GDT: Canucks vs Red Wings 19:00 PST - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

GDT: Canucks vs Red Wings 19:00 PST - CBC

Post by Meds »

Detroit is in a battle for their playoff lives just like Dallas was the other night. Currently the Red Wings are sitting 2 points out of 8th in the West behind Columbus, but they hold 2 games in hand. So going into this game tonight it is safe to say that they need this more that the Canucks do. It would be nice to see the Canucks play spoiler against the Red Wings and make them sweat some serious bullets for a change and burn one of those games they hold over the Blue Jackets.

But will we see the team we need to see? I realize there are still some injuries and this team won't be coming out with the full roster that we hope to see in the first round. But I would really like to see some defensemen, other than Alberts and Garrison, actually show up with some intensity and poise and give a full 60 minute effort.

The Sedins need to wake up and do something other than pass the puck around the perimeter and thumb their nose at good scoring chances.

Breakout needs to be better under pressure.

Those are the keys to the game, IMHO.

My question is: Does this game count as one where we can judge the team against a "worthy" opponent? I mean, we're down to 4 games remaining, and while some prefer to see us play injury free and pass it off as a game against a desperate team, every team will be desperate come the playoffs, and I for one think it is high time this team started playing desperate hockey in return.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Red Wings 19:00 PST - CBC

Post by TDA Rum »

I hope they put Joslin in for Barker as he has been brutal...Joslin couldn't be any worse....plus he is a right handed shot..
Last edited by TDA Rum on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Higgins will not dress. Was hopeful he could go today but after yesterday's skate he woke up this a.m. a little sore. He is being kept out as a precaution. Tanev and Bieksa still out.

One point and the Canucks secure a playoff spot. I'd say a pretty important game for them. The sooner they can lock up a playoff spot the more they can rest players that need it, and allow Higgins another week if they can.

They must have cap issues if they are not calling anyone els up to play on D.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Its time this Canucks team played 100% for 3 periods.. Joslin may replace either Ballard or Barker.. Not much time to try him out so hopefully he has a decent game. I would suggest that this game is pivotal. It gives us breathing room on top of the division or opens the gates for Minnie to catch up.. The following 2 games are against a lot better and rougher opponents.. Detroit is a skilled team but not noted for its tough play so the Sedins line has a good chance to score a couple goals.
so,, 4-2 Canucks..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Tiger wrote:Its time this Canucks team played 100% for 3 periods.. Joslin may replace either Ballard or Barker.
If Joslin replaces Ballard, and Barker stays in the lineup, Vigneault just reaffirms my belief that he's an idiot.

Barker is slow and soft. He adds nothing to this team. Ballard, however, adds attitude, speed, and some skill. Both are defensive liabilities at times, though Ballard not as bad as Barker. Ballard plays with an edge, and when that edge is controlled he is a very good addition in the 5/6 spot.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

If (and it's a big if) the Canucks show up tonight, this could be a great game. It's on NHL-US tonight, so hopefully I'll get to enjoy more than 20 minutes of hockey.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Here's to getting the puck out :cheers:

and no more chinese fire drills
If you need air...call it in
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I am feeling it!

Happy 4 20 everybody! :mrgreen:

:mex:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Arachnid wrote:I am feeling it!

Happy 4 20 everybody! :mrgreen:

:mex:
I had to quit 3 weeks ago for impending piss test. Don't rub it in
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Mëds said:
If Joslin replaces Ballard, and Barker stays in the lineup, Vigneault just reaffirms my belief that he's an idiot.
Dunno.. but stats say.. Ballard 33 games.. 2 assists .. +/- 0, Barker 19 games ..2 assists..+/- +2

Both got brain farts .. Barker a little better offensively ..Ballard a faster player.. So its a sawoff :) coaches choice ? :)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

No change to the line up. But AV has gone back to Kassian/Kesler/Raymond on the 2nd line, about time. Roy to centre the third line with Hansen and ??
The only HW the Canucks need
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Mëds.. we are both pissed off.. No Joslin and Ballard and Barker the third pairing . ( 1040 reporting ) a recipe for disaster :(
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

WHAT??? LIDSTROM RETIRED? I DIDN'T CATCH THAT FROM THE FIRST 2 GAMES VS DETROIT!!

WHAT DATSYUK IS GOOD?? ALSO NEW TO ME

THANKS CBC
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Benjo wrote:WHAT??? LIDSTROM RETIRED? I DIDN'T CATCH THAT FROM THE FIRST 2 GAMES VS DETROIT!!

WHAT DATSYUK IS GOOD?? ALSO NEW TO ME

THANKS CBC
no shit eh. Whats next....a glowing puck? At least we were spared Kelly Hrudey...
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

What, like Edler and Alberts isn't a recipe for disaster?

Gee, how did Cleary get so open for a breakaway?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!