World Juniors

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Knucklehead
CC Veteran

World Juniors

Post by Knucklehead »

Bo and Hunter get an invite to the selection camp, Gaunce does not.

Horvat in my opinion is a lock, Shinkaruk is a wild card in my opinion it will depend on how well he recovers from his hip injury and plays prior to the two forwards being cut.

Gaunce not being invited does not surprise me, Dutter didn't have good things to say about him after the summer camp and there are many similar players to him with a bit more flash.

Calpuck has gone balistic over none of their prospects making the cut :D although if Monahan is healthy and allowed to go he will probably have a great chance to make the team, almost a lock I would say.

Cassels should make team USA or at least have a very good shot at it.

Anybody know if we have any European prospects that will get a look?
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: World Juniors

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Knucklehead wrote:Anybody know if we have any European prospects that will get a look?
Not sure if he has a shot to make the Swedish squad, but Anton Cederholm is the only European prospect that qualifies for age.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

TSN said today that Monahan is not released to play in the WJC.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Sweden announced their selection camp roster - Anton Cederholm not invited.

Sweden Selection Camp Roster

excerpt:
Defence
Linus Arnesson - Djurgardens IF (SWE) (BOS 2013)
Ludwig Bystrom - Farjestads (SWE) (DAL 2012)
Lukas Bengtsson - Mora (SWE) (Undrafted)
Christian Djoos - Brynas IF (SWE) (WAS 2012)
Robert Hagg - MODO (SWE) (PHI 2013)
Arvid Lundberg - Skelleftea, (SWE) (Undrafted)
Robin Norell - Djurgardens (SWE) (CHI 2013)
Jesper Pettersson - Linkopings HC (SWE) (Undrafted)
Gustav Olofsson - Colorado College (NCAA) (MIN 2013)

S_C
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Druin may have suffered a concussion last night. Leaves have called up Lilles :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: so Reilly may or may not be available.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Canada 3 CIS Selects 0

excerpt:
There are 25 players in camp and the roster will be trimmed to 22 -- two goalies, seven defencemen and 13 forwards -- for the tournament. No cuts will be made until the squad gets to Sweden. They could come after the first pre-tournament game Dec. 20 against the Finns.

The juniors owned the puck against the Selects, a team put together from three university squads, and Sutter gave plenty of ice time to the unit of McDavid, 2014 draft prospect Sam Reinhart and left winger Hunter Shinkaruk.

Then there was the six-foot-two Anderson, a Columbus Blue Jackets prospect who plays by the Brian Burke buzzword "truculence." He not only dished out checks, but got a goal 15 seconds into the third period, picking the top corner behind Troy Passingham after a feed from behind the net from Rychel.

His line with Rychel and six-foot-four Frederik Gauthier also stood out.

"As the game went on, that line really got their legs under them," said Sutter. "They're all big guys that can skate.

"They play a heavy game. They get on the forecheck hard and they're smart. It's nice to have that size on your team and who play that way."

So two forwards will be cut - I wonder if Shinkaruk will make it?

Josh Anderson (CBJ 2012)
Jonathan Drouin (TAM 2013)
Frederik Gauthier (TOR 2013)
Felix Girard (NSH 2013)
Bo Horvat (VAN 2013)
Charles Hudon (MTL 2012)
Scott Laughton (PHI 2012)
Curtis Lazar (OTT 2013)
Taylor Leier (PHI 2012)
Anthony Mantha (DET 2013)
Connor McDavid (eligible for 2015 Draft)
Nicolas Petan (WPG 2013)
Sam Reinhart (eligible for 2014 Draft)
Kerby Rychel (CBJ 2013)
Hunter Shinkaruk (VAN 2013)

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Pre-tournament game

Canada 4 Finland 2

excerpt:
Bo Horvat, Mathew Dumba and Aaron Ekblad also scored for Canada. Connor McDavid added two assists.

Sounds like the line of Horvat-McDavid-Reinhart was strong. Shinkaruk is on the bubble for a forward spot.

S_C
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Shinkaruk is on the bubble for a forward spot.

S_C
Shinkaruk has been sent home, per TSN. Sounds like his hip injury has really slowed him down. Too bad for the kid, but he needs to get healthy and stronger. Chances are good he'll be on the squad next season (if he doesn't crack the Canucks line-up).
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

According to the TSN twitter feed, Shink's been cut as of today. Been reading some of the commentary and it's not exactly complimentary of Shink's play in the Hat - perimeter play and disinterested effort and all that. Wonder if that injury is still lingering or something else is coming into play because that's not what I saw of his pre-season and training camp. Call it a case of chicken little or a red flag but you have to wonder. Too bad for Shink, but hopefully this is a good bit of adversity for him and his development.

On the flip side, Bo knows he's in good for some prime ice time if he keeps this up. Guess he may well make people forget that other goaltender we had. :lol: Another reason to watch the WJHC this holiday season.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lancer wrote:According to the TSN twitter feed, Shink's been cut as of today. Been reading some of the commentary and it's not exactly complimentary of Shink's play in the Hat - perimeter play and disinterested effort and all that. Wonder if that injury is still lingering or something else is coming into play because that's not what I saw of his pre-season and training camp. Call it a case of chicken little or a red flag but you have to wonder. Too bad for Shink, but hopefully this is a good bit of adversity for him and his development.

On the flip side, Bo knows he's in good for some prime ice time if he keeps this up. Guess he may well make people forget that other goaltender we had. :lol: Another reason to watch the WJHC this holiday season.
Well, that's what you gotta hope for, this puts a bee in his bonnet. We will see what he is made of, he will either wilt or go on a vengeance and prove everyone wrong. It's adversity time for the kid. I just don't like some of the flaws I keep reading about his overall game that have me concerned, mainly not playing within the teams system, a bit of an individual out there on the ice, not using line-mates affectively. Hope he don't have the Keith Ballard reckless abandon syndrome.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Typical Dude.

Gillis goes for the safe pick: bitch about not having any balls.

Gillis goes for the dynamic offensive player: bitch about lack of all-round game.

You're a hoot, bud.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ahhh the early loss that motivates us for when it counts...

Usually followed by my in-laws premature gloat call from Sweden where I kindly remind them about 2002.
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Nice solid 3-0 win for Sweden in the dress rehearsal.

Some of the media is complaining though that we shouldn't play Canada right before the tournament, as it generally means we lose a player or two to injuries... This time it was Dumb'n'Dumba who took out Erik Karlsson with a nasty knee tackle. Both players left the ice without returning. Dumba will miss the first game of the tournament, still no word on how Karlsson is doing.

I don't know, I think it may be worth it though. It teaches them that they must be ready to take a beating to win. If we only played European teams before the tournament, they wouldn't know what to expect till it hit them in the semifinal or final. Now they know. And they know they can beat them. Cheers! :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

You specting accolades der per :mad:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:I just don't like some of the flaws I keep reading about his overall game that have me concerned, mainly not playing within the teams system, a bit of an individual out there on the ice, not using line-mates affectively. Hope he don't have the Keith Ballard reckless abandon syndrome.
Where are you reading this? I've heard the stuff about perimeter/indifferent play, but I would chalk that up to tentativeness and the lingering effects of his injuries. You'd figure with him being captain of the team that if he was exhibiting bad character traits like what you mention that Tiger management would have done something about it. From what I gather, they love the kid and his attitude - even after he was drafted.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.