GDT: Canucks vs Red Wings 19:00 PST - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Red Wings 19:00 PST - CBC

Post by Potatoe1 »

Reefer2 wrote: Not many players would be good with what AV did to Ballard.
What did he "do" to him ?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Maybe he hates sticking up for even bigger Douche Bags in Drew "Crybaby" Doughty, Dustin "Turtle after I cheap shot your star" Brown and Mike "I give it a good 10%" Richards.
It doesn't matter what the guys you mentioned are like. It's the job of every player to honor their contract and give it all for their team.

Mitchell has been cleared to play for months, and won't, however when free agency rolls around you can pretty much guarentee he will declare himself healthy and ready to play.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Mitchell has been cleared to play for months, and won't, however when free agency rolls around you can pretty much guarentee he will declare himself healthy and ready to play.
I've heard this before... if it's true, shouldn't LA have some recourse/grievance to file? I totally agree, if a player is healthy, he should be playing. The salary is fair compensation for the risks/damage to the body.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Potatoe1 wrote:
It is not worth explaining to you, if you cant see it nothing I say will make you see it.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Reefer2 wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
It is not worth explaining to you, if you cant see it nothing I say will make you see it.

LOL great debate here Reef...
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Whose debating, if you honestly don't think AV played mind games with Ballard and few others then we have been watching 2 different teams over the past few years.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Reefer2 wrote:Whose debating, if you honestly don't think AV played mind games with Ballard and few others then we have been watching 2 different teams over the past few years.
How on earth would you or I know if AV played mind games with anyone?

What do "mind games" look like on a TV screen?

As far as Ballard goes,,, If you cant see after watching him for 120+ games that he just isn't a very good player, I don't know what to tell you.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Potatoe1 wrote:[
As far as Ballard goes,,, If you cant see after watching him for 120+ games that he just isn't a very good player, I don't know what to tell you.
I guess we can finally all agree(hopefully) that he's not the second coming of Brian Rafalski
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:What did he "do" to him ?

LOL great debate here Reef...
iodine, iodine, iodine

when in Rome......
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I was a Ballard defender, but he sucks, plain and simple. Alberts (who is playing very well) has surpassed him on the depth chart. Ballard has been less effective than Barker as well.

As for what happened to Ballard, who knows. Maybe he never was any good and had inflated stats due to him playing on weak teams. Maybe he got fat and lazy after his big payday. I remembered him being a pain in the ass to play against when he was in Phoenix. Now, he just sucks. He's playing so badly now that he'll undoubtedly have to be bought out. We would be very lucky to find anybody willing to eat that contract.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

herb wrote:I was a Ballard defender, but he sucks, plain and simple. Alberts (who is playing very well) has surpassed him on the depth chart. Ballard has been less effective than Barker as well.

As for what happened to Ballard, who knows. Maybe he never was any good and had inflated stats due to him playing on weak teams. Maybe he got fat and lazy after his big payday. I remembered him being a pain in the ass to play against when he was in Phoenix. Now, he just sucks. He's playing so badly now that he'll undoubtedly have to be bought out. We would be very lucky to find anybody willing to eat that contract.
He can be effective when allowed to come across the blue line and his hip check can change a series but in VCR he has never been allowed to do that.
Tanev being so steady as a partner opens up this option for him but he needs to have the coaches blessing. If we play St. Louis, his hate for Backes could lead to some sweet splashes!!!
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Hey, I'll trade in Ballard in the penalty box for backes in the penalty box anytime. If we do go up against the Blues I hope Ballard causes Backes to blow a gasket.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Potatoe1 wrote:
He put him in 140 + games so he could "prove " himself..and Ballard completely failed as a top dman
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Uncle dans leg wrote:He can be effective when allowed to come across the blue line and his hip check can change a series but in VCR he has never been allowed to do that.
Tanev being so steady as a partner opens up this option for him but he needs to have the coaches blessing. If we play St. Louis, his hate for Backes could lead to some sweet splashes!!!
Ballard lays a hip check, what, maybe two times per year? Who cares?

The bottom line is that Ballard has produced offensively at a very low rate, has been marginal to downright poor defensively, has displayed poor decision making, has looked bad under pressure and been injury prone to boot.

Overall, even though Gillis did not give up a great deal and at the time it seemed like a reasonable move, the Ballard trade has been bad.

The fact that Ballard has looked OK with Tanev is not an endorsement of Ballard, by the way. In fact, it's more of a condemnation in my eyes. Ballard, the 30 year old, 500+ games played veteran, needs a 23 year old, 92 career games played young guy to be a "steadying influence" so that he looks OK out there...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

herb wrote: Ballard lays a hip check, what, maybe two times per year?
I don't think he gets the rope from the coaches to make these hits. Historically, I suspect he does and therefor his impact in games would be greater. Elsewhere he has been an important piece whereas here he's never earned the ice to be considered an important piece of the defense. His fault? Absolutely but maybe a different system he shines. Look at him in PHX
Honestly, I don't think he's a very good defensman...let alone worth 4.3/yr, but I do feel he's been miscast and hasn't been allowed to play to his strengths. He just hasn't fit into Vinyos' system at all.