GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host fish - 7:30

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

cjc
CC Veteran

Re: GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host fish - 7:30

Post by cjc »

The loser of this series should go kaboom. However, my faith in Gillis is being undermined. He has a loyalty to players (after being screwed himself) where I think he hands out big contracts to many that don't pan out. Is it bad luck or bad signings? If it's bad signings then, crap, we're in for some tough years ahead. Maybe he doesn't have vision like I thought.

More later, need to change my Depends, feeling a bit heavy.

P.S. Kesler's fragility is worrying. Great player but now becoming injury-prone?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Glad Luongo played well.

AV needs to be fired if he can't open his eyes and go with what works in terms of chemistry on his forward lines.
He's always mishmashing lines and hoping for the best a lot of the times.

And we need ODB to create a GDT, iirc he brought some luck every post season gdt.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:Glad Luongo played well.

AV needs to be fired if he can't open his eyes and go with what works in terms of chemistry on his forward lines.
He's always mishmashing lines and hoping for the best a lot of the times.
Yeah. That has been one of the players knocks on him that we have heard about. It's getting more noticeable too. In 2010-11 ,and some of the 2011-12 season, I think we saw the team buying in and playing the system together.....and it worked. But once the gameplan was old and tired and the secret of the Canucks playbook was out, the gameplan started to fail because opponents were ready for everything. The neutral drop pass was no longer effective, the little drop pass inside the blueline along the boards became predictable, where forwards would setup and where they would fill lanes became obvious and expected. But Vigneault held to his guns, "If we play our game and stick to the system we'll win and get it done". But it became harder and harder to do it, and good scoring chances became fewer and farther between, looks at the net stopped happening, shots got blocked more, the breakout was stuffed, the PP completely nullified.....and nothing changed. So the players started to try and adjust a bit themselves, a few of them anyhow. And when they did, they found some success, so then those players that were starting to generate chances, having good games, and getting some points, well they found themselves shuffled around the lineup in an attempt to spark the rest of the team. That failed in epic fashion as their new linemates were often in the wrong place for a pass, misreading each other, a disaster on ice as it were.

Tonight that was painfully obvious. Roy back on a line with Higgins. Well they have chemistry, but their other winger was lost most of the time. So many passes that would have generated a rush went into empty space because the intended recipient was elsewhere, gone on a change, skating up the other side, dropping back instead of attacking, it was a complete cluster-fuck. More and more you can see that these guys aren't getting much in the way of chemistry as consistent lines.

I also got a kick out of the presser with Roy the other day, when asked about fitting in to this team and their game his answer was beyond vague. It was like he didn't have a clue what to say other than "puck possession" and "score off of possession".....Gave the impression that a new player thinks this "system" makes no sense and nobody is sure exactly what they should be doing on offense.

AV's post-game was good too. "We have to be better". No shit. At least he acknowledged that the only goal they scored was pushed in by a San Jose player during a scrum. I wish reporters had the balls to pin him to the wall.

-Why aren't you getting players to the net for second shot opportunities? Why only the one man? No backdoor attacker....

-Why do the Sedins slow the PP down so much and give up golden looks at the net in favor of a pass?

-Why is Edler given so many chances to screw up with the puck?

-What exactly is plan B on the PP when the PK'ers take away the setup pass for Garrison's one-timer? Or is there one?

-Why have so many teams gotten some real good looks at the net against the PK?

-Why do you seem to have so much trouble getting your shots through to the net?

-Why can't you seem to coordinate a breakout under pressure? Why is the stretch pass continually forced when it's not there?

I'd love to see Chuckles squirm a little up there and finally end the presser.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Really liked the pre-game credit given to Luongo by the Sharks.

Liked McLellan's post-game too.....nod to Luongo for shutting the door early when the Sharks had the momentum.

I'm a bit curious about the "good looks" that he said the Canucks got. :lol:
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Hate to say it but Sharks a sweep, i hate hockey too....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

vic wrote:
The two coaches you mentioned have cup rings.
Understood vicster, but this isn't a phenomenon. Most head coaches do not run the special teams, it's a job usually held by the assistance. Your case building against AV on this is as weak.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:Nothing but crickets from Royal Tuna all day

Canucks lose and immediately RD posts 7 almost consecutive comments
Shit, I'd a post more if I knew you were following my every move like this.

But if my postings after losses cranks your panties up your crack I will try to equal this amount after a win for ya Margeret Thatcher. You happy now?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Nothing but crickets from Royal Tuna all day

Canucks lose and immediately RD posts 7 almost consecutive comments
Shit, I'd a post more if I knew you were following my every move like this.

But if my postings after losses cranks your panties up your crack I will try to equal this amount after a win for ya Margeret Thatcher. You happy now?
I dunno what it is dude, you're almost as hard to figure out as the Canucks themselves...
2011 you only post after a loss and I can't remember one positive post of yours ever since...
Its like you revel in it when they shit the bed and yet you're a fan?

You really must have gimp suit in the closet, complete with the red ball, hot wax and razor blades huh?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:

You really must have gimp suit in the closet, complete with the red ball, hot wax and razor blades huh?
Sounds like you are experienced in this area. But not surprised, the UK is the gimp capital of the world.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Cookie La Rue wrote:Hate to say it but Sharks a sweep, i hate hockey too....
Hang on Cookie! Don't fall off the wagon so quick! it's only game one we can still win one, its the San Jose Sharks for Gawds sake...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Meh, from what I remember of the game...they were neither good nor bad, Sharks didn't dominate them. Canucks (and their fans) seem to have no passion this year. Is it the lock-out? The water?
It's a long series and anything can happen (including the return of Chris, Cory & David :D ).
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ukcanuck wrote:
Hang on Cookie! Don't fall off the wagon so quick! it's only game one we can still win one, its the San Jose Sharks for Gawds sake...
:lol: I don't know if the bandwagon even left this year... :(
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Arachnid wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
:lol: I don't know if the bandwagon even left this year... :(

i agree...its just not happening for me this season...i am still pissed about the lockout..and fuck all being accomplished from it...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

People are struggling to go to a first round playoff game because a) the team hasn't looked great all year and b) fans, like myself, are tired of being anal raped on tickets. I took a look at tickets the other day, and a $75 regular season ticket was $180. Compared tickets in Boston and Vancouver on stubhub yesterday afternoon, and a $65 ticket in Boston is $115 here. It's just too expensive unless you're a six figure DINK.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:People are struggling to go to a first round playoff game because a) the team hasn't looked great all year and b) fans, like myself, are tired of being anal raped on tickets. I took a look at tickets the other day, and a $75 regular season ticket was $180. Compared tickets in Boston and Vancouver on stubhub yesterday afternoon, and a $65 ticket in Boston is $115 here. It's just too expensive unless you're a six figure DINK.
Peasant!