World Juniors

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: World Juniors

Post by Meds »

Per wrote:6-0. Game, set and match Sweden! 8-)

Still a perfect record.

Now we have to take on the Russkies again while Canada plays Finland.
Yep. Perfect record. But just remember, there's only ONE game that really counts in that department. ;)

They definitely are a good looking team though. I don't want to say that Canada is a "lock" to beat Finland, but if (when) Sweden gets by Russia, those daisy wearing sonsobitches are gonna be awful tough to beat. :P
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So Sweden is through. More good luck than good management. That and goaltending.

That Swedish coach was behaving like a child at the end of the game.

Funny how the Swedish player who was racing from the penalty box to engage Mironov seemed to lose interest after eating a couple of punches. I wonder if there could be a suspension coming out of this melee.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

IIHF/European refs are garbage.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Island Nucklehead wrote:IIHF/European refs are garbage.
Amen brother.

That is such wimpy calls, the Euro refs should be replaced with bantam refs at least they will let the teams play hockey. I think there is too much soccer blood in them.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

What an absolute horseshit call on Drouin. The Finnish player ducks down when he sees someone coming towards him, Drouin finishes his check and the ref gives him a penalty for a headshot. If anything it could have been a charge but that would have been a shitty call as well. IIHF determined to pussify a great sport.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:What an absolute horseshit call on Drouin. The Finnish player ducks down when he sees someone coming towards him, Drouin finishes his check and the ref gives him a penalty for a headshot. If anything it could have been a charge but that would have been a shitty call as well. IIHF determined to pussify a great sport.
Eurotrash :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Fins have certainly been the better team today. Canada has yet to deserve to win the game. They haven't gotten the bounces, they certainly haven't gotten the reffing, and they've let their emotions get the better of them by focusing on the refs and not the game. Too much fancy, not enough drive.

Still plenty of time to turn it around, but it's not looking promising.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

wow, what complete bullshit, he hurt his hand?

Horvat played great, his tea mates, not so well

on to kill some pinkos!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Arachnid wrote:wow, what complete bullshit, he hurt his hand?
Yep. That Finn should quit now and move to nordic walking. What an embarrassing lack of testes.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I guess it's not a coincidence that some of the most talented players that Canada brought (Drouin, McDavid) are immature babies when facing adversity.

They should have been coached that the WJC refs are going to make questionable calls, and to ignore it and rise above - I think Sutter failed here. The team lost it's composure in several games during the tournament.

From a Canucks perspective, at least Horvat seemed more level-headed and mature.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: Eurotrash :evil:
Yeah, fuck 'em eh Spidey? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:What an absolute horseshit call on Drouin. The Finnish player ducks down when he sees someone coming towards him, Drouin finishes his check and the ref gives him a penalty for a headshot. If anything it could have been a charge but that would have been a shitty call as well. IIHF determined to pussify a great sport.
They are not playing by NHL rules, where you discuss intent and purpose and whether the player turned. They are playing by IIHF rules, which are simpler in this case. All checking to the head is illegal. Doesn't matter if the player is standing, crouching, sitting or lying down. If there is contact with the head, the hit is illegal. Simple as that.

The IIHF are serious about doing something to rid the game of concussions. Wish the NHL were as well.
Then again, at least the NHL now does have a rule against headshots, but a more complicated one, where some head shots are OK and others aren't.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I know what the rule is and it doesn't change the fact that it is a stupid rule. The guy crouched down when he saw someone coming . It was a cheap play on a dumb rule. Just like the fake injury on the penalty shot . Either way the Finns were full value for the win and Canada played like shit and got what they deserved
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So, I'm a bit disappointed. :|

I was looking forward to a Sweden vs Canada final.
We did our part, but Canada? Seriously. You lose 5-1 to Finland?

Sure, a game against Finland always has a bit of a derby feel to it, there's certainly a rivalry there, but I had really preferred to have Sweden square off against Canada in the final, and win.

Oh, well. I guess it is what it is. :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Per wrote:So, I'm a bit disappointed. :|

I was looking forward to a Sweden vs Canada final.
We did our part, but Canada? Seriously. You lose 5-1 to Finland?

Sure, a game against Finland always has a bit of a derby feel to it, there's certainly a rivalry there, but I had really preferred to have Sweden square off against Canada in the final, and win.

Oh, well. I guess it is what it is. :drink:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.