Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby Rumsfeld » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:12 pm

Assuming NHL'ers are invited to next year's Olympics (spoiler: they will be, fuckwit), who makes the cut for the good guys? Now obviously a lot will change in the next calendar year, but let's see which players the best Canucks board on the internet thinks will be clad in the hallowed red-and-white next winter.

Sure-fire forwards:

Crosby
Stamkos
Giroux
Toews


Probable forwards:

Nash
Marleau
Thornton
St. Louis


Sure-fire defencemen:

Weber
Letang
Doughty
Keith


Probable defencemen:

???

Sure-fire goaltenders:

Price

Probable goaltenders:

???

With so many good young players coming up it's really hard to know where things will stand by next December/January. The Americans will have Quick in net and the Russians will have the refs on their side, not to mention a front four composed of Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk and Kovalchuck. Sweden will be a pack of bedwetting pansies as usual, who gives a fuck what they put together.

Could Eberle and RNH be ready by then? Tavares? Make your picks and look like geniuses, folks.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby Rumsfeld » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:12 pm

I suppose you'd have to bring back Perry and Eric Staal up front. Mike Richards as a checker?

Awesome contributions so far BTW guys. :mad:
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby rats19 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:35 pm

It will happen rummy....lol
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby ukcanuck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:I suppose you'd have to bring back Perry and Eric Staal up front. Mike Richards as a checker?

Awesome contributions so far BTW guys. :mad:

Goal:
Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Marc-Andre Fleury

Defense:
Scott Niedermayer (C)
Chris Pronger (A)

Dan Boyle
Shea Weber
Duncan Keith
Brent Seabrook
Drew Doughty

Forward:
Sidney Crosby (A)
Jarome Iginla (A)
Rick Nash
Dany Heatley
Ryan Getzlaf
Patrice Bergeron
Brendan Morrow
Patrick Marleau
Joe Thornton
Mike Richards
Jonathon Toews
Eric Staal
Corey Perry

it might be easier to pick out who isnt or maybe should be back?
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2307
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby dbr » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:44 am

You've got to think Alex Pietrangelo gets a good long look.

As for other blueliners, depending on what he does this year and next fall a guy like PK Subban might seem like an interesting choice to play on the big ice surface.

Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were 7th and 12th in scoring among Canadian defensemen last year.. :look:

Among forwards I could see guys like Giroux and Eberle getting serious consideration, although I'm sure some part of that would involve how well they could be expected to fill non-scoring roles.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2486
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:43 am

ukcanuck wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:I suppose you'd have to bring back Perry and Eric Staal up front. Mike Richards as a checker?

Awesome contributions so far BTW guys. :mad:

Goal:
Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Marc-Andre Fleury

Defense:
Scott Niedermayer (C)
Chris Pronger (A)

Dan Boyle
Shea Weber
Duncan Keith
Brent Seabrook
Drew Doughty

Forward:
Sidney Crosby (A)
Jarome Iginla (A)
Rick Nash
Dany Heatley
Ryan Getzlaf
Patrice Bergeron
Brendan Morrow
Patrick Marleau
Joe Thornton
Mike Richards
Jonathon Toews
Eric Staal
Corey Perry

it might be easier to pick out who isnt or maybe should be back?


Doubt Getzlaf and Bergeron are back. Boyle is still a great offensive defenseman but I'd go with a younger guy.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 am

dbr wrote:You've got to think Alex Pietrangelo gets a good long look.

As for other blueliners, depending on what he does this year and next fall a guy like PK Subban might seem like an interesting choice to play on the big ice surface.

Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were 7th and 12th in scoring among Canadian defensemen last year.. :look:

Among forwards I could see guys like Giroux and Eberle getting serious consideration, although I'm sure some part of that would involve how well they could be expected to fill non-scoring roles.


You think Giroux MIGHT make it Dave? Dude, the guy is a lock, he's probably the third most talented forward in Canada right now (Crosby and Stamkos 1 and 2).

Totally agree about Pietrangelo. Subban is too wild to be trusted in a one-game elimination methinks.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby dbr » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:58 pm

You know I thought he was off to a much worse start this year but yeah, assuming he returns to form and puts up another great season he probably has a lock on one of those top two lines (meaning nobody's going to be tempted to cut him for a Patrice Bergeron, Mike Richards type).
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2486
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby SKYO » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Because these international tournaments are so short, getting players who already have chemistry together already is extremely beneficial. Like Stamkos/StLouis, Getzlaf/Perry, Keith/Seabrook

NASH - CROSBY - GIROUX
E STAAL - STAMKOS - ST LOUIS (OR EBERLE if JE is playing on fire next season)
TOEWS - GETZLAF - PERRY (Chose Getzlaf because Canada needs at least one big bruiser with skill up front+can play well with Perry)
M RICHARDS - BERGERON - TAVARES
SPEZZA (Tonnes of great international experience, good size/skating ability, superstar skills)

Potential:
LECAVALIER, SEGUIN, THORNTON, MARLEAU, J STAAL, SKINNER, CONACHER, COUTURE, B RICHARDS, HALL, NUGENT-HOPKINS, HENRIQUE, SHARP, LUCIC, E KANE, HEATLEY, NEAL, DUCHESNE, ZAJAC, J CARTER, CLARKSON

DOUGHTY - WEBER
KEITH - SEABROOK
LETANG - PIETRANGELO
M STAAL

Potential:
PK SUBBAN, BOYLE, GREEN, MYERS

LUONGO
PRICE
WARD

Potential:
FLEURY
ELLIOTT
Last edited by SKYO on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby Strangelove » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Anyone catch the Leaf/Habs After Forty segment on HNIC last night?

Seems Ron MacLean is trying to make amends with we Canuckers!

They were talking about who should make the cut for a few minutes. Near the end Rotten Ronny says "You know, the Canucks don't get respect. They have left-hand and right-hand guys Hamhuis and Bieksa on defense.... and a great two-way forward in Alexandre Burrows who should get consideration."

:shock:

The other panel members were trying to look at him as though he's NOT crazy.... without success. They didn't comment. You just knew they felt sorry for him. It was like watching a man who had dug a huge hole for himself desperately trying to scramble out... but failing.

Poor fucker must've read Dave's post above and taken it seriously...

Keep trying Ronny! :lol:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7028
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby Per » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:Sweden will be a pack of bedwetting pansies as usual, who gives a fuck what they put together.

There were many that thought once Sweden's "golden generation" (Sundin, Lidström, Forsberg, Alfredsson...) retired, we'd have a hard time finding some one to fill their skates. But look around the NHL now, and it's an embarassment of riches! Last year the Vezina went to Lundqvist, the Norris to Karlsson and the Calder to Landeskog. Colorado, Detroit, Ottawa and Vancouver all have Swedish captains. Here's my suggestion to who may get the nod:

Forwards:
Daniel Sedin -  Henrik Sedin - Viktor Stålberg
Henrik Zetterberg - Nicklas Bäckström - Johan Franzén
Loui Eriksson - Patrik Berglund -  Daniel Alfredsson
Gabriel Landeskog -  Alex Steen - Jakob  Silfverberg
(  Zibanejad, Backlund, Hörnqvist )

Not sure Alfredsson will still be around, but my bet is that he will.

Defence:
Niklas Kronwall (L) - Erik Karlsson (R)
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (L) - Tobias Enström (L)
Alexander Edler (L) - Viktor Hedman (L)
Douglas Murray (L) - Adam Larsson (R)
( Oduya, Ericsson, Hjalmarsson )

A lack of righties, which is why I pick Larsson over eg Hjalmarsson or Ericsson.
Murray is not as skilled as some of the others, but we may need him when playing the North American teams.
Helps them remember to play by the code.

Goalies:
Henrik Lundqvist
Victor Fasth
Jonas Lehner
(Lindbäck, Hedberg)

Lindbäck and Hedberg carry a bigger load and may have more experience, but Fasth and Lehner have better stats and will want to prove themselves. Lundqvist is of course the unquestionable starter.

Not so bad, imho. Prepare yourselves for getting your ass handed to you by a pack of bedwetting pansies! :drink:
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1773
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby Benjo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Sure-fire forwards:

Crosby
Stamkos
Giroux
Toews

Probable forwards:

Nash
Marleau
Thornton
St. Louis
Perry
Tavares
Staal
Bergeron

Possibilities
Hall




Sure-fire defencemen:

Weber
Letang
Doughty
Keith
Seabrook
Probable defencemen:

???

Sure-fire goaltenders:

Price

Probable goaltenders:

Luongo
Brodeur
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Per wrote:Forwards:
Daniel Sedin -  Henrik Sedin - Viktor Stålberg
Henrik Zetterberg - Nicklas Bäckström - Johan Franzén
Loui Eriksson - Patrik Berglund -  Daniel Alfredsson
Gabriel Landeskog -  Alex Steen - Jakob  Silfverberg
(  Zibanejad, Backlund, Hörnqvist )

Not sure Alfredsson will still be around, but my bet is that he will.

Defence:
Niklas Kronwall (L) - Erik Karlsson (R)
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (L) - Tobias Enström (L)
Alexander Edler (L) - Viktor Hedman (L)
Douglas Murray (L) - Adam Larsson (R)
( Oduya, Ericsson, Hjalmarsson )

A lack of righties, which is why I pick Larsson over eg Hjalmarsson or Ericsson.
Murray is not as skilled as some of the others, but we may need him when playing the North American teams.
Helps them remember to play by the code.

Goalies:
Henrik Lundqvist
Victor Fasth
Jonas Lehner
(Lindbäck, Hedberg)

Not so bad, imho. Prepare yourselves for getting your ass handed to you by a pack of bedwetting pansies! :drink:


Umm, are you really incapable of seeeing how shitty that team is compared to this hypothetical one?

Giroux Crosby Nash
Benn St.Louis Stamkos
Perry Getzlaf E.Stall
Bergeron Toews Tavares -- M.Richards Hall Eberle Thornton Marleau Duchene, etc...

Weber Letang
Keith Doughty
Pietrangelo Subban Seabrook

Price
Ward

Seriously, half your team wouldn't even be considered for the Red and White if they'd been born here instead of your frozen commie shithole.

The again, you don't actually watch NHL games, so I guess you think guys like Alfredsson and Steen and Murray are world class players.

LOL @ your third and fourth lines, there are NHL teams with better depth than that. :lol: The 2010 Blackhawks would be unimpressed.

The forwards that will be left off the Canadian roster would probably comprise a group that would hand you your yellow little asses. Lundquist is your only hope and when Crosby is feeding Stamkos on our first unit PP it won't matter how good your incredibly gay goalie is.

As an aside, are you going to continue pretending you're a Canucks fan when the Sedins retire? Please don't. :)
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby Uncle dans leg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:
Per wrote:Not so bad, imho. Prepare yourselves for getting your ass handed to you by a pack of bedwetting pansies! :drink:


Umm, are you really incapable of seeeing how shitty that team is compared to this hypothetical one?


:lol:

You did ask for it Per
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: Sochi 2014: Who Makes the Cut?

Postby Per » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:49 am

Rumsfeld wrote:As an aside, are you going to continue pretending you're a Canucks fan when the Sedins retire? Please don't. :)


The Sedins didn't make me a Canucks fan. Patrik Sundström did, and yeah, I've stayed with this team after he retired.

You can marry and divorce as many times as you like, but you don't switch teams. :drink:
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1773
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Next

Return to Team Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron