World Championship 2014

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: World Championship 2014

Post by Per »

Lol! Huberdeau attempts a Foppa; close, but no cigar.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

fuck.

Lost in overtime.

Sure, I don't have high hopes for the lackluster team we've sent - hardly any NHLers, our starting goalie is the Islanders' backup - but still. If France can bneat Canada, we should be able to do that too! :|

This means we almost certainly face Russia in the semifinal, and they look lethal this year.
Oh well, if we meet again in the final, it will be payback time. :evil:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Tough loss per..... :mrgreen:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Per wrote:fuck.

Lost in overtime.

Sure, I don't have high hopes for the lackluster team we've sent - hardly any NHLers, our starting goalie is the Islanders' backup - but still. If France can bneat Canada, we should be able to do that too! :|

This means we almost certainly face Russia in the semifinal, and they look lethal this year.
Oh well, if we meet again in the final, it will be payback time. :evil:
:lol: you lost against Cody FuckNuts Hodgson, GARY and BeSucksa

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And Ben 'I'm Not Even Good Enough For The Shit leaves' Scrivens

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
shhhhhhhh! You'll hurt Rummy 's feelings! :drink:

Arrgh, the humanity!

And all this from Doc "Torts is the second coming of Christ" Strangelove! :o

In all seriousness Doc, have you EVER not liked a move made by the Canucks? I mean at the actual time the move is made, not a year later when it was obviously retarded?

Serious question.
Let's put it this way... I've never lost a bet involving present or ex Canuck players. :mex:

I'm NOT trying to rub it in btw Rummy.

It keeps coming up in conversation is all.

Besides you wouldn't want folks to think you CHOSE that sig would ya?

And buddy?

One year of Torts was EXACTLY wot your Vancouver Canucks needed!! :thumbs:
No, you just lost a bet in general :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

c/p/hf -

Interesting to hear Garrison playing well with Bieksa for Team Canada, could be the final nail in the coffin for Edler here in Canuckland.

http://insidehockey.com/bieksa-garrison ... for-canada
In their first time suiting up for Canada on the international stage, Vancouver Canucks Kevin Bieksa and Jason Garrison have proven to be two of the best defenders for Canada so far at the 2014 World Championships in Belarus.

As a defensive pair, they have been utilized in all situations, including on the powerplay and on the penalty kill, as they have been a solid presence on the blue line. Their statistics look good as well. Through four games, Garrison leads the Canadian defence in points with four assists; Bieksa has one goal and one assist. As well, either both of them or one of them have led Team Canada in ice time in each of the four games, Bieksa usually playing around 23 minutes and Garrison around 21 to 24 minutes.

Canada opened up the tournament with a shaky 3-2 loss to France in a shootout, followed by three consecutive wins: a 4-1 win over Slovakia, a 4-3 win over the Czech Republic, and a 6-1 win over Denmark. For Bieksa, the team captain, the game against the Czech Republic is perhaps one he might remember the most, as he played a pivotal – yet bloody – role in the game’s turning point.

Bieksa lost a tooth and a bit of blood from a high stick by Czech player Jan Kovar in the second period of the game, which Canada was winning 2-1. After much discussion by the referees – and the constant reminders Bieksa gave them that Kovar drew blood – Kovar was given a five minute major. Nathan MacKinnon and Morgan Reilly both scored on the powerplay, Bieksa assisting on Reilly’s goal, which gave Canada a 4-1 lead. Although the Czech Republic battled back hard, scoring two more goals, the three-goal lead Kovar’s penalty and Bieksa’s lost tooth provided gave Canada what they needed to win the game.

Giving Bieksa the captaincy has been applauded by many. Bieksa has severed as an assistant captain with the Canucks and manages to keep the team atmosphere fun while still working hard and pushing his team to win.

“He keeps it fun, he likes to have a good time,” Canuck Alex Burrows, who is also playing on Team Canada, told The Canadian Press. “But at the same time when it’s time to work and do the right things, he’s the first one to lead the way.”

Garrison has also shown his ability to work hard and to execute important plays at important moments. Two of his four assists are on tying goals (against France and Slovakia) and another of his assists is on a go ahead goal for Canada (against Slovakia).

Bieksa and Garrison bring versatility, point production, dependability, leadership, and good performance in crucial moments to Team Canada, and have played an important role on the team four games into the tournament.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Canada wins again. 3-2 against a Norway team that despite a poor record has had some close games throughout the tournament.

Norway is quietly turning into a decent international opponent. I am not sure if the program is getting better or if established teams continue to take them lightly?
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I think the Latvians were robbed. This is a good goal.

... and it would seem Ted Nolan agrees:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2 ... l-referees
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Quarter finals on Thursday.

Canada vs Finland
USA vs Czech Republic
Russia vs France (sic!)
Sweden vs Belarus

I predict that the higher seeds win all these matchups and that we'll see a Canada vs Russia final.
Finland, the US and the Czechs have not impressed. France doesn't belong at this level, nor does Belarus really, but the latter have been helped by their home court advantage and the enthusiastic crowds.
Sweden has done OK, but I don't see this rag tag team getting past Russia.
They have Malkin and Ovechkin and we have... er... Nyqvist and Backlund. :oops:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Wow! Didn't see that coming. Both Canada and the US eliminated after quarter final upsets. :|

Sweden did not impress, but at least we beat Belarus.

Semifinals then Czechs vs Finland and Russia vs Sweden.

This means Canada hasn't medalled at a world championship since 2009 (silver) and not won since 2007.
Weird.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Per wrote:
This means Canada hasn't medalled at a world championship since 2009 (silver) and not won since 2007.
Weird.
Weird? Have you looked at our lineup? ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Well I'm over it.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

If Pear actually watched the NHL playoffs he'd see that the effort put forth by Team Canada in this meaningless 3rd-rate tournament is about 25% of what we've been seeing every night since mid-April.

Nice job by Sweden toppling their nemesis Belarus. :lol:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Rumsfeld wrote:If Pear actually watched the NHL playoffs he'd see that the effort put forth by Team Canada in this meaningless 3rd-rate tournament is about 25% of what we've been seeing every night since mid-April.

Nice job by Sweden toppling their nemesis Belarus. :lol:
Yep. I'm sure the Canadians are crushed they missed out on Gold. Nobody in Canada cares much about this tournament. Granted, it's a bigger deal than the Spengler, but gets similar billing (World Jrs vs SC Playoffs) in Canada. A Scrivens/Reimer goaltending duo? LOL destined for great things...

Anyone remember the 3am partying from Getzlaf, Perry and Benn? Boys must have a good time heading over there. I'd wager 40% of the motivation is a European vacay on Hockey Canada's dime to bang some strange, get away from the old lady for a few weeks, and enjoy the ego bump from playing for "Team Canada" (even if it is the C team). Unless your Ryan Smyth... that weirdo probably took it all quite seriously :lol:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote:
Per wrote:
Weird.
Weird? Have you looked at our lineup? ;)
Have you looked at Sweden's? Yours is far better on paper.