Canucks @ Blues 5PM SNET-P, FS-SW

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Waffle
CC Veteran

Re: Canucks @ Blues 5PM SNET-P, FS-SW

Post by Waffle »

I didn't see or hear the game as I was flying and for some reason it was the Washington/leaves game on Westjet TV, but I caught the Team 1040 after game comments on the car radio on the way home from the airport. I just read the scoring chance data over on Canucks Army, and must say I am very surprized.

According to Team 1040, the Canucks played an inspired game, matched St. Louis' "physicality," and every Canuck "punched their time card and showed up" and "played their heart out." There is a huge difference between what the scoring chance data and the comments here suggest compared to the Team 1040 comments. Apparently everyone agrees that Schneider played very well, and it sounds like Edler is playing consistently better hockey.

I don't buy the x games in y nights observation any more as it wasn't that long ago that a Detroit team kicked Canuck butt on Detroit's third game in four nights. I think it has more to do with a team's desire to win a game rather than an energy factor. This was a more important game for the Blues than the Canucks after all.

I don't know if the Canucks have a higher gear in their game for the playoffs, but time will tell.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Nice to see Baltard stick up for himself when Backes gave him a couple of cheap shots. Burr should of just let them go, but he probably knew Ballard would get his lunch handed to him. Obviously, we don't want Ballard running around out there taking dumb penalties, but if he plays with emotion and with an edge, I think it'll bring something to our D. We have a few quiet/introverted guys back there like Hammer, Edler, Tan-Man and Barker, hopefully someone like Ballard can fire them up when he's playing. :lol:
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hmm...

I have the complete opposite take on this game compared to Mëds.

I thought the Canucks did quite well. They did not wilt when the Blues turned up the heat and gave as good as they got.

One also has to remember that this was the second game in a back-to-back against one of the toughest teams in the league that is in a race for their playoff lives.

I'm willing to accept this loss. We didn't back down from the physicality of the Blues, we got a point of the contest and nobody got injured. On to the next game and lets get these playoffs started ASAP.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

mathonwy wrote:Hmm...

I have the complete opposite take on this game compared to Mëds.

I thought the Canucks did quite well. They did not wilt when the Blues turned up the heat and gave as good as they got.

One also has to remember that this was the second game in a back-to-back against one of the toughest teams in the league that is in a race for their playoff lives.

I'm willing to accept this loss. We didn't back down from the physicality of the Blues, we got a point of the contest and nobody got injured. On to the next game and lets get these playoffs started ASAP.
I'm of the same opinion. The Blues are desperate to stay in the playoff picture, and the Canucks matched their intensity tonight. Despite the score I thought it was an entertaining, if only for the physical intensity of the game and I was mildly impressed to see the guys giving as well as they got and getting under Backes', and Sobotka's skin. Maybe Edler has to get engaged (or be engaged) physically in order to play to his potential because it seemed that as soon as it got rough, he played better. Dunno, but it would be nice to know what triggers that guy.

Playing their 3rd game in four nights with a depleted blueline and facing a desperate team, I'll take the loss without too much complaint. Having said that, I would rather not see the Canucks play these guys in the first round. Let them hang on to the 8th seed and pound the lights out of the Shit-Hawks before bowing out in 7. I don't know if the Canucks would have faced a better outcome if last night's game went on 5-on-5 and first goal wins.

While I'm happy the guys can match the battle level in some physically intense matches in StL and Nash, for the sake of staying healthy let's hope there's not too many more of those until the games really count. :mrgreen:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:This was a test for the team, they failed. There are no single points in the playoffs, so Schneider doing the team a favor and stealing the point is all well and good tonight, but it won't mean shit 2 weeks from now.
There are no shootouts two weeks from now either. So yeah...
Mëds wrote:I'll never get why people are "ok" with the team playing "injury free" and "tuning up" with only a few games left.

They have done this every year and they end up getting bounced. In 2011 they played dominant hockey all year, even right up to the playoffs. They went to the finals. Every year they take it easy and go for the whole "flipping the switch" move come playoff time they end up getting embarrassed.
In 2011 I vividly recall the Canucks losing their fourth and third-last games to the 30th overall Edmonton Oilers by an aggregate 6-1 score.

So... yeah.....
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Waffle wrote:I didn't see or hear the game as I was flying and for some reason it was the Washington/leaves game on Westjet TV.
Damn Toronto media trying to cram crappy leaves/Jays games down our throats. :evil:
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

There were things I liked about our play last night and things I defiantely didn't like. Barker made me cringe and Kassian didn't have enough intensity for my liking.

but more to the point, wtf do we do against a collapsing defense where you can count all 5 players within 10 feet of the goalie in single screen shot. Seriously, this collapse defense is as bad as the old neutral zone trap, clutch/grab style hockey we saw 10 years ago.

I'm not sure what the answer is... that isn't a complete dick move like deliberately wiring shots for blocking defenders??

Perimiter play isn't going to do it for us in the play-offs.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

The Canucks looked like they were conserving energy, until the game required burning what was left in the tank.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

sagebrush wrote:The Canucks looked like they were conserving energy, until the game required burning what was left in the tank.
Switch...?...... :idea:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

They did carry the play in OT. That may be as big as the 'effort switch' gets.

Getting Higgins & Tanev back for the playoffs would be another kind of switch.
Last edited by sagebrush on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

sagebrush wrote:They did carry the play in OT. That may be as big as the 'effort switch' gets.

Getting Higins & Tanev back for the playofs would be another kind of switch.
Just gotta hang in there til Boothy gets back ;)
If you need air...call it in
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
sagebrush wrote:They did carry the play in OT. That may be as big as the 'effort switch' gets.

Getting Higins & Tanev back for the playofs would be another kind of switch.
Just gotta hang in there til Boothy gets back ;)
Was hoping Booth would be our addition for the second round of the playoffs. :thumbs:
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

wafflecombine wrote: I'm not sure what the answer is... that isn't a complete dick move like deliberately wiring shots for blocking defenders??
The answer is: No. Do whatever it takes within the rules to win. (and sometimes outside, just don't get caught)

If the defenders want to collapse, then it's bombs away from the point via Garrison.

Fuck am I ever glad we have this guy. Best acquisition of the off-season and one of the initial casualties of the lack of a pre-season.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

It's amazing sometimes how differently people can perceive the same game! Though the game started out as a yawner, St. Louis got very physical and the refs let the game become a bit of a free for all. It appeared as though the Blues were dominating the Canucks even though the Canucks were trying to rise up to the challenge. Backes was a beast, and the Blues forwards were punishing. It was discouraging to see how poorly the Canucks were doing at making it out of their own end. They would chip it out only to have another wave of Blues coming down their throat. It was an intense game. The Canucks were hanging on to a one goal lead until midway thru the third.

Anyways, I for one am a little concerned about the prospect of mtg the Blues in the first round. Apparently, just 2 days before, they played their most intense game of the season against the Hawks and lost 2-0. I have to think that it doesn't bode so well for us to get out of the west let alone win the first round - we'll see. If Schneider can play lights out, and we get some opportune scoring, ya never know.

It's a great time of the year though - no Alta teams in the dance again! :D
cc oldtimer
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Out shot 36-22.

But we matched them physically......

Only one or two real scoring chances through nearly the first 30 minutes.

But we gave as good as we got.....

It's like watching the 2007-2008 teams again. We just aren't hearing from AV about a lack of bounces and puck luck.....yet. (No I'm not pinning this on AV).

I'll sure be glad when we show some emotion and match opponent's physically but lose by a goal in the playoffs after getting out shot and out chanced by a wide margin. At least we will have given as good as we got. Frig.

And why do our defenceman suck so badly when pressured? Why does our breakout look so scrambled?