04/18 Canucks @ Stars LIVE ON SNET-P Radio: 1040 @ 5:30 PST

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 04/18 Canucks @ Stars LIVE ON SNET-P Radio: 1040 @ 5:30

Post by Meds »

mathonwy wrote:Tonight, I saw something that I've never seen before.

Cory Schneider cracking under the pressure. Cory was absolutely shelled in the third and as goal after goal went in, we saw his play get sloppier and sloppier. His rebound control was absolute shite, he was passing the puck horribly and he was caught out of position a lot.

Luo on the other hand, has been through the ringer and I think his control over his emotions is much better now versus even a couple years ago.

The question is, is Cory the right goalie to go with right now when the chips are down? Your Canucks are trending downwards right now. I don't have any solid statistics to back this up. Just a gut feeling based on watching them play the last 10 games. Maybe we need a consistent familiar veteran presence in net right now to right the ship.

It's easy to point fingers right now but SRSLY, what does that really accomplish?

We need stability right now that typically starts with the guy in net.
That third period was certainly his worst in a while. But in the first and second periods he was very good.

He didn't have a prayer on Fiddler's goal.

He could have had the 2nd goal, but Barker and Edler completely fucked up, Barker followed his man while Edler let his guy go. Not sure if maybe Barker was thinking play man and Edler figured they were going to switch and play sides, who knows, but that's one Schneider should have bailed them out on. Shit happens.

The third goal he's off the hook. That was a terrible turnover by Burrows and Ballard. Benn rifled that. Nobody stopping that.

On the fourth goal he made a save on a deflected shot, defensive coverage was absent, and Whitney was all alone at the side of the net. Not on Schneids, it's tough to control a rebound in the NHL as is, tougher still when the shot is deflected.

The fifth goal was again a perfect shot, but again, this one he could have had.

I really got the impression after they scored the third goal that he had deflated. Like he had just gone the way of the rest of team and given up. Dallas had been coming stronger and faster since Fiddler tied it at the 12 minute mark of the the second period. Regardless, it wasn't a good third period for him, and we've never seen him sag so badly late in a game. Hopefully it's just a blip on a young starters career path, or maybe he's still under the weather and was really fatigued by the third, regardless, hopefully he just bounces back with a big game on Saturday against Detroit.

By the way, why is it that all these teams, who are supposed to be fairly devoid of talent, manage to get so many good looks in the slot on our goaltenders and are able to pick corners and wire shots into our net? I mean, it's not like we're seeing the same at the other end from our forwards? All we ever see is a hot-potatoe around the boards and bombs away from the point with guys there for the rebound about 30% of the time and a one-man net presence about 50% of the time.I don't get it? Maybe we should as the coach if that is his gameplan or if the players just aren't doing what they're told....
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Mëds wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: That said, the 'Nucks are tired, last game of a 5 game road trip, missing 2 key D men and playing a Dallas team desparate to get a win.
The canucks are on cruise control until the playoffs.
A crappy game, but not the end of the world.
And those are the EXACT same excuses we heard/read/made in each of the last few seasons. 2011 they cruised in, but they dominated in that cruise. Apart from a few games where they shit the bed, but those were wake up calls for a team that actually KNEW HOW to win.

If they are on cruise control until the playoffs (which makes no sense since they have yet to clinch) then they will be on cruise control until they hit the golf course 5 games after the playoffs begin.
I didn't see the game last night, but I would not characterize the team's play on this road trip as "cruise control". The Nashville and St Louis games were anything but. If anything, there was the risk of them getting injured playing that way. You make comparisons to 2012, but I'm not seeing it. What I am seeing is a team just like ZD described - tired, depleted on the back end and facing another desperate team.

Having said that, if they go into the playoffs with the current blueline roster on the ice they will go nowhere fast.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Lancer wrote: Having said that, if they go into the playoffs with the current blueline roster on the ice they will go nowhere fast.
No kidding. Barker is just useless. He is way too soft and slow.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote:For what it's worth I still think Booth is a better player than Raymond once when the playoffs start. In the 3rd line slot you want some size and physicality, someone to finish checks and bring an edge to that slot. Having 5'9" Roy at center means it's essential to have wingers with some size. Raymond really is a feather. Booth may not have scored much in Canucks colours but he has taken the body effectively...something Raymond simply can't do. Booth also draws lots of calls with his work ethic. He has racked up some goals in his career so offensive potential is there, whether people care to admit it or not.
Seeing as he's under contract right now and hopefully will be dressing sometime in the 1st round, I can see him displacing Raymond to the press box.
Agreed, Booth could be part of the solution. Before his latest injury, he was throwing his body around like no tomorrow. He might not put up points but he was definitely noticeable. On the other hand, Raymond is pretty much invisible when he does not put up points.
Last edited by Jovocop on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Jovocop wrote: Raymond is pretty much invisible when he does not put points.
When games become physical, he's a non-factor. The new(old) game plan against the Canucks is physically punish the shit out of them. There seems to be an unusual level of tolerance by NHL referees this year for roughing them up. It's gotten worse than ever in fact. Teams are getting away with 4 or more steamboats after the pass, an unlimited time limit on wall pinches, a free shot after every whistle, etc, etc etc.

It may sound like whining but if you focus just on the Sedins and how much interference these guys endure, it really is unparalleled compared to other top level stars in this league.
If you need air...call it in
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Raymond is pretty much invisible when he does not put points.
When games become physical, he's a non-factor. The new(old) game plan against the Canucks is physically punish the shit out of them. There seems to be an unusual level of tolerance by NHL referees this year for roughing them up. It's gotten worse than ever in fact. Teams are getting away with 4 or more steamboats after the pass, an unlimited time limit on wall pinches, a free shot after every whistle, etc, etc etc.

It may sound like whining but if you focus just on the Sedins and how much interference these guys endure, it really is unparalleled compared to other top level stars in this league.
MG identified the problem and brought in guys like Booth and Kassian to beef up the top nine. MG also tried to trade for Clowe. MG's direction is pretty clear. There is a reason why Higgins has a 4-yrs extension but not Raymond. The Canucks need to get bigger and meaner up front. Raymond will not be re-signed this summer.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: So Gillis is at fault for one thing, not replacing the coach after watching the same shit show for the last 2 years. The team is stale. There is no spark lately and no switch to be flipped, apparently, and coaches who have top talent that goes stale often find themselves looking for another job.
This last paragraph of Mëds thesis says it all. HE LOVES GILLIS, hates Vigneault.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:
MG identified the problem and brought in guys like Booth and Kassian to beef up the top nine. MG also tried to trade for Clowe. MG's direction is pretty clear. There is a reason why Higgins has a 4-yrs extension but not Raymond. The Canucks need to get bigger and meaner up front. Raymond will not be re-signed this summer.
I agree, Booth is frighteningly tough, for those who trespass against him....
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If we get rid of Raymond, the Canucks will win Stanley Cups hand over fist.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:If we get rid of Raymond, the Canucks will win Stanley Cups hand over fist.
Lay of the Gin...Loser! :P
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Arachnid wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:If we get rid of Raymond, the Canucks will win Stanley Cups hand over fist.
I haven't tapped into the Gin yet, however, the transition from beer to Gin is nearing

I'm trying to decide who the real culprit is to the Canucks ongoing woes, Arachnid you lovable fag. Is it Vigneault or is it Raymond? It certainly isn't Gillis, Ballard or Booth.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
I haven't tapped into the Gin yet, however, the transition from beer to Gin is nearing

I'm trying to decide who the real culprit is to the Canucks ongoing woes, Arachnid you lovable fag. Is it Vigneault or is it Raymond? It certainly isn't Gillis, Ballard or Booth.
Could it be Fin? :eh:

Loveable fag... :oops:

What happened to fattie? :thumbs:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
Mëds wrote: So Gillis is at fault for one thing, not replacing the coach after watching the same shit show for the last 2 years. The team is stale. There is no spark lately and no switch to be flipped, apparently, and coaches who have top talent that goes stale often find themselves looking for another job.
This last paragraph of Mëds thesis says it all. HE LOVES GILLIS, hates Vigneault.
:roll:

Sigh. You try to give a guy a chance to engage in an intelligent conversation where he explains his side of the story.....he just isn't smart enough to do it.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Booth may not have scored much in Canucks colours
Reminder: David Booth scored 16G in 56 games with your Vancouver Canucks in the 11-12 season. I don't think that constitutes "not scoring much"... that's a very respectable number for a second liner.

Granted he didn't score much in 11 games this year, but in the games I saw he was a very noticeable presence, taking it to the net with authority on a regular basis. Looked more like bad luck to me.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: That said, the 'Nucks are tired, last game of a 5 game road trip, missing 2 key D men and playing a Dallas team desparate to get a win.
The canucks are on cruise control until the playoffs.
A crappy game, but not the end of the world.
And those are the EXACT same excuses we heard/read/made in each of the last few seasons. 2011 they cruised in, but they dominated in that cruise. Apart from a few games where they shit the bed, but those were wake up calls for a team that actually KNEW HOW to win.

If they are on cruise control until the playoffs (which makes no sense since they have yet to clinch) then they will be on cruise control until they hit the golf course 5 games after the playoffs begin.
Mëds, I'm not saying that it's a legitimate excuse, or that it's acceptable, but it's just the reality, with 7th & 8th D-men Alberts & Barker drawn in our defense looks crappy.
Against 3 teams desperate to make the playoffs, we went 1-1-1
RoyalDude wrote:
Mëds wrote: Where did I say that?
You just know who should be moved out and who were bad signings.

Still waiting for who you would have signed and who you would have traded away in exchange for who.
:roll:
Here's the difference between you and I, Mëds, when it comes to all things Canucks. You look for scapegoats, lower guys down the totem pole to throw under the bus. Me? I got straight to the top, the man in charge, the architect, the puppet master, string puller, top dog, king pin, buck stops here - Mike Gillis. He fucking sucks goat balls. AV has done an admirable job with this injury plagued season and key missing ingredients and a goalie whom Gillis won't but should have traded a long time ago for help somewhere else. I bet you blame AV for Gillis atrocious drafting record.
I'll disagree with you RD, I don't think that AV has done a great job.

In fact, I think BOTH Mëds & RD are correct in parts: 1.) GMMG has screwed the pooch, and hasn't gotten the right parts to get the job done, and 2.) AV hasn't done a great job of managing & motivating the assets he has. We went from top 3 in both PP and PK to a powerplay that looks like crap. (although a little better lately) Maybe it isn't all his fault, regardless, if he can't get the team game working or if the players have tuned him out, he's overstayed his effectivness.