GDT: Canucks vs Red Wings 19:00 PST - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Red Wings 19:00 PST - CBC

Post by Benjo »

Hank wrote:What, like Edler and Alberts isn't a recipe for disaster?

Gee, how did Cleary get so open for a breakaway?

HAVEN'T YOU HEARD?? RAINBOWS FLY OUT THE WINGS FUCKIN ASS
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

LapDawg!!! :D
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I think we just clinched, ass opposed to just made it in...

Headline will read;

Stinkbombs from large fresh water deep lake are going to win at least two rounds after 6 tries
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya we clinched a spot but it doesn't feel exciting yet does it?
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya we clinched a spot but it doesn't feel exciting yet does it?
It does, that game had a bit more to it, now for 2 points to solidify our 3rd, hey maybe even 2nd eh?! ;)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Lousy team play wins with great goaltending.. Just hoping this doesn't continue into the playoffs
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Tiger wrote:Lousy team play wins with great goaltending.. Just hoping this doesn't continue into the playoffs
A win is a win. I care less how they win it
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

That was an ugly win.

Totally out-shot by Detroit. Schneider wins another one for them.

The only defensive pairing worth noting was Garrison and whoever he was on with.....even he had one pretty bad give away in his own zone. At least he recovered very quickly.

Edler scored a goal, but he was otherwise pretty lousy.....though it was possibly one of his better games manning the point in quite some time.

Offense was anemic. The Sedins should just NOT be out on the PP, they slow it down way too much. The 5-on-3 could have been so much better if they hadn't stalled it a couple of times trying to make the pretty play from the side of the net.

Speaking of the 5-on-3. What is with the Canucks mentality of holding onto the puck when the ref signals a delayed penalty that will put them into the 2 man advantage situation? Turn it the over right away and maximize the time of 5-on-3 play. I know some argue that they extend the PP time, and that it's still a 2 man advantage with the goalie out for the extra attacker.....but 4 defenders can still choke up the middle and block shots much easier than 3 can. 5-on-3 gives the offense so many more options. Especially at the point for setting up one-timers and closing in to make them count. I don't know how many times I have watched them have a chance for almost a full minute of 5-on-3 but hold the puck, generate nothing, and by the time the whistle goes they only end up with about 10 seconds of the 2-man-advantage PP. The 5-on-4 can't do anything, so it's just a waste.

I will say, that despite our abysmally low shot total, the team did generate some pretty good chances tonight. A post, shot wide a few times, but some decent opportunities.

I can't say I'm in love with Daniel's telegraphed slapshots on the rush. WTF is that?
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Just finished watching the whole game on demand and fell asleep 3 times , even Lapierre's shootout goal i thought was a slo-mo but hey it was real time.......this one was for the army, no, losers of Sasketchewan. Both teams weren't exactly sharp and bored everybody to death. Maybe it has to do with the crowd at the arena, Donelly giving it all but the audience sounding like a kindergarten choir at a funeral... where's the switch? :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

In Japan for a week and see dumb ass AV is up to his usual tricks.

Edler after having brain fart galore in some many games gets rewarded with 27 mins of ice time and Ballard gets 8.

The only exciting thing here is an earth quake that went on for 20 seconds, a small one here but back in Vancouver all the local media would be talking about the next one and then trying to sell preparedness kits.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote:That was an ugly win.

Totally out-shot by Detroit. Schneider wins another one for them.

The only defensive pairing worth noting was Garrison and whoever he was on with.....even he had one pretty bad give away in his own zone. At least he recovered very quickly.

Edler scored a goal, but he was otherwise pretty lousy.....though it was possibly one of his better games manning the point in quite some time.

Offense was anemic. The Sedins should just NOT be out on the PP, they slow it down way too much. The 5-on-3 could have been so much better if they hadn't stalled it a couple of times trying to make the pretty play from the side of the net.
I will say, that despite our abysmally low shot total, the team did generate some pretty good chances tonight. A post, shot wide a few times, but some decent opportunities.

I can't say I'm in love with Daniel's telegraphed slapshots on the rush. WTF is that?
The new reality in the NHL is that you don't go far in the playoffs without elite level goaltending, so it's encouraging to see that Schneids can absolutely steal games for them

Without our right shooting D (Bieksa, Tanev) the defense really looks inept.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Ballard tweaked his back during the fight and didn't return ... thus only 8 minutes...Barker didn't play much after that either...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I didn't think the Canucks played that bad...as some here seem to think, although they definitely didn't play great by any stretch of the imagination. The Wings shots were mostly kept to the outside and the patchwork defense cleared the crease adequately on the rebounds. Not great, just adequate enough to squeak out the win.

Detroit were playing for their lives vs the Canucks were just playing...and it showed in the desperation of the 2 teams. It must be difficult to manufacture desperation when you know you are cool and in the dance. The Canucks took that point off of a Wings team that really needed it and they now more or less need to win out to qualify.

Andrew Alberts has played much better this year than in the past and has really amped up his strength and conditioning if I'm not mistaken. He is definitely needed in the line up against bigger teams and his play of late should land hm some ice time in the post season.

Cam Barker should be watching from above. He's brutal in his own zone.

Edler is an enigma. Great shot, lays out some massive hits when it really matters and can cover alot of ground with his strides. He is prone to inexplicable gaffs however and should definitely be paired with a stay at home type to balance out the risk and reward. That hit on Johan was huge.

Garrison is our most complete defender. Hands down.

Ballard is an asset who deserves to be in this line up as a #6 unless someone better than Barker come along. You can't question his compete level. He battles and will do what it takes to stand up for himself and his team mates.

On to the Blah-cocks now. I know where I'll be Monday at 7!
If you need air...call it in
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

So yeah, can we take a moment here to remember the old days when making the playoffs was a towering achievement and people would be planning how to call in sick or wire up a big screen out by the hot tub or whatever just to watch what most likely would be four extra games to the season?

maybe remember thinking that if the goalie stood on his fucking head and made saves with his ear and pinky and maybe they caught the favourite team napping in game one, we might by some ungodly luck stretch it out to a game seven.

maybe hoping against bope the cup favourites laid an egg under the pressure so it might open up a shot at finals...

Or heading out to fraser valley duck and goose for chicken blood and bones to make make voodoo dolls of hated enemy players??.....maybe that was just me.... :-1

Anyway the point I'm trying to make here is that there seems to be an awful lot of spoiled ass mofos who are looking down some long ass noses at a pretty damn good hockey club that has done fucking plenty for some mother fucking support...!

Make the playoffs.....hohum....shakes head :evil:
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I didn't think the Canucks played that bad...as some here seem to think, although they definitely didn't play great by any stretch of the imagination. The Wings shots were mostly kept to the outside and the patchwork defense cleared the crease adequately on the rebounds. Not great, just adequate enough to squeak out the win.

Detroit were playing for their lives vs the Canucks were just playing...and it showed in the desperation of the 2 teams. It must be difficult to manufacture desperation when you know you are cool and in the dance. The Canucks took that point off of a Wings team that really needed it and they now more or less need to win out to qualify.

Andrew Alberts has played much better this year than in the past and has really amped up his strength and conditioning if I'm not mistaken. He is definitely needed in the line up against bigger teams and his play of late should land hm some ice time in the post season.

Cam Barker should be watching from above. He's brutal in his own zone.

Edler is an enigma. Great shot, lays out some massive hits when it really matters and can cover alot of ground with his strides. He is prone to inexplicable gaffs however and should definitely be paired with a stay at home type to balance out the risk and reward. That hit on Johan was huge.

Garrison is our most complete defender. Hands down.

Ballard is an asset who deserves to be in this line up as a #6 unless someone better than Barker come along. You can't question his compete level. He battles and will do what it takes to stand up for himself and his team mates.

On to the Blah-cocks now. I know where I'll be Monday at 7!
There were some baaaad examples of defensive zone coverage last night. Part of it was due to a desperate team which still has some pretty skilled players, but boy oh boy I'm not overly comfy with how they're playing in their zone lately. Then again, you put Barker out there and you may as well take a couple slugs and accept the fire drill.

Garrison is really starting to make me forget about some fragile Finn we use different to see play in Vancouver. Edler's wasn't that consistently bad last night, but his gaffes just canceled out what good plays he made out there. Still, I'm liking how he's laying the body out there lately. People carp about Garrison not being on the 1st PP unit, but if Edler's can keep getting pucks on net like last time I don't see why AV can't go with 2 strong PP units instead of loading up just one.

They made it in at least, now it's time to use the time left to gear up for the real season. Just get in and let the chips fall where they may.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.