called? Did they change things up from last year? The last 5 years? Last 10? Have none of these players played for Canada internationally before?

As far as international games go, the reffing didn't seem that bad. I thought Laine might've gotten a 5+game for the Strome hit, until I saw Strome look for the ref immediately upon hitting the ice, and then coming back to the bench immediately upon confirmation it was a 2 minute minor. It was a good attempt a sell-job.

Penalties were 9 against Canada, 6 against the Finns. 3 times Canada either nullified, or reduced a powerplay opportunity. They were called for delay of game twice. Canada could of taken over the game just after the half-way mark, when the Fins were already short-handed and being called for a check from behind, before Jake sunk that with one of the more blatant penalties you'll ever see.

Sorry, those wounds were self-inflicted today. If they could've played like they did in the first period for the entire game they'd be onto the semis, and maybe if they could've figured it out earlier in the tourney they could've avoided Finland in the quarters.
The only problem with the officiating in this one was the inconsistency between the teams. For every penalty they gave us, one could easily have gone the other way at some point.

The fact that Marner got the only penalty in the tussle between him and that Fin player is a prime example. Sure, we're already going to the PP for the holding call, but the Finnish player comes in and engages Marner, shove to the chest and shot to the shoulder, then Marner responds with a high shove/tap that catches the chin.....the Finnish player does an incredible sell job and Marner gets the gate alone. There should have been the holding call and then offsetting minors to Marner and Whatshisnuts.

The Fins were guilty of holding the stick and knocking sticks out of hands a bunch, but that went uncalled. There was lots of little things that were called on Canada that both Sweden and Finland were equally as guilty of but received the blind eye treatment.

The refs didn't decide the game, but through a slight bias they enabled Finland to generate momentum when they would otherwise have had none.

The officiating didn't cost Canada the game though. Blackwood was terrible and should have had 2 of the 6 he gave up and 2 more of them were very stoppable.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I like how Renney says that coaching was excellent and did a great job preparing the team.....

Canada had the worst PK in the tournament, and the 2nd worst SV%.

It took until the game against the Fins for Canada to finally adjust the 5-on-4 PK to be fairly effective.

Sweden ate us alive on the rush by going outside with the big ice.

Our coaching was TERRIBLE this year.

Terrible goaltending + terrible coaching + weak blueline = early exit.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote:I like how Renney says that coaching was excellent and did a great job preparing the team.....

Canada had the worst PK in the tournament, and the 2nd worst SV%.

It took until the game against the Fins for Canada to finally adjust the 5-on-4 PK to be fairly effective.

Sweden ate us alive on the rush by going outside with the big ice.

Our coaching was TERRIBLE this year.

Terrible goaltending + terrible coaching + weak blueline = early exit.
Yeah that's pretty rich. I'm really questioning what kind of identity the Canadian management team thought they were going with.

Since this was the worst team since 1998, I had a look at that roster. I'd be surprised if the 2016 world junior team puts up as many decent NHL'ers as the 1998 team. Hopefully Virtanen can have a better career than Daniel Tkaczuk.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So, Finland beat Sweden 2-1. Can't really say much.
Both of Finland's goals came on power plays after iffy calls, but that's what happens.
They had a great power play, we had a not so good penalty kill. Special teams win games.

We had thirty minutes left on the clock to tie the game and simply couldn't get it done.
Once Finland had the lead, they controlled the game and never let Sweden back in. :(

Too bad. I thought we had a pretty decent team this year, but I guess so have the Finns.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Ron Wilson noted that the Finnish PP was excellent. It's not the first time special teams have been the tipping point, especially in a one-game elimination.

The positive here (for Canada or Sweden) is that it's always good to have the host team in the final. It's good for the tournament. Go Finns...
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

And Russia beats the USA 2-1 as well.

I'm surprised. After the quarter finals I thought it would be Sweden vs USA in the final...
Turns out that that matchup is the bronze game. :o

Finland plays Russia for gold. Plenty of hatred from the Finns in that game.
For them WW2 was all about the Russkies gobbling up Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia and then trying to conquer Finland. They lost nearly a quarter of their land surface but managed to stay independent.

I remember an old joke from the days when Reagan was in the White House and Mauno Koivisto was president of Finland. Supposedly a US diplomat was suggesting to a Finnish collegue that Finland was being too soft on Russia.
The Finn gave him an icy stare and replied "Our president has personally killed four Russians. How many Russians has your president killed?" :drink:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Per wrote:So, Finland beat Sweden 2-1. Can't really say much.
Both of Finland's goals came on power plays after iffy calls, but that's what happens.
They had a great power play, we had a not so good penalty kill. Special teams win games.

We had thirty minutes left on the clock to tie the game and simply couldn't get it done.
Once Finland had the lead, they controlled the game and never let Sweden back in. :(

Too bad. I thought we had a pretty decent team this year, but I guess so have the Finns.
:lol:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Big girls don't cry.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Very good write up.

I like the fact that they are clearly pointing the gun at Hockey Canada and they pressure they put on kids.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/can ... spartanntp
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per [color=#FF0000]Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm[/color] wrote: Too bad. The 15 minutes he got to play in this tournament looked pretty good.
Just wondering... Does Nylander still get a gold medal?
Per [color=#FF0000]Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:44 pm[/color] wrote: I'm surprised. After the quarter finals I thought it would be Sweden vs USA in the final...
Turns out that that matchup is the bronze game. :o
:lol:

:P
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Looked like a dive by Nylander, I suspect he was scared of eventually playing Canada and took the easy way out.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Terrible game by Sweden today. They didn't put their heart into it. :(
Guess they weren't able to get over not being in the final.

The final is better. Now going into overtime.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Per wrote:Terrible game by Sweden today. They didn't put their heart into it. :(
Guess they weren't able to get over not being in the final.

The final is better. Now going into overtime.
8-3? That's fucking embarrassing, sorry 'bout that Per, seriously. It's hard to watch your team give such a gutless effort. You just don't see Canada lose like that, man! Brutal.

The Finns' top line is sick and so is this gold medal game!
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.