Team Canada Sochi

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Puck
MVP
MVP

Re: Team Canada Sochi

Post by Puck »

It's funny.. he had a bad-looking shift that ended with a penalty (not really a 'bad' one, mind you), but he stepped out of the box and scored within seconds. 2 of his 3 goals were serious clean-up off Marleau's work, but we'll take those, won't we.

Duchene has some dangerous speed going on... hope we get to see more of that.

What's with Babcock only using 4 D (essentially) - was Subban THAT bad?

Agreed on Kunitz... he's dragging things down. If he doesn't get immediate results with Crosby, it's not worth it. Sit him.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Just read that Hamhuis and Sharp will be back in the lineup on Sunday. No word yet on who's coming out and whether or not Luongo gets the start.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Puck wrote: was Subban THAT bad?
Yes
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Puck wrote:Agreed on Kunitz... he's dragging things down. If he doesn't get immediate results with Crosby, it's not worth it. Sit him.
Exactly why Giroux should have made the team instead.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Team Canucks is Slovenia, at least compared to jersey colours.

But what a great game for their measurements. Kopitar was a beast possessed offensively and defensively... 26:50 icetime hey are you forward or defender? 3:1 against the Slovaks and it coul be more a 4:0 than the little surprising goal in the last minute or so. Nobody on the Slovaks looked like they're NHL Players hahaha Chara, Hossa, Halak KO.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cookie La Rue wrote:Team Canucks is Slovenia, at least compared to jersey colours.

But what a great game for their measurements. Kopitar was a beast possessed offensively and defensively... 26:50 icetime hey are you forward or defender? 3:1 against the Slovaks and it coul be more a 4:0 than the little surprising goal in the last minute or so. Nobody on the Slovaks looked like they're NHL Players hahaha Chara, Hossa, Halak KO.
The first real upset of the tournament! :D

The Swiss beating the Czechs and the Yanks beating Russia are surprises, but not really upsets.
We know the Swiss have great goaltending and play a tight defense. They've played three games and only allowed one goal against (their 1-0 loss to Sweden). On a good day they can cause trouble for anyone.
Likewise, the US has a good team. It's just that Canada and Russia are the favourites to win this tournament, so we sort of assume that Russia should win this game. But today they didn't. That's why we need to play the games. :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Looks like the crappy play of the Canucks in January got luongo out of the top spot.
Canada lineup changes for CAN-FIN.

Price to start, backed up by Luongo.

Hamhuis and Sharp in for Subban and St-Louis”
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Blech!

I'm perhaps foolishly a little surprised by this only because of the scheduling. Thought Babcock had the pundits fooled by giving Luongo the second, more difficult opponent - I don't know how the pundits considered a Norway a tougher challenge when they have a zero offence!

Nevertheless it's not too surprising. Price has been the (slightly) better goalie this year and is in a similar position to Luongo in 2010 in that he is knocking on the door for the chance. Best of luck to Carey!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

It should have been Lu. He played well enough against Austria to earn a chance to repeat. If he stumbled that is when they should have gone to Price. Only then. How many Olympic games has he won in a row, 6? We have 3 solid goalies imo, we could probably win with any of them between the pipes. Considering that, track record should have given Lu the next start. It's why Brodeur was given the US game in 2010. The NHL doesn't matter, this is a different game & a new season. Nevertheless, Price it is.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

ClamRussel wrote:It should have been Lu. He played well enough against Austria to earn a chance to repeat. If he stumbled that is when they should have gone to Price. Only then. How many Olympic games has he won in a row, 6? We have 3 solid goalies imo, we could probably win with any of them between the pipes. Considering that, track record should have given Lu the next start. It's why Brodeur was given the US game in 2010. The NHL doesn't matter, this is a different game & a new season. Nevertheless, Price it is.
Yep. This is another reason I was marginally surprised. Should have been Luongo's to run with until he faltered but hey, it's not exactly new territory for him. I have no doubt that if Price drops the ball, Luongo will be ready to go. I have no idea what to expect from Price but an opportunity is all he can ask for right now. Hope he runs with it.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Bad decision but who cares. I have the feeling we'll see Russia and USA again in the final.
Was a fuckin' hell of a game but what about this stupid penaltyshot rule that you can go on with the same player? Wtf ridiculous.... penaltyshot alone is dumb but this makes it a freak show.... :rofl:

Btw Michael "Austria" Grabner leads the scoring..... :shock:

and i fell in love with the 1st Gold medal winner from Czech, Eva Samkova, Boardercross
What a beauty with moustache....wow (check in Google, she's so hot...)
Last edited by Cookie La Rue on Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Roberto Dangerfield ...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

rockalt wrote:Yep. This is another reason I was marginally surprised. Should have been Luongo's to run with until he faltered but hey, it's not exactly new territory for him. I have no doubt that if Price drops the ball, Luongo will be ready to go. I have no idea what to expect from Price but an opportunity is all he can ask for right now. Hope he runs with it.
And I never got that "if Price drops the ball you know what Luongo gives you" BS that TSN has been spouting all morning. Why let it get that far? If you know what Luongo gives you, and you feel he is "safer" than Price, why not play him?

Not too shocked it played out this way, Price was the hotter goalie coming into the event, but Luongo was clearly the better goalie, in a tougher game, coming into this game. I don't know, but hopefully we don't have to see Price falter.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Island Nucklehead wrote:And I never got that "if Price drops the ball you know what Luongo gives you" BS that TSN has been spouting all morning.
Agreed. My only hope is the media will finally shut up about this. Luongo always seems to be at the centre of a goalie controversy, it seems!

Pretty tough game for any goalie today. The Finns play a great system but man is it boring! Tough break on the goal. Nothing you can really do about that but at least Price came back with the two saves shortly after.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Perhaps this is more indicative of how the coaching staff views the team in front of the goalies & their chances of winning it all. If they were confident you'd have to think they'd go w/ the reliable choice...instead they went w/ the home-run gamble. Price probably has the ability to steal a game for the team and both goalies are prone to melt-downs...but you look at 6 wins in a row, gold medal, shutout in the first game. Do or die.