World Cup 2016

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by Aaronp18 »

But it's not about putting the most talented players out there and letting them try to win. It assembling the best TEAM. Canada has figured this out, I think the US tried to do this but failed miserably!

Subban was traded from Montreal for a reason. Probably the same reason he was left off the Canadian roster! He's a great talent but sometimes the attitude simply doesn't mesh. Maybe he'll figure it out after being moved and left off this team!

Regardless, Canada showed the Americans what a team is tonight and they didn't even play their best game.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Its a BURKE team.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Canada just has so much poise. The only hot heads really are Perry and Doughty.....and they're pretty mild in this tournament. Nobody was really even attempting to chirp back at guys like Kesler. Abdelkader shouldn't even be there.

The US isn't missing Gaudreau. They have Kane, and he was next to ineffective in all but that first preliminary game.

The Americans came in with the wrong mindset. Torts even said before the tournament started that this game against Canada was their championship game.....what?

They dominated in the faceoff circle, and out hit us by a mile.....but we just played hockey and worried about the puck.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote:But it's not about putting the most talented players out there and letting them try to win. It assembling the best TEAM. Canada has figured this out, I think the US tried to do this but failed miserably!

Subban was traded from Montreal for a reason. Probably the same reason he was left off the Canadian roster! He's a great talent but sometimes the attitude simply doesn't mesh. Maybe he'll figure it out after being moved and left off this team!

Regardless, Canada showed the Americans what a team is tonight and they didn't even play their best game.
With Subban I don't think it's his attitude, I think it's his reliability.....maybe that can be part and parcel with attitude.

You can't trust him not to take a stupid penalty late in a close game, or to take a bad risk and get burnt while protecting a lead. One thing about Babcock as a coach is that he is ALL business, and he expects that of his players. He gets his guys to ignore the BS and not get sucked into much of anything between the whistles. It keeps guys focused and ignoring the Keslers and Abdelkaders, which just makes those guys ineffective in many regards. AV was similar, but Babcock's teams don't shirk away from protecting themselves or their teammates. If the other team starts roughing it up beyond a little whack and hack, do what you gotta do.....AV neuters his teams.

If you look at the D and who is there it's pretty obvious that they were also selecting based on balancing their left and right shooting options. When Keith had to withdraw I don't think there was a chance that a right shooting player was replacing him.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Kessell had hand surgery anyways and might might miss the start of the regular season. Not sure he'd be ready to go for the the US regardless.

The Subban thing is rather obvious, Canada doesn't need him to break open games or to make things happen all by himself. They have a team full of superstars and they need someone to get them the puck and support them as needed. A guy like Jay Bouwmeester, predictable and safe, is infinitely better suited to this kind of game than PK. They don't need a guy to go end-to-end and pull spin-o-rama's at the blueline or miss at a huge hip-check attempt. They need someone to block a shot, strip a puck down low, make an easy breakout pass and not get burned at the other teams blue line. Same story for a guy like Taylor Hall. Massively talented, but not talented enough to offset the deficiencies in the overall game.

Not only would the US be better off with Eichel, Gaudreau, Larkin, Matthews, Jones and Gostisbehere (thanks NHL), but they'll have to ask serious questions why they didn't pick eligible guys like Tyler Johnson, Okposo, Stastny, Ryan, Faulk, Shattenkirk and Fowler... BURKE TEAM is right, and it suffered for the lack of talent.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: The US isn't missing Gaudreau. They have Kane, and he was next to ineffective in all but that first preliminary game.
One minute into this clip, take a look at Kane messing up as the last man on the offensive blue line... Wow! :o

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The US may have been able to put together a better, more suited team for this tournament but I just can't believe the lack of mental preparation they had for their first game.
This was still a very talented team and all they had to do was take a boo at the schedule and figure, (mmm, better win the first game). Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Team Canada had the same schedule to look at and saw the importance of game one.
It wasn't rocket science...
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote:
Mëds wrote: The US isn't missing Gaudreau. They have Kane, and he was next to ineffective in all but that first preliminary game.
One minute into this clip, take a look at Kane messing up as the last man on the offensive blue line... Wow! :o
and the effort after being burned. He exerted more energy on a cab ride.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

97% of hockey experts agree, the modern ice sheet has changed. Team defence and fast puck movement is the modern game. No longer is board crunching intimidation to slow the pace an effective style.

Deniers, such as Burke and Lombardi still prefer their Coltons orr the modern, evolved Bobbys.

In other news this morning, Ryan Kesler has renounced his US citizenship citing his desire for for a Championship he is demanding refugee status in Canada.

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Topper wrote:97% of hockey experts agree, the modern ice sheet has changed. Team defence and fast puck movement is the modern game. No longer is board crunching intimidation to slow the pace an effective style.

Deniers, such as Burke and Lombardi still prefer their Coltons orr the modern, evolved Bobbys.

In other news this morning, Ryan Kesler has renounced his US citizenship citing his desire for for a Championship he is demanding refugee status in Canada.
But he won't pass the screening process.

Mmmm, Maybe he should try Sweden, right Per?
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote:97% of hockey experts agree, the modern ice sheet has changed. Team defence and fast puck movement is the modern game. No longer is board crunching intimidation to slow the pace an effective style.

Daniel Alfredsson actually became a Canadian citizen today at a ceremony in Toronto. :|

He is keeping his Swedish also though, as we now accept dual citizenships after Ulf Samuelsson being disqualified in Nagano.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Backlund received a hit to the head from Lepistö yesterday and will probably not play tonight against the Young Guns. This would mean Patrik Berglund will dress instead.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Kessell had hand surgery anyways and might might miss the start of the regular season. Not sure he'd be ready to go for the the US regardless.
Not the impression he gave with his tweet last night.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/phil-kesse ... soc_trk=tw
Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.
For some reason I hated Phil a little bit less after that! :lol:
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Is it just me, or was that game only marginally engaging? If this is Bettman's attempt to offer something in place of the Olympics, I'm not sold.

SWE:FIN - Superb setup on Stralman's goal by the bros.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mondi wrote: Well he's a question for you, if it is about assembling best TEAM, and the USA team got shit kicked, how can one not question the omissions?
Not entirely sure where you think I'm not questioning the omissions, I said they tried to assemble the best team but failed miserably. They are lacking skill, but as has been stated that's a Burke trademark - yknow the whole truculence thing. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see Kessel is not his type of player!
Mondi wrote: How much better would those five have looked than Abdelkader, Dubinsky, Steppan...etc.
They would look better for sure, might be able to beat Team Europe but Canada would add McDavid and have access to their younger players but I doubt anyone else from that roster would make the full team Canada roster. Maybe Ekblad.
Mondi wrote: But really, what's to debate? Canada is missing key pieces and still rolled the USA. The USA is missing maybe one or two guys they could have had on the team, and weren't anywhere close. Bottom line, Canada has better players.
Exactly! As of right now leaving PK off the team looks like the right decision, Team Canada has looked great.

Sure PK may be a better player than some of the other guys on the team but it takes the right mix of guys especially in a short tourney like this. And a wrong attitude can play a big role. A guy not willing to take a lesser role, or commit to a style that may not be his type of game, or have a me first attitude can be detrimental.

You don't have to work for the Habs to logically understand that there's a reason they traded him. If it was simply about talent and his on ice play he'd still be there. And he likely would've been named to the team Canada roster, but again there's a reason he was omitted. He was on the 2014 Olympic team but only appeared once (in his Norris winning season no less), then left off this team!