Team Canada Sochi

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Team Canada Sochi

Post by Per »

ukcanuck wrote:These latvians are making me nervous ...
They have quite a tradition as giant slayers. They don't have the material to win a tournament, but they have enough heart to beat anyone when they have a good day.

Anyway, Russia eliminated in the quarter final already? In their own games? Hilarious! :D
I bet heads are going to roll..... :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Wow - that game was a more tense than it needed to be.

Great game by the Latvians. I hope the Canucks were watching and took some notes about not giving up.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Impressed by the Latvian effort. They really made you work for it.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Fucking ted nolan...

Thank God that didn't become the greatest upset in hockey history ...
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So.... Sweden beats Slovenia 5-0, Finland beats Russia 3-1, US beats Czechs 5-2 and Canada beats Latvia 2-1.

We're looking at Scandinavian and North American conference finals to determine who gets to play in the gold medal game. Intriguing. So much for home court advantage. Putin must be royally pissed. :lol:
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

If.....then the Hockey God would be from Latvia, proven. This is combat, this is effort and how to try to win a battle... :mex:

So all teams who played yesterday lost, some kind of foreseeable.

Now on to the semis and what i've seen so far, unfortunately the Americans are my bet for Gold and so more Canada without a medal. :|
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
HockeyGeek
CC Rookie

Post by HockeyGeek »

Up at 4am to watch this one, wasn't on Australian TV(don't blame them, the USA Czech game looked more interesting on paper). Downloaded the CBC app to stream to my iPad, didn't work because I'm out of region. Missed first period before I found out that channel 10 lets you watch alternate games that aren't on TV at the moment using their iPad app...excited! Saw the summary for the first period...less excited. Watched 2nd period...even less excited. Listening to the pair of knobs that Ten hired to be commentators on the game("he uh, went to hit the puck")...fucking depressed. Watched first half of 3rd period...wondering if I had any hooch kicking around. WEBER...relieved! Game over...tired. Had time to think about Canada's chances if their inability to score continues...less excited, still just as tired.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Sweden - Finland
Canada - US

That's two nasty-looking battles. Gold medal winner will have seriously earned it.

Price was ...meh... kind of bobbled that late chance to the glove (may have been tipped, though) and almost gave up another out-of-position goal. Good enough to hold the fort, though.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Per wrote: We're looking at Scandinavian and North American conference finals to determine who gets to play in the gold medal game. Intriguing. So much for home court advantage. Putin must be royally pissed. :lol:
That Canada-USA game is going to be something.

I think Canada will be more comfortable with that one. The USA is arguably favoured at this point. The D will see more pressure, but the forwards should have more opportunity. Euro's like to have 5 guys at the crease, I don't think the Americans will be that desperate.

Everything went against Canada today. How they can allow video review, watch a Latvian player obviously deny a goal with his glove (penalty shot), and not call it, is beyond me. Given that it would've been a penalty shot, why not allow that to be reviewable? Either way, the ref at the net on that play must feel like quite the goat.

Glad we got it done, and I don't look at it as indicative of Canada vs. USA. That Latvian goalie played as well as any goalie could have played, and Canada has the best defence in the tournament. The USA might be the fastest team, but I'd wager Canada is the best team in the corners.

If it turns into a North-American style game, I like our chances.

I'll ask again: Why is Chris Kunitz still in the lineup? Tavares looks like he'll sit for the semi-finals, so no chance to remove Kunitz from the lineup... but that so-called chemistry with Crosby is a farce. He's been a boat-anchor, and has missed on multiple great chances. At this point, Kunitz does not deserve to be an Olympian. The USA game might be a greasy game for him to shine.... but so far there's no way Giroux or E. Staal could be worse.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Canada tied 1-1 with Latvia after 1. Totally outplaying them, but a big brain cramp by Bouwmeester gives Latvia a breakaway and it's tied.
What's Price's save percentage?

I know Lou's is 100%

But everybody is making excuses for Price when he belly-flops on the goal worse than Luongo ever did.

Just sayin...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Lancer wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Canada tied 1-1 with Latvia after 1. Totally outplaying them, but a big brain cramp by Bouwmeester gives Latvia a breakaway and it's tied.

I know Lou's is 100%

But everybody is making excuses for Price when he belly-flops on the goal worse than Luongo ever did.

Just sayin...
Yeah I'm not sure Luongo saves that one... Price did look to bobble the puck a few times, and made another cringe-worthy play behind the net. I was nervous whenever Latvia got a chance, but I'm not sure I would have felt any more comfortable with Lou.

The problem I have with TC choices, is that Luongo has been there and done that, and he never had the chance to "lose" his job as a starter. It was handed to Price. We know Price is a worse playoff goalie than Luongo, and far less decorated internationally. He might become more decorated with age, and he might not... but it's a huge risk for Babcock and one that will tarnish legacies if it doesn't work out.

We're not inside the room, and I think that is key. If the coaches think the team is more comfortable with Price in net they should go with him. The defensive side of the game certainly looks good. If our guys can't score, it's hardly the goalies problem...
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Lancer wrote:

I know Lou's is 100%

Just sayin...
94.12% (or .941 if you prefer that way of stating it), which has him in sixth place among starters.

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/388/IHM400000_85A_21_0.pdf
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lancer wrote: belly-flops
The belly flop was explained by a goaltending coach a couple of years ago as a last ditch attempt for a goaltender on his knees to get closer to a close in shooter with the effect of blocking more of the net. No different than an upright goaltender pushing off to outside the blue paint to give a shooter less net to shoot at.

It is a practised technique and I laugh when folks ignorantly criticize goaltenders for it.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The problem I have with TC choices, is that Luongo has been there and done that, and he never had the chance to "lose" his job as a starter. It was handed to Price. We know Price is a worse playoff goalie than Luongo, and far less decorated internationally. .
Lou lost his job with fatally shaky performances in 2009, 2010, and especially 2011 in Games 6 and 7.

You can't just look at save percentages to determine who's a better goalie.

As much as I love Lou the athlete and the human, and feel for the guy, the guy has had some spectacularly horrific meltdowns at the most crucial times.

Even during the 2010 Olympics, Luongo only looked slightly above average. Luckily, a past-his-prime Brodeur looked worse.

Price has his warts, but has been the better goalie than Lou this year.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises