World Cup 2016

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by BladesofSteel » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:55 pm

Subban may be more mobile, offensive and dynamic, but I'm not so sure he's a "better" defenseman than Shea Weber.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3849
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by micky107 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:56 am

Won't get into this debate, except to say; Wonder if they'd be good paired together on the same team for 82 games?
"evolution"

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7898
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by Island Nucklehead » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:49 am

Mondi wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Jesus Christ Mondi. Subban is a right handed shot. On the right side are Vlasic, Weber and Doughty. Why the fuck are you comparing him to Boumeester and Muzzin ? Babcock and TC brass want an equal number of left and right shots back there.
Ok, well I'd take PK over Vlasic and probably Weber. I'd also take PK playing on the wrong side over Muzzin.

Anyways, whatever. Not a big issue.

Just saying that Canada could probably have iced an even better team without injuries and various selections.
Again, much different scenario than an NHL game. On an NHL team, PK will play 28+ minutes/night and be responsible for driving play in all areas of the ice. On a $150M (or whatever) team like Canada, he's playing 14/night and being asked to keep it simple. Simple isn't part of PK's game.

Taylor Hall is better at scoring goals than a few TC forwards, but Team Canada is totally set on roles/responsibilities and building the most complete team. It's not about who's the most dynamic offensive talent, but who can implement Babcock's strategy.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3396
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by Per » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:57 am

Swedish media is questioning why Team North America didn't pull the goalie. If they had beaten Sweden in regulation, they would have made the semifinals regardless of the score between Finland and Russia.

The way it stands now, with an ot win, they only make the semifinals if Finland beats Russia or loses on penalty shots. If Russia wins in regulation or ot, they pass North America in the standings and reach the semifinal.

Sure, you say, but if they had pulled the goalie, Sweden could have scored an emptynetter and the Young Guns would have lost in regulation. Yeah, sure. But it wouldn't have differed much. If they had lost in regulation, they could still reach the semifinal as long as Finland beats Russia in regulation.

So the only scenario in which it would make a difference is if the Finland vs Russia game goes to a penalty shootout, or if Finland wins in ot. Or, theoretically, if Finland wins by more than six goals.

Most people here think it would have been worth the shot to pull the goalie and try to win in regulation, and create your own destiny.

I'm rooting for the Finns tonight. :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3396
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by Per » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:57 am

I'd love to see Guadreau (sp?), a mere 68 kg, get hit into the boards by the likes of Weber and Doughty...! :lol:
Last edited by Per on Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3849
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by micky107 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:08 am

Per wrote:I'd love to see Guadreau (sp?), a mere 68 kg, get hit into the boards by the likes of Weber and Doughty...! :lol:
He'll be fine. He has played against every crusher in the league right?
mmmm, doesn't actually have a contract yet though does he... :)
"evolution"

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 16738
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by Strangelove » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:22 am

Per wrote: I'm rooting for the Finns tonight. :drink:
:shock:

I was just scanning but that stood out like a sore thumb!

Do you tell your fellow Swedes you are cheering for the Finns? :hmmm:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3396
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by Per » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:23 am

Strangelove wrote:Do you tell your fellow Swedes you are cheering for the Finns? :hmmm:
Yup. We all hate the Russkies, so it makes perfect sense. :mrgreen:

Plus it'd be cool to see how the Young Guns'd fare against Canadia... 8-)

Btw, the Finland thing is more like a sibling rivalry. And we're the big brother.
So even though we hate losing to them, and must win at any cost, we sort of feel sorry for them after we crush them. :?

And we give them some faint praise if they beat Russia.
Last edited by Per on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3396
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by Per » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:25 am

micky107 wrote:
Per wrote:I'd love to see Guadreau (sp?), a mere 68 kg, get hit into the boards by the likes of Weber and Doughty...! :lol:
He'll be fine. He has played against every crusher in the league right?
mmmm, doesn't actually have a contract yet though does he... :)
Looks like a 15 year old kid... :?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3849
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by micky107 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:41 am

Per wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Do you tell your fellow Swedes you are cheering for the Finns? :hmmm:
Yup. We all hate the Russkies, so it makes perfect sense. :mrgreen:

Plus it'd be cool to see how the Young Guns'd fare against Canadia... 8-)

Btw, the Finland thing is more like a sibling rivalry. And we're the big brother.
So even though we hate losing to them, and must win at any cost, we sort of feel sorry for them after we crush them. :?

And we give them some faint praise if they beat Russia.
Wow Per! Do you know how that sounds?
Superiority complex just a bit?
Just kidding, I know you didn't mean it that way.. :)
"evolution"

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3849
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by micky107 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:44 am

Per wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Per wrote:I'd love to see Guadreau (sp?), a mere 68 kg, get hit into the boards by the likes of Weber and Doughty...! :lol:
He'll be fine. He has played against every crusher in the league right?
mmmm, doesn't actually have a contract yet though does he... :)
Looks like a 15 year old kid... :?
So did Crosby
So did Bure
So did Gretzsky
The Sedins? Still might if they shaved.. :shock:
"evolution"

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7397
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by Cornuck » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:18 am

Image

This kid did ok in a tougher era.
2017 - The Road to 65™

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3849
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by micky107 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:40 am

Cornuck wrote:Image

This kid did ok in a tougher era.
Awesome :)
"evolution"

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3396
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by Per » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:13 am

micky107 wrote:
Per wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Do you tell your fellow Swedes you are cheering for the Finns? :hmmm:
Yup. We all hate the Russkies, so it makes perfect sense. :mrgreen:

Plus it'd be cool to see how the Young Guns'd fare against Canadia... 8-)

Btw, the Finland thing is more like a sibling rivalry. And we're the big brother.
So even though we hate losing to them, and must win at any cost, we sort of feel sorry for them after we crush them. :?

And we give them some faint praise if they beat Russia.
Wow Per! Do you know how that sounds?
Superiority complex just a bit?
Just kidding, I know you didn't mean it that way.. :)
No, no... That's what I was aiming for! :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2861
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by Aaronp18 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:59 am

Cornuck wrote:Image

This kid did ok in a tougher era.
I have that card! And about a dozen more. :mrgreen:

Post Reply