Team Canada Sochi

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Team Canada Sochi

Post by Topper »

Price to start.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Topper wrote:Price to start.
Go Swiss!
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: I think the thought was to have a guy who has chemistry and experience playing with Sid the Kid.
Oh was that why?!

I was wondering about that one...thanks for clearing that up.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

With the weapons Team Canada has, they should not need to build the team around a single player like Crosby, including making concessions that will otherwise hurt the team.

Edit: It shouldn't really matter, but if we're going to nitpick about Team Canada's roster, Kunitz has to be the biggest questionable selection.

Slovenia beat Austria this morning and Russia squeaked by Norway (final score was 4-0, but Russia scored two EN goals). The Switzerland/Latvia and Czech/Slovakia games are starting now. Canada of course will play the winner of Switzerland/Latvia, with the USA playing the winner of the Czechs and Slovaks.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Latvia is leading Switzerland 2-0 midway through the first. A surprising start in this one as Latvia lost all three of it's preliminary games, while the Swiss won two of theirs. The Swiss have only scored two goals all tournament, so they certainly have their work cut out for them now.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

herb wrote:Latvia is leading Switzerland 2-0 midway through the first. A surprising start in this one as Latvia lost all three of it's preliminary games, while the Swiss won two of theirs. The Swiss have only scored two goals all tournament, so they certainly have their work cut out for them now.
Dang...

Go Latvia!!! :lol:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Yep. Czech's handling the Slovaks 4-1 near the end of the 2nd.

Looks like USA-Czech and Canada-Latvia... setting up for a possible Canada-USA semi-final on Friday. Yikes.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Latvia beating Switzerland is a big surprise. Latvia should be an easier opponent that Switzerland though for Team Canada.

The Czech's nearly blew a 4-1 lead, but managed to hang on.

Canada vs USA in the semis is obviously not an ideal scenario. USA should be a much more difficult opponent than any of Sweden, Russia, Finland and Slovenia.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

herb wrote:Latvia beating Switzerland is a big surprise. Latvia should be an easier opponent that Switzerland though for Team Canada.
I was not that surprised. They already played eachother in the group play and then the Swiss won 1-0 on a goal that went in off a Latvian player with seven seconds remaining on the clock. I was pretty sure the Latvians were eager for revenge and had gone through in detail why they lost last time.

That being said, I agree that the Swiss would have been a tougher opponent for Canada. They beat the Czechs 1-0 and only lost by one goal (also 1-0) against Sweden. Both Sweden and the Czechs had a hard time against the Swissbut not against Latvia. The Swiss plays world clas defence, with Hiller standing on his head in the crease. They don't score much, but Hiller keeps them in the game, and if they get a lucky bounce..... :shock:
In four games, the Swiss have only scored three goals and only allowed four. Three of those tonight.

Latvia. Got to love Latvia. A tiny little country that is very passionate about their hockey, and has a team (Dynamo Riga) in the KHL. Their fans are easy going, enthusiastic and support their team in thick or thin. What I also like is that they do not play the destructive hockey that eg Switzerland does. Sure, they will of course mainly play defence against Canada, but they'll try to attack any time they see a chance to. :)
herb wrote:Canada vs USA in the semis is obviously not an ideal scenario. USA should be a much more difficult opponent than any of Sweden, Russia, Finland and Slovenia.
You should have beaten Finland in regulation. Now you got a lower seed which messes up the playoffs. :hmmm:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Per wrote:I was not that surprised. They already played eachother in the group play and then the Swiss won 1-0 on a goal that went in off a Latvian player with seven seconds remaining on the clock. I was pretty sure the Latvians were eager for revenge and had gone through in detail why they lost last time.
A surprise, not a shock. The Swiss should be the better team.
Per wrote:Latvia. Got to love Latvia. A tiny little country that is very passionate about their hockey, and has a team (Dynamo Riga) in the KHL. Their fans are easy going, enthusiastic and support their team in thick or thin. What I also like is that they do not play the destructive hockey that eg Switzerland does. Sure, they will of course mainly play defence against Canada, but they'll try to attack any time they see a chance to. :)

I met some Latvians in Vancouver in 2010 who were great people. They were very friendly and they loved hockey.
Per wrote:You should have beaten Finland in regulation. Now you got a lower seed which messes up the playoffs. :hmmm:
Yes, we should have.

Canada vs USA, should it happen, will likely be a toss up. Both teams are pretty evenly matched. Canada is deeper and better on paper, but in a single game elimination tournament these two teams are probably pretty evenly matched (especially with all of Sweden's injuries).

I was hoping Canada would play Russia in this tournament, but I don't think we'll see Russia make it to the finals so not much hope of that happening now!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: I think the thought was to have a guy who has chemistry and experience playing with Sid the Kid.
Oh was that why?!

I was wondering about that one...thanks for clearing that up.
NP. :lol:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

So the Russians lost.

The coach apparently, brought up Ovechkin's lack of scoring (nothing since the opening game) in the presser afterwards without prompting. However he was lectured by some reporter about his line combinations, and in the Finland game had to be told by Geno to pull the goalie late in the game so they could try to get a goal.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dbr wrote:So the Russians lost.

The coach apparently, brought up Ovechkin's lack of scoring (nothing since the opening game) in the presser afterwards without prompting. However he was lectured by some reporter about his line combinations, and in the Finland game had to be told by Geno to pull the goalie late in the game so they could try to get a goal.
Way to throw your players under the bus... but he's right. Ovechkin and Malkin combining for 2 goals in the first 10 minutes of the tournament. Not enough. The team got up for the USA game, and I thought they were the better team in that one, but that was about it.

Canada tied 1-1 with Latvia after 1. Totally outplaying them, but a big brain cramp by Bouwmeester gives Latvia a breakaway and it's tied.

Can anyone tell my why Chris Kunitz is still playing in this tournament?
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Duchene benched. Ouch. I thought he looked good/decent. Shots currently 25 - 7. Good God.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

These latvians are making me nervous ...